Grandmas Marathon

Second Marathon (Read 281 times)

Phil7757

Just joined the group. Will be coming up to the race from St. Louis, Mo. This is my second - First was the Phoenix Rock n Roll in January. Am wondering if too much too soon as I am starting to get a little fatigued with 12 weeks to go. Am hoping to improve on my 3:58 but if it is like last year no way. Any advice or encouragement is welcom.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Welcome! Tell us about your training.
      Phil7757

I am using the smartcoach on Runner's World which has me running 4 days a week for someone running 25 - 30 miles. Last long run was two weeks ago at a little over 13 miles (cut it a little short). The program builds up to 35 - 40 miles with three 20 mile long runs. This week's long is 16 and starting to dread it already as I am feeling a bit fitagued. The program for the Phoenix was a Hal Higdon modified with two 20 mile runs and longest weekly mileage was just over 40 --- this program is a little lighter in that it has 4 running rather than 5. Started running in November 2005 (45 pounds ago) to get in shape for my daughter's senior father daughter dance.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Grandma's will likely be my 17th marathon, but I am a bit crazy Wink It will be my third Grandma's. It can be a good course unless the conditions are unfavorable, as they were last year. How did you do in Phoenix? My thoughts: I think that the 3 x 20 milers is a fairly advanced program. If you are dreading your coming long run then that suggests you have overtrained your body and need a rest. Dreading a long run (these are supposed to be the highlight of your training) tells me that this has all become too much work. Try to take them easy and don't worry if you need to do a slightly shorter distance. Also, I find that something that helps me is to run a half distance sometime midweek, so I would run a 9 mile Wednesday run for an 18 mile long run. Then my other two runs would be about 4-5 miles. Are you taking short weeks between your weeks with long runs? I think you may do well to step back and shoot for two 20s instead. Ultimately, the two things you can do to ensure success at the marathon is to get a good base and to ensure that you are rested and uninjured.
            Welcome Phil. Not sure if you are new to RA, but I have found this site very helpful. Looking through the forums, I have found Trents comments right on target. Haven't meet him yet, but maybe I'll run into him at Betty's. As you might know from this forum, this is my first marathon. Looking for a 4 hour time. I'm also using a RW smart coach guide, but it has me running 3 times a week. Trent has suggested I get a 4th day in, maybe right before the long run, but I haven't managed the time yet. My program has 2 - 20 milers. Long run this week is 16. The program has me gradually increasing my pace on the long runs, initially 9:52 min, and now 9:40 min. At the end, I beleive it gets to 9:16 min. I tend to read to much, and have found a lot of conflicting information out there. I have a science background, and like to have things proven....but never want to lose sight that the most important thing is to have fun and enjoy the experience. Trent, I tend to do "progressive" runs, and finish the final 2 or 3 miles of my long runs near my Marathon projected pace. What are your thoughts - Long slow runs (get your body used to running a long time) versus running some at faster pace (train slow and you'll run slow). Phil, how did it go in Phoenix? Did you fade at the end, or feel pretty good?

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I like the progressive runs, starting out nice and slow and then picking it up to where you are at your marathon pace by the end. Most experts tell you to startt at a pace which is 60 seconds per mile slower than your marathon pace, then pick it up in the last third of the long run. I have been bad recently and run the last 2/3 at marathon pace or faster...it is just too fun Smile But I lack the discipline to run em slower. It may come back to haunt me on marathon day, but we'll see. In general, the idea is to run most of your runs easy and then throw in a bit of work to keep your legs and cardio system strong, no more than once per week. If you can run 4 days or more per week, that also helps you keep the miles up without having too many long runs, so you are fresher for each run. I generally run 5-6 days per week. But, as I said, I am a bit nuts Wink
              Phil7757

Thanks for the good advice and encouragement --- think I will move my training a notch down with the two 20 mile rather than the three as I am starting to feel burned out. My time in Phoenix was 3 hours 58 minutes and change --- I was shooting for under 4 and was pleased. My 20 mile pace was around 8:40 and the last 6.2 were 10 minutes + never felt really bad just gradually was slowing down. Weather in Phoenix was close to ideal around 32 at the start and never got above 45 which turned out to be very comfortable for the run.
                  Sounds like an impressive 20 miles for a first time marathon! I've had problems with pacing - also have problems with running faster than marathon pace on long runs. Do you know your split times? If you went out a little fast, it sounds like a sub 3:50 would be reasonable with good pacing alone.

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

Phil7757

10K was 53:26; half was 1:52:54; 20K was 2:55:15 --- fell off quiet a bit in the last 6.2 but was tracking the miles and knew what I needed to get under 4 hour so may have let up a bit. It was interesting reading your experience with the pacers as I was thinking maybe a 3:45 pace group would work but don't need to go out at a 8:10 pace. I suppose the really important thing is to feel good about the race and the experience and the time takes care of itself. Thanks for all the good information.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I was planning on running with the 3:40 pace group if the conditions are good and the 3:50 if not. At Grandma's, the pace groups are 3:30, 3:40, 3:50, 4:00 and then I think 4:15, 4:30, etc. Last year, on a HOT and HUMID day, the 3:40 pacer went out way too fast and it just killed me. I never recovered. 4:03. Dang.