Low HR Training

UltraSteve's Hardrock 100 (Read 29 times)

Wasatch Speedgoat

Oh, Jimmy....it was so hard! As I mentioned in the post, it's my last one, not just my last Hardrock, but my last 100. My wife says wait and see on that ;-) But at almost 62, it's time to back off on these really long events. Smile

Life is short, play hard!
    jimmyb

Oh, Jimmy....it was so hard! 

For 100 miles? That's some virility, dude.  Evil

Excuse the out of context, couldn't help it, Steve. 100 miles at age 62 is quite amazing. It's amazing for 32. I guess it's time for you give yourself a break and just do 50 milers--LOL., But maybe you'll be like Sean Connery and come back and play Bond one more time. There's even going to be an Indiana Jones 5. My only sad thought is there will be no more 100 mile reports on your blog.

Log

Wasatch Speedgoat

My present goal is a BQ for 2015, so have to rebuild myself as a marathoner, rather than the long, slow runner I've become. I have 13 Bostons in my other running life and would like to make it 25 before I hang up my running shoes Wink

I can live my ultrarunning life through Deb, as I will become her dedicated crew person and sometimes pacer.

Age is nothing, especially when being a Maffetone disciple....it keeps you young!

jimmyb

I'm sure you'll accomplish it, Steve.

Does that mean you'll be training more on roads or paved trails?

Log

Wasatch Speedgoat

Jimmy, I already do this during the work week. All my running is on a flat, paved bike path in ABQ. On the weekends, I'll run with Deb on mostly trails and dirt roads, which is good for the legs...but as I get closer to the marathon in Feb., I'll be adding some longer runs on the paved roads up near the house (because the road is around 9000') ;-)

jimmyb

3:55 is the time you need to beat for the BQ. Easy reach? Or do you need a lot of work?

Log

Wasatch Speedgoat

I'm pretty sure I can run that now, but i want BQ-20, so 3:35...not sure I can get that or not.  My age graded time for a 3:35 is 2:51. When I was younger I ran several sub 2:50's....so maybe! If not, I'll take what I can get, but I think you won't get in with a BQ time in the future, you'll need to be -10 to -20.

jimmyb

I like that Boston is making qualifying tougher in response to the demand, rather than increasing field-sizes too much. Have you noticed a difference in your sea-level running after training at such a high altitude for so long?

Log

Wasatch Speedgoat

Funny thing is I have not yet run at sea level or anywhere close to it. I sleep at 8200' and during the week train at 5300'. The marathon I'm considering, which is Cowtown in TX, is at around sea level, so should help me reach my goal.

I like that Boston is doing this also...back when I first started running Boston, the qualifier was 2:50. In 1983 I ran a 2:49 there and they had the most sub 2:20 marathoners ever. I think this was due to Boston pushing people to run the times they ran. If you push the qualifying time down, people will find a way to reach it. It doesn't take much more work to go from 3 hours to 2:50...and I think most runners are quite capable of reaching those times with the proper training.

jimmyb

I imagine your first run at sea level will be an oxygen high. How is your training going to be different?

Log

Wasatch Speedgoat

Difference in training for this vs Hardrock will be less hiking/walking and more race pace tempo runs(once a week). All other days will be at MAF, with some short strides thrown in most days. Maffetone says it's OK to run 5-7 sec's all out with 2 minutes rest and repeat for 30 minutes, of course with a 15 min warm up and cooldown.

jimmyb

Keep us posted on your progress, Steve. I wish you a healthy journey to the Boston 2015.

Thanks for going along with the spontaneous interview!Cool

Log

Wasatch Speedgoat

You're welcome, Jimmy...it's going to be a fun journey! Smile

Read this over the weekend.  Congrats on another Hardrock finish.  Looks beautiful.  Good luck with your BQ goals.

John