Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Good idea? Or not.... (Read 210 times)

I'm at run 4 min: walk 2 min trying to stay under the level that will annoy my ITB...so far so good. BUT, what is happening is that I am doing the run intervals much faster than I would if there were no walk breaks.., Today was my first attempt at a longer time (going by time rather than distance)..and still, my pace ended up being the same as if I had run the whole thing at my easy pace..so Black eye or not? My AHR ends up being same/lower than if I had run the whole way. I guess I would like some thoughts on if this is a bad thing to be running this way...could I be slowing my recovery... should I start looking at my watch and make myself slow down during the run intervals, or is this a good thing that could lead to improvement in my easy pace when I am finally ready to drop the walk breaks.... My thought was to keep the walk breaks in until I get my longest runs in before attempting to decrease/eliminate the walk breaks. I'm running my normal routes, so yes, there are hills involved, but I'm trying to stay away from the steepest ones.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

The Thunder

I am sure Jeff Galloway has a website.

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Why is it sideways?

I don't know much about the run/walk methods. Hopefully JK will chime in. But I think the philosophy behind the run/walk is to make the runs a bit faster so that when you're running, you're really going instead of settling into too much of a "plod." So, it sounds to me like you're doing things right, especially if your heart rate is lower, you're getting in some faster running, and you're going just as far. Sounds like win-win-win.
            I don't know too much about the run/walk stuff either - except when I'm too tired to run - then it just comes naturally. Smile But in addition to JK, you may want to check with BadDawg out in the GSP or maybe in the Marathon Training group (I think I saw him there before). I'm pretty sure he trained for and ran a couple marathons using the Galloway method.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?