Low HR Training

How bad to run a race during base building? (Read 483 times)

Okay, I had decided to spend the next 3 months strictly base building, probaly at MAF.

Yesterday was my last race before I started focusing 100% on base building.

The race was tough, but it's always fun to get a medal (thank goodness our club has a clydesdale division) and hang out with other runners.

Our local running club has races each month and if you are a member they are only $5 so it's hard to resist running in them.

Next month is a 10K and I've never raced that distance before and the month after that is a 10 miler and I've never raced that distance before.

If I did base building on every run other than those 2 races how bad would it set me back?  I'm not really worried about getting a good time on either race, I would just like to run them at a good effort instead of using them as strictly training runs at MAF. 

It may turn out that I miss one or the other, but right now it's looking like I'll be in town for both.

If it would really set back my base building I can skip them, but if it is just a matter of not being able to get a great time on them because I haven't practiced any speedwork the month before then that's okay with me.  June and July races in Texas are going to be tough, even at 8 in the morning so my time isn't going to be spectacular anyway.

I'm not focusing on any big race coming up in the fall or anything, my base building will more than likely be an ongoing process for the next year or so, but I would really like to mix in some local races here and there while I'm at it.

Any thoughts?  Thanks, Nathan

Current PR's:  Mara 3:48:09; HM 1:43:26; 10K 43:59; 5K 21:27

I know it is going to set me back, but I'm trying to figure out how bad it would.

If it completely makes the a month of MAF runs worthless by running a 10K race during them then I'll skip it.  I know I probably should, but am hoping to have my cake and eat it too. 

If it just sets me back a week after each race and I have to do base building for 4 months instead of 3 months then I'll run them, I don't have any big races coming up that I'm focusing on or anything.

jimmyb

If you're racing every month, you're still in a race season. Doesn't mean it will set you back, though it might slow progress, or even back you up. It all depends on what kind of shape you are in to begin with. Dr. Phil recommends that you not race during base building. I do believe Lydiard  recommends the same. Both believe it is contradictory to the creation of the best possible aerobic engine during that time. It is this aerobic engine that gives you great endurance (holding faster speeds for longer and longer). 

it all comes back to you, what you are trying do, your commitment, and what kind of world you are trying to create by trying this method. I know runners who race all the time--almost every week throughout the year. I'm not sure if they are maximizing their potential, or if they even care--but I do know they are living it the way they want to. I do this method and train this way because I really want to. Whatever you choose to do, keep doing MAF tests and let them guide you.

--JimmyCool

Log    PRs

Well it's still a little too early to tell for sure, but it's not looking like running a race last Saturday affected my base building much.

Just ran my 6 mile MAF route at my fastest pace ever on a relatively warm and humid morning.  The only real wildcard is that I just spent 2 1/2 days at 7,000' elevation and my run this morning was at 3,000' elevation so there is probably a little positive affect from that.