Letters & Opinions

L&O Photography Thread (Read 132 times)

Ultra Cowboy

I thought the clouds were cool on the Trail run yesterday....

WYBMADIITY

Save

superspike113

Honorary Old

If you guys use photo editing software at all, you can get more details in the clouds if you drop your highlights.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

RunJasonRun

If you guys use photo editing software at all, you can get more details in the clouds if you drop your highlights.

I just tinker with my iPhone.  I should have done more adjustments with this photo that I took today, where I really wanted the shot, but could not find a way to lessen the brightness of the sun without darkening the entire image too much.  One in color and one in black and white.

You got 'em.  Let the anticipation begin.  

n a m

1stBrn ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Unicrn

Nice photos Jason!

Moving the conversation from the grind thread.

Do you shoot in manual mode?

Most of the time.  It depends on what I’m doing. Every time I go out I learn something new. It can be frustrating when the moment passes and you didn’t get the shot because of inexperience. Landscapes I use a tripod and same for stars.  At least you can plan for most of these.  I used a stacking program a 4 or 5 years ago. Things may have improved since then.

Last year I was playing with time lapses and shutter speed. 70D doesn’t have a built in intervelometer so that can be interesting.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

lol, I could not resist downloading rocky's pic and applying a couple of Graduated ND filters.  Not that the original is bad, I was going for a stormy look

Jason's pics look great

superspike113

Honorary Old

Nice photos Jason!

Moving the conversation from the grind thread.

Most of the time.  It depends on what I’m doing. Every time I go out I learn something new. It can be frustrating when the moment passes and you didn’t get the shot because of inexperience. Landscapes I use a tripod and same for stars.  At least you can plan for most of these.  I used a stacking program a 4 or 5 years ago. Things may have improved since then.

Last year I was playing with time lapses and shutter speed. 70D doesn’t have a built in intervelometer so that can be interesting.

Yes, I have been there. Or forgotten to change my settings and had people with blurry faces because my aperture was too wide.

I would love to try astrophotography. There's a guy local to me that shoots really cool pictures- Kevin Roylance. My problem is that I'm not really willing to drive around in the middle of the night, and we don't get out hiking as much as I'd like for landscapes.

Depending on the look you're going for you can do focus stacking or HDR edits. I'm personally not a lover of HDR but it has its applications.

One of the reasons that I upgraded my camera is that the low light performance wasn't great, I would get a fair amount of grain starting at ISO400. I'm looking forward to trying some of those techniques with this camera. From what I understand astrophotography can be a real guessing game of balancing your ISO and shutter interval.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

Nasreddin Hoja

I'm finding Egypt a treasure trove of photo opportunities and not just the ruins. Just shot a video of some kids attaching a rowboat to the cruise boat to sell shit.  Wilder than it sounds.  But that's what photos do.  Thousand words.

I like action shots.  More and more I'm moving to video.  Shooting more and more of it with birds and fish.  But stills can convey movement if shot at the right time.  Something like this random ski shot.

superspike113

Honorary Old

I need to learn video editing. I shot a bunch of footage the last time we went to Hawaii with the intent to make a short video and never did it. So now I'm waiting til after our trip in February so that I can do both the old and new one during the same free trial of Adobe Premier Pro 

n a m

1stBrn ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Unicrn

^^ YouTube.  Almost anything that you can think of is on there. How long is the Adobe Premiere subscription before it becomes obligatory?  I picked up Final Cut because I didn’t need another monthly payment (and didn’t want to learn another application).

I have learned quite a lot about Final Cut using YouTube

superspike113

Honorary Old

^^ YouTube.  Almost anything that you can think of is on there. How long is the Adobe Premiere subscription before it becomes obligatory?  I picked up Final Cut because I didn’t need another monthly payment (and didn’t want to learn another application).

I have learned quite a lot about Final Cut using YouTube

I can do a free 30 day trial with my lightroom/PS CC subscription. Then its a monthly fee i can remove at any time.

Mta- i use YouTube all the time for editing techniques

RunJasonRun

I tinkered with the highlights on my iPhone tonight after taking the below photo.  The first one is with the highlights, the second one (which I prefer, and which I ultimately posted) is after I dropped the highlights.

superspike113

Honorary Old

I agree, looks good.  I usually drop highlights and increase contrast in my photos.

Ultra Cowboy

lol, I could not resist downloading rocky's pic and applying a couple of Graduated ND filters.  Not that the original is bad, I was going for a stormy look

Jason's pics look great

Let's see 'em!  I didn't do anything with it, and it is linked on FB.  One issue with the IPhone pics is the small aperture.  Plus I was Breathing hard. 

WYBMADIITY

Save

RunJasonRun

Here's one that I took early today at work.  I dropped the highlights for this one as well, and used the Vivid filter on my iPhone.

(I was standing on top of a closed landfill when I took this photo, and the grass has grown over the final dirt cover of the old landfill trash.  When a landfill reaches maximum capacity, it closes, and must be inspected for 30 years after closure while also submitting quarterly methane monitoring and twice-a-year groundwater monitoring.  This particular landfill closed back in 1996.  I walked the slopes and checked for any leaking liquid, and I checked the groundwater/methane wells to make sure they were in good condition. Considering this spot used to be a landfill, it's quite scenic.)

n a m

1stBrn ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Unicrn

Agree.  The bottom is edited.  I took it last year when we had our "big" snowstorm at the top of Greenhow Hill just outside of Pateley Bridge in the Nidderdale AONB.