Grandmas Marathon

Within 6 weeks (Read 320 times)

Within the 6 week mark, and checking to see how everyone is holding up. Trent, congratulations on getting through back to back marathons! Double congrats to Mike for hitting is goal of qualyfying for Boston! The family is down one, as my brother Bob has officially withdrawn due to nagging injuries. His hamstring injury never recovered. Due to my schedule, I lost 2 important long runs, but am getting back on track.

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

I hit a bump in the road, too. I started having some calf issues, but they seem to be gone with plenty of time to get ready for Grandma's. Sorry to hear about your brother, those nagging injuries are tough to get rid of and can be really frustrating. Happy to see your still on track. Trent is amazing, I thought i was crazy for trying to run a marathon every couple of weeks. He does one every week and it's no big deal. good luck with the final stages of your training.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent is a freak show
        Yeah yeah, I know. Wink Here we are, 72 hours out from marathon #2. My leg swelling is nearly all gone and I am walking fine. My legs do still feel a bit beat up, but I will go grab my first run this afternoon. All on grass. 3-5ish miles. Mostly gently. I will hop back in the saddle next week and try and grab a big week the following, colmonating with a long run 3 weeks before Grandma's. Good thing I have to work all this weekend, I was beginning to look at marathonguide to see if there were any nearby marathons for a #3 in 3 weeks... Wink Sorry about all the injuries. I'm still waiting for mine.
          Is there a way to attach a excel file to forums??. One of my many jobs is taking care of my 5 month old daughter. She's not big enough to fit in a running carriage, so my down time from work I read, and surf a little. Found this excellent excel file for Boston, and adapted it to Grandma's.

2018 Goals:

Grandmas Marathon

Try this link and see if it works http://web.mac.com/mcna/iWeb/Site/Blog/Blog.html Hope this is helpful. I will be out in Duluth a week prior, and plan to do some of my easy runs along some of the course. I can update this info as I go along.

2018 Goals:

Grandmas Marathon

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That is a cool pacer file. Some thoughts - Time of day implies that you will start on time and be at the front of the pack when the gun fires. I expect that neither will occur. If it were me, I would eliminate that altogether on any final printout. When you get marathon brain, it will be confusing to try and sort out the details. So you have this set up for even pace or even effort? Lemon drop hill is not a bad hill, nor is the drop at mile 25, but by that point in a marathon, anything that deviates from your rhythm is deadly. Both these hills require a hell of a mental effort to get through. Also, downtown, the streets are cobbled, which is a change that requires effort to get through. Do you have a backup plan? Even splits to a sub-4:00 in your first marathon is a fantastic goal, but it does not always work out, especially if the weather does not cooperate or some other variable surfaces. You need to have something to keep you going even if your primary goal slips. The less thought your backup plan requires, the better. Betty's Pies. In your week in Duluth, make sure you get to Betty's Pies in Two Harbors!!! Also, go visit Split Rock lighthouse. Good luck!!
                I was just playing around with the file. I think it is best used for the experienced marathoner. Since my training hasn't gone as planned, I am focusing on running comfortably and finishing. If I do that, I still will beat my brother! My sister is a run/walker - 6 minutes run and 1 minute walk. Plans on completing it in 4:30. Worst case scenario, I tag along with her. The 4 hour mark is a "perfect world" goal. I looked at times beginning at 23 miles (right after Lemon Drop), and may bring along a small wrist band with pace information for the last 3.2 miles. How long is the cobbled section? I didn't realize that. That must be a pain for those of us out there for 4 + hours and coming in tired!!

2018 Goals:

Grandmas Marathon

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The cobbled section is a pain for everybody. I think it starts around 23.5 or so, and goes right until about 25, when you cut left and fly down a big big hill to the lakefront. From there, you will go around the DECC (the convention center), making a large leftward circle. Then you will make a large rightward circle, go under an overpass, then you will have about a 1/4 mile straightaway into the finishing chute. The last bit is packed with people.
                  Phil7757

Sounds like everyone is progressing very well --- I have been struggling with a tight achilles tendon which seems to be getting better as I stay off the treadmill. Was hoping for a sub four hour (my first in Phoenix under 4) but have not been able to log the miles and will only get one 20 miler in before I start the taper so am looking for secondary goals. Congragulations on the Boston Qualifier for Mike and those back to back Marathons for Trent.
                      Never had a problem with the treadmill in the past, but after a coupple year hiatus, have found the treadmill a killer. Don't know if its age, poor form, or poor shape - but the treadmill hurt! trying to get to the roads. My schedule hasa been so hectic that I can't keep a regular schedule anymore! Plan to keep treading along!!!

2018 Goals:

Grandmas Marathon