Toronto and Beyond

Toronto Goodlife Marathon (Read 256 times)

'Cause Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon is so yesterday...
    redleaf

Thanks for the giggles! I am actually looking into volunteering through the RR - I wonder if they'll let me wear my jersey? Big grin

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

I agree Scotia is old news..just kidding Dave Wink So what the hey is there 2 start times for this thing? Why would the half start an hour before the full?

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

early start time for the half ensures that I will beat the elite marathon runners........ My second goal for every half.... 1) finish 2) finish my half before anyone finishes the full. I might be half cut before you guys finish. Jason
            Heck you may miss lastcall before I'm done!

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Hi guys I certainly haven't trained for a half, but I am toying with the 5k. Tonight I went out and did 5.09 km at 28:24. That gives me a 5:34 pace and it would put me in the top 5 of my age group. Hmmmmm.....I am just worried that I am just starting to feel better - don't want to jinx the recovery but my long term plan remains the half-marathon. And, I'm not sure whether I could get too close to the start - last year it was crazy. And since it's a run/walk the walkers get to the front and walk 3-4 abreast. I hate that. That half looks really tough at the beginning in Hogg's hollow. Who's ran it before?

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Go Pre!

I love it!

Go Pre!

Hi guys I certainly haven't trained for a half, but I am toying with the 5k. Tonight I went out and did 5.09 km at 28:24. That gives me a 5:34 pace and it would put me in the top 5 of my age group. Hmmmmm.....I am just worried that I am just starting to feel better - don't want to jinx the recovery but my long term plan remains the half-marathon. And, I'm not sure whether I could get too close to the start - last year it was crazy. And since it's a run/walk the walkers get to the front and walk 3-4 abreast. I hate that. That half looks really tough at the beginning in Hogg's hollow. Who's ran it before?
                  Big race 5ks are rough with the crowds. You must get to the front. I managed to get Cam (8) to the front, still 300 or so in front of us. This allowed him to run pretty free and he ended up 3rd in his age group. Yesterday, his sister paced him and they got stuck behind a mess. their approx splits were 6:00, 6:00, 5:00, 4:15, 4:15. Poor guys was keen to run a 22 - 23 minute 5k and take home some hardware, which he would have even in the 14 and under age group! Last year, I paced him at the Toronto Marathon 5K and we were pretty close to the front and still got caught up in walkers. May be best to hang wayyyyyyy back and run a chip time 10 minutes slower than gun time. To answer your Toronto half marathon question. I have run it. Hoggs Hollow is the toughest part but is over early and is not as big a beast as you might think it would be. Especially if you have trained on hills. The final 2k is a slight but long hill and will pose no problem if you have not yet bonked. Save some for the finish boys!
                    I ran the Toronto race as my first half last year, and will be back to try to improve on my time. Agree that Hoggs hollow looks big from the bottom, but is not all that bad. The gentle rise at the end is just enough that your extra effort for strong finish is used up in just maintaining your pace. The start is pretty crowded, I started from the sidewalk last year in order not to be too far back, you could try that. What times are you guys planning to run? Possibly some of us might run together, at least part of the way. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I hate making time goals public..... but I'm looking to do the half in 1:55 or better..... hopefully better.

Go Pre!

I hate making time goals public..... but I'm looking to do the half in 1:55 or better..... hopefully better.
                        I hear you. I have ran much slower than publicly announced time goals. That said, I am coinfident you will bust a hole in 1:55!
                          Yesterday, his sister paced him and they got stuck behind a mess. their approx splits were 6:00, 6:00, 5:00, 4:15, 4:15. Poor guys was keen to run a 22 - 23 minute 5k and take home some hardware, which he would have even in the 14 and under age group! To answer your Toronto half marathon question. I have run it. Hoggs Hollow is the toughest part but is over early and is not as big a beast as you might think it would be. Especially if you have trained on hills. The final 2k is a slight but long hill and will pose no problem if you have not yet bonked. Save some for the finish boys!
                          The little guy is gonna kick your ass soon Big grin We have a similar hill here in Scarberia I used for training a few times back in June. Looks like I'll have to visit it a couple more times over the next week or so. Darn I hated that thing, but I did manage eight repeats on it, in about 80 degree temps.

Jason i am planning to break 1:50, maybe 1:48 if things go well. You have been training much more consistently so should be running a similar pace, I would guess! Perhaps we will meet at the start; I will wear a white TO Marathon cap and blue shirt. One more thought about the hill, don't pull too much out of the energy bank powering up; 15kms is a long time to be paying interest on the loan! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Check out this site:http://www.freemyteam.com/teams/107-freemyteam-community You can get free food at Shoeless Joe's. For whatever that's worth.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Wow, Tuf_Aint_Enough, I just noticed your last long run. If you can recover from that, in time for this race. I have no doubt I'll be recovered from my jog as well. Damn, we'll be calling this race "The Davids Duel" 5:06 pace for a 21 mile long run? Did I say Holy crap? Big grin