Grandmas Marathon

Less than 3 weeks (Read 312 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Finished a 20 miler this past week, and feel tired! Next day was fine. Wish I was able to keep up on my program. I missed a couple of long runs and haven't consistently gotten in runs. Feel I will definetely finish - which is the primary goal! My program calls for a 3 week taper. Don't feel I need it since I didn't put all the miles in, but I don't think adding miles will be helpful this late. I think I have a 12 miler and 10 miler left. Are you recovered??

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have been doing very well. I increased my miles but brought my intensity way down. I feel very recovered, but am not sure I can pick up the effort just yet to run hard. However, today's run was downright terrible. I could not even run at a sluggish pace without feeling like I was sprinting, and after 15 miles of my 20 miler, I bagged the rest. Better not to torture myself. All my other runs in the past 3 weeks have been great! Just not today, so I am not terribly worried. I think it was a combination of heat, humidity, fatigue and the fact that I have been on the road for the past 9 days, all combined with poor nutrition from road-food. I am now back at home and this week should hopefully go better. My plan for GM is just to run it as another easy run. Unless the conditions are perfect (e.g., 43 degrees and cloudy at the start), in which case I may shoot to run it hard. Otherwise, based on the conditions and how I feel, I will either shoot just for sub-4 or simply to match my last two marathons from the past month, with even splits, and to have some fun.
        That's my plan also, have fun! Get the 1st marathon behind me, and live to run another! It's amazing how important nutrition is. Before starting up running again, I was watching the carb thing. I was always feeling drained. Now I added most of the carbs back, especially after long runs. It feels like it improves my recovery time. Maybe a few Betty Pies will do the trick!

2018 Goals:

Grandmas Marathon

Finished my last long run on Sunday ... 24 miles. Shocked It was hotter than ideal, and the last 6 miles were pretty painful, but the hay is in the barn, as they say. GM was originally gonna be my BQ marathon, but too many injuries and real-life distractions intervened. Now, I think best-case scenario is to match my 3:30 PR. But if its hot, humid, or windy, I'm giving myself license to just have fun.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

I have one more 50 plus mile week of training and I'll be ready to go. Like you, Trent, I felt a little sluggish Sunday after a hard 12k on Saturday and I cut my last 20 miler down to 14. I'm hoping to finish under 3:15. That's been an important number to me for a long time, and if the weather cooperates i'm going to take a crack at it. Rest well everyone and we'll see you in a couple of weeks.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hey, what a coincidence! I'm hoping to finish my first 20 miles in about 3:15 Wink What is everybody's travel plan?
                We'll get up there Friday afternoon. Give the kids a chance to play at the waterpark and me to relax. We ought to meet somewhere Saturday morning before the race starts. I remember a lot of waiting around before the race started last year.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes. The starting area is prettu big. There is a car dealership just behind all the potties. Folks, y'all can email me by clicking on this and filling out the form. Perhaps we can share email addresses and phone numbers to try and touch base - click
                    i'll be there for a week. will be visiting the inlaws and carbo loading on betty's pies!!! sounds like a good idea to met up; at least you 'll be able to see the before. you may have to come back after dinner to see my after

2018 Goals:

Grandmas Marathon

Phil7757

I hope to get a long run in tomorrow and then a two week taper --- missed my long run last week to run in a 10k with my daughter and am still nursuing a tight hamstring. Hope to see you guys up there --- I arrive on Thursday evening and wife and daughter on Friday. Daughter is running the half.