Low HR Training

Measure heart rate whilst swimming (Read 475 times)

bradhector

Hi guys,

i'm new to the forum, i was recommended here whilst reading Phil Maffetone's bible for endurance training.

My question was in regards to low heart rate training whilst swimming. I do my running and cycling training using a Suunto heart rate monitor, but obviously i can't use this to measure my heart rate whilst swimming. Does anyone have any tricks for a simple effective way to keep track of my heart rate zones whilst doing my Aerobic swimming training, without going over my Maximum Aerobic Function, or dropping my heart rate too low, or do you just have to get used to the feeling of exertion at these heart rates whilst swimming?

Thanks

Brad

Hi guys,

i'm new to the forum, i was recommended here whilst reading Phil Maffetone's bible for endurance training.

My question was in regards to low heart rate training whilst swimming. I do my running and cycling training using a Suunto heart rate monitor, but obviously i can't use this to measure my heart rate whilst swimming. Does anyone have any tricks for a simple effective way to keep track of my heart rate zones whilst doing my Aerobic swimming training, without going over my Maximum Aerobic Function, or dropping my heart rate too low, or do you just have to get used to the feeling of exertion at these heart rates whilst swimming?

Thanks

Brad

why can't you use it for swimming? not water proof enough, or does it use 2.4ghz frequency (which will not work under water)?

many HRM's can be used for swimming. they need to use 5khz frequency and have to be fully waterproof.

bradhector

it doesn't transmit through water. It is waterproof, i just can't pickup the signal. I thought this was the case with all heart rate monitors, didn't realise some do and some don't.

Does anyone have experience with the Suunto M1 whilst swimming? The Suunto website appears to say it also won't work, but a rep at the store says it will work with its analogue signal(??).

There are a couple Polar models that will tranmitter and recieve a signal through the water. Garmin's do not. I have no idea about the Sunnto. Second problem you may have once you find one that works in the water is keeping the HR monitor inplace while swimming. I tried to use my Garmin and just have it record my HR in between sets at the wall, but I couldn't get it to stay inplace when I swam no matter how tight I made it.

For swimming, I just use the old "finger on the neck" (count the beats for six seconds and multiply by 10) technigue after I'm done with a set. Your Max HR during swimming will be around 20 beats lower then when running due to the lack of gravity and the pounding of running. I find that I'm at or below my MAF HR for every swim set except the hard of sprint sets.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life