Low HR Training

I think this is actually working (Read 769 times)

When I was younger I was a competitive runner that did a lot of intervals and always ran mileage too fast. Well at least I think I ran it too fast, it was a long time ago. Constantly tired, sore legs, minor injuries. I thought that was just the price you paid to run fast.

Took 25 years off from serious running but always stayed in shape. I am now a lot more serious than I have been in years. I did my first 10 km not too long ago (40:48) and I am now targeting a 30km race at the end of March.

I run within a couple of beats of my MAF heartrate (133) almost all the time. I am currently trying to make more than 50 miles a week and have hit a rolling weekly total of over 60 miles for the first time ever. I feel remarkably good. Not tired at all and only occasional minor aches but nothing that lasts more than a day or two. 

I do not do Maf tests, which is probably a mistake but I am showing decent progress. For example, I ran my first 13 mile training run on 8-28-2011. My heart rate was 134 and my pace was 4:54/km. I was pretty tired afterwards. On 12-14-2011 I ran 11.8 miles at 6 in the morning before work, my heart rate was 131 and my pace was 4:44/km. Finished the run and worked all day, no problems.

Just wanted to tell eveyone how excited I am to be running farther, faster and more pain free than I thought possible.

Kevin

Glad to hear it is working.  We recent converts need the inspiration!

Chris

Shondek

Great news Kevin, put all that gained fitness in the bank spend it at the racesSmile

I think that the mental energy saved training will make the racing a lot more bearable. I like to think I am at least a little bit stoic but regular hard training sessions can wear you down. Now I finish every run wanting more and I will have lots of energy to spend at a race.

Shondek

I think that the mental energy saved training will make the racing a lot more bearable. I like to think I am at least a little bit stoic but regular hard training sessions can wear you down. Now I finish every run wanting more and I will have lots of energy to spend at a race.

Are you saying you feel young again Kevin ?Smile

Other than the tennis elbow from badminton, the fungal infection under one toe, mild achilles tendinontis ( cleared up actually), having to wear a hat in the cold to keep my ears warm now, wearing reading glasses to type, and a sore spot on the top of my foot from tying my shoe too tight I do feel young again. I am 6 foot 1, I have  dropped from 162 to 153 and I eat more than my teenage son.

MaffetoneRunner

The low heart rate training has renewed my love of running.  I go out to run for hours, come home, and feel I can go out and run hours more.  It was hard at first.  Its kept me from running with my running groups and keeping the heart rate low was difficult because of my ego. PACE is where its at. Everyone asks what you're running.... Its like opening the hood of a car to see whats under it.  How fast can you go. I still haven't gotten my pace up to the groups speed but I don't mind too much. Its just so much fun again.  Smile

jimmyb

The low heart rate training has renewed my love of running.  I go out to run for hours, come home, and feel I can go out and run hours more.  It was hard at first.  Its kept me from running with my running groups and keeping the heart rate low was difficult because of my ego. PACE is where its at. Everyone asks what you're running.... Its like opening the hood of a car to see whats under it.  How fast can you go. I still haven't gotten my pace up to the groups speed but I don't mind too much. Its just so much fun again.  Smile

SO glad to here it's going well for you, MR. The love of running returning is part of the healing and progress that may experience with this method.

Keep going!

--Jimmy Cool

Log