Toronto and Beyond

Flu shots (Read 153 times)

Go Pre!

I posted this in Health and Nutrition, but thought you locals may be able to offer up some advice. I am due to get a Flu Shot tomorrow. I am one of those people who have never gotten around to getting one in the past so I have no idea how it will affect me. I t didn't occur to me when I made this apppointment that I was running a marathon on Sunday. I think I may rechedule, it could f*&^# me up ya? Anyone had a flu shot that made them feel like shit?
      Had a flu shot 2 or 3 years ago.... didn't have any adverse reaction. I think the story that getting a flu shot will make you sick is an urban legend and a pile or crap. I'd just wait for Trent to answer... he may be more qualified than me. Jason

Go Pre!

I'd just wait for Trent to answer... he may be more qualified than me. Jason
        haha, don't be too sure of that. Actually, ya, he has been a great help somedays!
          I think flu shots are just a scam, brought to us by the major pharmaceutical companies. Great when they say just because you get the shot you still may get the flu, but it probably won't be as bad. Yeah OK, so in my adult life I don't think I ever had the flu. I did get the shot twice, so I guess the pharmaceutical companies will say those two years I was saved because of the shot. I don't want to give my immune system too many different diseases to remember anyway Big grin. That being said, I'd hate like hell for someone to get the flu and didn't get the shot because they listened to a mailman Big grin. If you want to get one, go ahead, don't worry about the mercury or instances like the year when the flu shot containing the swine flu vaccine probably killed more people than the flu ever would have Wink I had no ill effects at all after the two times I did get the shot.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

I have had two flu shots in my life. Didn't affect me one bit except for a teeny bit of soreness at the injection site. I won't be getting a flu shot this year. The only reason that I would get a flu shot is if I had elderly relatives that I could potentially pass the flu along to or if I worked in a healthcare setting like a clinic, doctor's office, nursing home or hospital.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Sorry Pat, but I don't agree. What possible agenda could there be in giving FREE flu shots? Flu shots are worth the effort. You won't get the flu from them. It is dead flu virus. What is the influenza vaccine and what does it do? The influenza vaccine (flu shot) is made from particles of killed influenza viruses. The influenza vaccines in Canada cannot give you the flu because they do not contain live influenza virus. A person who receives the flu shot develops immunity (protection) for three types of influenza viruses. The viruses that cause influenza change often so people need to get a shot each year to be protected. The body needs about two weeks to build up protection to the virus, and this protection may last four months or longer. The flu shot will not protect against colds and other respiratory illnesses that may be mistaken for influenza. More info here: http://www.toronto.ca/health/cdc/factsheets/influenza_factsheet.htm#05 I get one every year. Other than a bit of soreness in the arm where the injection is administered the next day, I've never had any side effects. A good thing to consider if you have kiddos in the house. Or, the elderly. You should not get a flu shot if you are allergic to eggs. Seriously.
                Sorry Pat, but I don't agree. What possible agenda could there be in giving FREE flu shots? Flu shots are worth the effort. You won't get the flu from them. It is dead flu virus.
                Taken from the site below is the following info.The amount of mercury contained in a multi-dose flu shot is 250 times higher in mercury than what is legally classified as hazardous waste. A test was done where x thousands of children were given a placebo and x thousands were given the real vaccine. End result no difference in infection rates. http://www.naturalnews.com/024624.html The site lists six good reasons to avoid Flu shots. However I don't want to change your opinion, do what works for you and your family by all means get the shot. I took the other route and avoided the shots throughout my life. To each his own Wink. Throughout history science has errored many times with medications. Who really knows why there is a greater incidence of Cancer and other diseases. Maybe someday in the future, science will discover what they did in the past was inccorrect. Somewhat similar to antibiotics and the development of Super bugs. Unless I'm in real need and my body can't cope I'd prefer to pass on meds. I'll just let it heal itself. Another reason I don't do the ice bath thing. If I'm sore I'll let my body take care of it unless I'm absolutely sure it can't cope with the problem. Then I obviously have no choice sort of like - "Could be screwed if I do, but definitely screwed if I don't" I like to keep these situations to a minimum. The pharmaceutical companies are not doling out vaccines free of charge. Just because they are free to you and I, someone is paying for them. I'm guessing the government of Ontario in our case.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

You're right. To each their own. Personal feelings aside, I find the footnote at the bottom of the website you cite interesting: The information on this site is provided for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended as a substitute for professional advice of any kind. Truth Publishing assumes no responsibility for the use or misuse of this material. Funny. No such comments on either the Toronto Health or Health Canada sites.
                    LMAO I didn't read that part. Anyway I asked on the other flu thread but maybe you know. Why is the flu seasonal? Why does it appear the same few months every year?

This is interesting stuff. Putting aside the question whether we should get a flu shot or not, what I'd like to know is the effectiveness of the health policy of paying for and encouraging flu shots for the entire province. Free flu shots used to be available only for eligible individuals: nursing home residents, people with chronic diseases, the elderly and the very young. A few years ago (I think 2002?) everyone was eligible. The intent of course is to keep people healthy and away from emergency rooms and doctor's offices. It would be interesting to know whether the government has even bothered to measure any of that and whether there has been any benefit. I seem to recall hearing from a health researcher that there has been no positive impact on the population health. And at what cost? I think if we could get more people off the couch and exercisiing - like us! - we'd all be healthier as a province/nation. Tongue

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.