Letters & Opinions

Dog Problem (Read 37 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Lots of dog people here, and I almost put this in the grinding thread, but it might be a good place for others to get input on their dog problems, I dunno.  Anyway...

Our male dog, 5, is a bundle of energy.  Biggest parenting mistake we've made is getting him when B was 2, but he's finally growing on B, he no longer knocks B down on the regular, and he's pretty much family now.

The problem that brings me here is, he loves "people food" - not that unusual, but he's obsessed with getting it, no matter the obstacles or consequences.  We scold him and banish him outside when we catch him doing it, but more and more often, we'll be preparing food and leave the room for a moment, only to find something has vanished off the counter.  Or, we'll come home after school and find that the loaf of bread is gone, and find the empty, chewed bag outside (we don't crate him since we're often gone 11-12 hours).  We've been dealing with this by making sure to put food out of his reach if it's food that stays on the counter (like we do our bread), but this morning he was able to get B's breakfast sandwich, which I had thawed and placed against the back of the stove until he was ready for it.  I guess he's gotten big enough or strong enough to jump and snatch it, so now no place is safe except the cabinets, the top of the fridge, etc..

So, we need to start some kind of behavioral training to stop this, but how, when it so often happens when we're nowhere around, or enough time has passed that (I think) the scolding and banishment won't connect back to the bad behavior?

MTA: Oh, if it matters, he's a rescue, we suspect some kind of Jack Russell/Other terrier mix.  His face looks a little pit bull-ey to me.  Weighs about 45 pounds.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

katarama

Tribal Elder

Can you use a baby gate or some other barrier to keep him out of the kitchen/dining room? I'd start there, then try to work with him on a "stay" command so he'll eventually stay out without the physical barrier. Or just leave the gate up. But if he's any kind of Jack Russell, he's probably good jumper. 

"Keep doing things." - Jim Martin, 93 year-old paratrooper and badass.

DeathRunnr

That Death Thingy

Is he afraid of vacuum cleaners? If so, maybe leaving one near the kitchen will keep him away 

Baboon

delicate flower

I would recommend hiring a dog trainer. It'll cost some money but they have helped us with our dog big time.  I also think an e-collar would help.

I "accidentally" broke my current dog of this soon after we got her when I caught her counter-surfing and I may have overreacted a bit with the yelling.  But, it made her piss herself and she has not done it since, so it worked I guess.  Our dog doesn't ask for table food because she has never gotten any so she doesn't think of it as an option. 

<3

Village people

Is he afraid of vacuum cleaners? If so, maybe leaving one near the kitchen will keep him away 

That would work with one of mine, lol.

A trainer might be a good idea. I keep food out of reach but mostly my dogs are gated in a (pretty big) living space.

DavePNW

We would have the same problem with our dog, but he's a 10 lb toy poodle so anything on the counter or even kitchen table is safe.

Now if we could get him to stop pooping in the house, that'd be great.

Dave

hog4life

We kennel our two dogs for 10-12 hours no problem. We don’t do this on a regular basis but if we have to go to the doctor thats 1.5 hours away, it turns into a long day. Maybe try that?

DeathRunnr

That Death Thingy

These posts make me extra grateful that Woodszi is an elderly dog that never begs for food and is too fat and old to jump very high.

Prince of Fatness

This thread could be renamed to “Why MrFinn doesn’t own a dog”.

Not at it at all. 

ap4

Probably easier to train the humans than the dog at this point....

If you can't be trained to not to leave it out, why would you expect him to be able to be trained to leave it alone?

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Baby gate - LOL yeah, he'll jump right over that.

He is indeed afraid of the vacuum, but not when it isn't running.

E-collar...maybe, but here again, if we're not around when he does it...I guess we could put some bacon on the counter, hide out of sight, then zap him when he goes for it.  Sounds gratifying, but kind of mean.  Also, he makes it his business to know where we are AT. ALL. TIMES.

Kenneling...I dunno, hog...he's extremely energetic, that also seems mean.  Do you do that every work day?  I say it seems mean...from what we can tell, we think all he does when we're away is lay glumly on the floor, with occasional trips to the kitchen for a snack or outside to poop.  Every time we've asked the neighbor to come in and check in on him if we go somewhere overnight, she says that's all he's doing.  She rarely sees him outside.

Finn - yeah.  Boy if we had it to do over again...later and smaller.  If at all.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

katarama

Tribal Elder

I second the idea of a trainer, but that takes time. Maybe not much, because if he's a Jack, he's smart, and he's clearly food motivated.

In the interim, would crating him during meal prep/eating time be practical for you? Or is there another area of the house where you can confine him at meal times? We have a stupid open concept house, so I know what a challenge that can be. I'm a huge fan of doors and walls.

"Keep doing things." - Jim Martin, 93 year-old paratrooper and badass.

alywheel

I assume food is mostly put away when it’s not meal/snack time and you’re at work… So then it would be easier to train him to respect a gate during those times, since you’d be close by. Gate up during breakfast. Correct him/reward him for cooperating while the gate is up. Then gate comes down when the food is put away. 

My 50 lb doodle has only counter swiped once. A little pizza thief. He must have felt guilty because he never did it again. He does beg for food thought.

HobbitLegs

elevenses

A trainer is great suggestion. If that's not feasible, I'd secure any food he can get to while you are gone and then crate him or put him in another area while you all are preparing food or eating. If you do want to work with him while you're preparing meals or eating, the "Leave it" command can be really useful.

We have an 11 month old dog that's a terrier mix and he's SUPER smart and very energetic and curious. We've trained him with "leave it" which has been really helpful when we catch him getting into something he shouldn't. We trained him by putting a treat on the floor then saying "LEAVE IT" when he went after it. When leaves it and sits, he gets a treat. Now if we say "Leave it" he'll automatically stop what he's doing and sit.

Jack Russells are super smart and energetic so something to help keep him occupied might help too. You can get dog enrichment toys that might keep him from getting bored.

DavePNW

This thread could be renamed to “Why MrFinn doesn’t own a dog”.

If it's like my household, the main reason for that would actually be that MrsFinn doesn't want one.

Dave