Grandmas Marathon

10 - Weeks to Go (Read 291 times)

Phil7757

Wondered how everyone was coming a long. I cam up a little lame on my long run a week ago and gave it a little break which has helped.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

With 10 weeks to go, there is plenty of time still to finesse your fitness, so good work in taking a break! I ran an average 21 miler this past weekend in the snow and cold and wind. I loved it! I am up to 21 miles now because I have a marathon in 3 weeks, and another the following week. But I'm nuts. In the 6 weeks between #2 and Grandmas, I plan to recover a bit then build back for a strong taper and a good marathon. If I can...
        Trent, you are crazy....but I'm impressed! Ran my first "long" run yesterday - 18 miles. Between my schedule and the weather, I missed my 16 miler last week, but was able to run a 15K race. Overall I think my endurance is improving, but I'm not so sure I can break the 4 hour mark. I was supposed to average 9:40 miles for the 18, but averaged 10 min. I'm thinking I will continue the current schedule and see how my old body responds! To me, the 4 hour barrier isn't the end all, but a 4:05, 4:15, or 4:20 to me is the same thing. I will probably wait until the morning of GM to make my final decision on pacing, but feel like going out with the 4 hour goal and see what happens.

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

Phil7757

Equally impressed with Trent's running --- though does appear a bit much. Smile TMCNA 18 is a long way and am sure you will run a lot faster on Marathon day --- 4 is a nice goal but for me the important thing is to finish the race without an injury so I want to keep running and to try again.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Never be impressed by foolishness Wink
            Phil7757

I think it is great that your body can hold up to the training. Which marathon are you running in three weeks?
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have some sort of weirdo body. I try to beat it down as hard as I can but it just seems to take it (well, except for the hammie that has been bugging me since I stopped marathoning in '06). Of course I have not gotten a ton faster in the past year, after I really equilibrated. My upcoming marathons are Country Music Marathon in Nashville on 4/28, followed by the Flying Pig in Cincinatti on 5/6. And then Grandmas 6 weeks later. I will likely only run one of those hard, and it will probably be Country Music, although the weather can be nasty. If that happens, I will slow down and just have fun at these two and push it at Grandma's. This is on the heels of a year of pure madness last year, in which I foolishly ran 8 in 8 months - - Germany to France Marathon - 4/23/06 - 3:50:32 - Country Music Marathon - 4/29/06 - 4:23:27 (ran with the 4:15 pace group as a pacer-aide) - Grandma's Marathon - 6/17/06 - 4:02:59 (85 and HUMID by the finish) - Grandfather Mountain Marathon - 7/8/06 - 4:23:00 (course was 27 miles) - Pike Peak Marathon - 8/20/06 - 6:48:17 - Toronto Marathon - 10/15/06 - 3:50:43 - Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey marathon - 11/19/06 - 4:14:30 (big hills) - Rocket City Marathon - 12/9/06 - 4:04:53 (cold and I was tired, go figure) Silly me.
                Phil7757

That is a lot of running I hear CMM is hilly --- What did you think of Pike's Peak? Assuming I make it through Grandma's and want to run another any recommendations? I have heard the large one NYC, Chicago, or MCM are pretty fun races.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah. A lot. Like I said, I'm foolish. CMM is somewhat hilly, although not terrible. Pikes Peak was a blast! Of course it only had one hill. But it was a big one Wink It was very very very difficult, but you get to take all day doing it and a week or more hanging out in the mountains acclimating to the elevation. Lotta good Fall marathons. What part of the world do you live in and I can tell you of ones I know. This Fall marathon is also close to my heart: click. But it is hilly. Very hilly. Very very hilly. Thus its charm. Evil grin
                    Phil7757

I live in St. Louis --- our marathon is this weekend but headed to a family wedding in North Carolina. I get to run with my daughter who is going to school out there and who is running the half in Duluith (her first half). The link looked you posted looks very interesting --- may look into it after Grandma's --- depending on how the training holds up - still nursing a tender left leg (shin splint I hope).