Marine Corps Marathon

Weeklies - Week 4 (Read 2 times)

URD for me, t-i-red after all the weekend fun plus car shopping on Sunday.  Maybe it was just the car shopping : )

Yasso 800s with the training group tomorrow night - wish me luck!

Have y'all heard anything about a ban on hydration packs at MCM?  I've seen posts about it from fb friends but can't find it on the website myself.  I'm planning on using a belt with bottles but DH has liked the camelback lately.

Hope y'all are hanging in there (even if just by a thread : )

2014 - heal the sinuses and move to Germany!

2015 - Paris Marathon 12 April

Found it!  Scroll to the bottom of this page http://www.marinemarathon.com/MCM_Runner_Info/Course_details.htm

I am terrible at drinking from paper cups in a race, I get half the water and cough for a while.  Still planning to wear my belt and allow extra time for security.

(blah, blah, packet pick up, wear your race bib...)

• Runners are required to use the clear plastic drawstring bag issued at Packet Pick-up for the event-day bag check. Backpacks, suitcases or any other type of bag will not be accepted at UPS Drop-off. Using the clear plastic event-issued participant bag will expedite the screening process and help maintain an efficient flow of participants into the Runners Village.
      • Runners are advised against bringing their own water bottles and encouraged to utilize the replenishments offered by the MCM as they run the course. Camelbacks are prohibited on the MCM course.
      • As the MCM is just before Halloween, costumes are welcome but masks are prohibited.

Status updates, weather and news alerts will be disseminated during MCM Weekend on the event website, Facebook page and the MCM App.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, ladies!  Did 18 miles with 16 @ MP +20 seconds and ended up doing the 16 at 10:15mm.  I finally feel confident about the 10mm.

I've had a busy week.  Taper started and shutdown of the government too.  Lots of work to shut down the office.  Will have to go back there tomorrow whether they close or not to do some things, go home or work.

6 miles tonight, 5 with hubby at 14:28mm and 1 at my usual pace.  Taper has started!

Damaris

Four Weeks ???? (actually less than now) Wow, hope I'm ready.

Patty, what kind of car are you thinking of getting? I always keep my car for a really long time, so I don't get to shop for them very often. Although this year we got a car for both my son and daughter. My daughter got the VW New Beetle (2010). It had 11,000 miles on it. The salesman said a Little old lady drove it to church and the grocery store. Now the car has 11,100 miles on it, cause there is a little young lady only driving it to school. The car will be 10 years old and only have 12,000 miles on it Smile But I have to say, I love that car. Not only is it super cute and fun looking, but my daughter looks so cute in it too. And I just have to wave from the front door while still wearing my PJs each morning, instead of having to drive her to school.

We got my son a Silverado truck. What a fantastic buy we got on that too. We drove it down to him at Fort Hood and he is loving having it. I was so proud of him going into the army that I wanted to give him something special. What I really like is that I put money away in a mutual fund in my 20s and that small amount grew to enough to buy cars for my kids. I've always said the eighth wonder of the world is compound interest.

Anyway, Damaris, I'm sorry you are caught in the shutdown, especially since you can't run more given you have the time. Last week when my foot hurt and I didn't run, my house got a cleaning like it hasn't seen in a decade. Hopefully you can find something to do, and the shutdown won't last long.

10 miles today with 3 x 2 mile intervals. I've signed up for a 10k on Saturday. I haven't really raced all year, so I have no idea if my MCM goal is even doable. So now I have to figure out how to schedule my runs this week so I'll be ready to race the 10k to the best of my abilities. I am a bit afraid though, that I won't get the time I want, and my MCM goal is toast. I'm thinking 6 easy mile both Wednesday and Thursday with Friday off.

Woo hoo!  10 Yasso 800s tonight, right on the magical pace.  At the very least, this is a confidence builder.  It felt hard-ish but not killer, having a coach to pace us made this so much easier.

Kim,  nice workout!

We tend to keep cars for a while too.  And I research & overanalyze purchases.  Two years ago we traded in my oil-consuming Subaru outback for a Toyota Highlander and this weekend we were back at Toyota to trade in his Chevy Avalanche for a Toyota Tacoma with an access cab. We were both a bit emotionally attached to the cars so the process of making a decision took a while.  My car wasn't going to pass the emissions inspection in MD so it's time was limited.  The actual purchase takes sooo long, though.  I should have packed a snack.  So far so good : )  Way to go on having money set aside, interest rocks (or at least it used to).

Damaris,  bad timing on the shutdown : (  I hope it doesn't last long.  How do you handle tapering?  Does it make you nuts or are you used to it/enjoy the calm before the race?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, ladies.  I ended up taking an SRD yesterday so the HMP segments will be done tonight if it ever stops storming.

And all I did today was getting rid of a migraine and spend tons of money at Lululemon.  Oops.

Damaris

And all I did today was ... spend tons of money at Lululemon.  Oops.

LOL Big grin

Nice Yassos Patty. So cool that they were at the prescribed pace. You both seem to have your timing down !

6 easy miles today. I've been working on getting my ipod playlists ready. I recently switched computers and didn't seem able to bring my playlists over, so I'm re-building them. And adding some other new music.  Now I just need to decided if I should buy a new Garmin. Mine only seems to be keeping a charge for 4ish hours. It might make the 5 I need it too, plus I have a back up simple watch. I just won't need one that goes for more than 4 hours after this marathon, so I hate to buy it just for MCM, yet, I'm already putting so much money into this, it seems silly to scrimp in the watch. Arg!  I would probably just get one if I didn't want a tablet right now too. At least I've never gone on Lululemon's website Wink.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Lucky you.  I went to the store today.  Worse!

Only made it 4.50 miles and then the lightning started, so I stopped.  Now the lightning stopped but I've been waiting for 30 minutes so fuck it.

Damaris

Oooohhhhh.... I got my bib number today! I'm so excited.

And in other news, I ordered a new garmin and a tablet on amazon. (as Damaris would say, "oops")

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yeah, oops.  Accident!

Damaris

Missed running this morning but I did actually do my hip exercises (I've slacked on those lately and can tell).  Better run after the volunteering tonight.

Aha, retail therapy eases the taper?  I'm willing to give that a try : )  The Garmin is essential & I'm pretty sure there's a good argument for cute running clothes contributing to meeting your goals : )

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, girls!

4 miles today. They were sluggish!  But we are (FINALLY) booked!

Damaris

Ha! Retail therapy, I like that.

Damaris, does "booked" mean you have booked your hotel and plane? If so, woo hoo.

10k race today for me. I really wanted to break an hour. Last year, I got 57:30 and was so excited, until I saw my Garmin said 6 miles, not 6.2. Arg, especially since I still could have gotten under 60 minutes cause I had 2:30 to do that last .2.

So now I try to get certified courses. Today was 1:00:27. I was on pace miles 1 - 3, but 4 & 5 I lost a bit of time. I didn't bother looking at the watch cause I knew I was giving all I had at that point. Finished fairly strong, but just not enough. But I gave it all I had, and my old PR (not counting the one listed above) was 1:01:56. So I am happy with it. Although, I was fourth in my AG and missed the "awards" which were cow bells, pretty cool. Maybe next year. It was a really well run race.

So, now I'm still wondering about my MCM pace. That 10k time correlates to a 4:45 marathon (in Hanson's book). And I would still like to shoot for 4:59, but I'm afraid I'm really not in shape for that. Of all my training, it is the Long Run that has been the hardest.  I'm supposed to do 16 tomorrow, so I will see how that goes.

Tomorrow is only 3 more weeks. Yikes!

Oh, one more positive thing. NO Aches or pains, during or after this race. My no-whining mantra seems to beworking.

Nice job on the 10k, Kim!  Especially the no aches & pains part : )

After two yucky long runs in a row, this Saturday's 22 miles was much better.  It was certainly hard and I was pretty tired the rest of the day, but I did it and kept up with Memory and Bill who were setting a very solid pace.  I'm not sure I can do another 4.2 miles of that (actually, that plus a bit faster) but I guess we'll see.  My "A" goal is 4:30, my B goal is anything under 5 and my C goal is to finish : )

Now I'm looking into restaurant reservations for Saturday night, I'd hate to end up eating at 9 or 10 pm : )