Mobile Maze Battleship

Welcome!. (Announcements-only thread) (Read 296 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Welcome, everyone! I've really enjoyed the two other times I've hosted MMB, so I wanted to set something up in a more public space for more people to enjoy. Our first game will begin March 1, 2009. Turns will be three times a week: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I'm on the eastern coast of the US, so for our friends overseas, I'll have to let you figure out the timing on this one. (Just know that I'll be updating the maps sometime on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and over the weekend.) Doing turns every day got to be too much for me, and doing turns once a week let some people forget they were playing. Hopefully this will be a happy compromise! The rules seem kind of complicated if you're not familiar with some basic concepts, so I'll try to explain them below...

Roads were made for journeys...

Wingz

Professional Noob

MMB is turn-based: We'll be doing three turns per week. I will update the board on Tuesday, Thursday, and either Sat. or Sun. each week until the game's over. You don't HAVE to take a turn each time, but if people notice you're not moving they'll likely target you and you'll be eliminated pretty quickly. There is a "Maze": A regular spreadsheet from Googledocs is altered, with each cell of the spreadsheet being one square of the gameboard. Thick lines on the spreadsheet are walls that your piece cannot move through. Shaded out areas cannot be moved through or into. You move your piece once each turn by indicating the direction and distance you would like to move. You can move up ("North"), down ("South"), left ("West"), or right ("East") a limited number of spaces. In the past, the move distance has been 0 to 3 squares per turn. Here is an example "Maze" of a recent game:

Wingz

Professional Noob

See how there are player names in the picture above? You may notice that some of them are green, some are yellow and have an X (or two) after the names, and there is one red square with an X in it. Green: the person got through the turn without being hit by "enemy missiles." Yellow: the player was hit. Red: a missile was fired into this square, but it splashed harmlessly into the ocean, perhaps disturbing a few fish, but doing no damage. During your turn (Anytime on Mon, Wed, or Fri), you will have the opportunity to move your piece and to fire shot(s) at your fellow players. Everyone playing will be taking a turn (unless they forget), so there will be a lot of activity going on that you can't see until the board is updated. When I update the board, you will be able to see where everyone moved, who got hit, and who narrowly avoided disaster. In the above example, a player shot a missle into square E:12 (the red one). If higa had moved north two squares, they would have not been hit by any missles. If they had moved north one square, they would have been hit. If they stayed still, they would have been (were!) hit by two missiles. If they had moved south, they would not have been hit. I hope that makes sense.... In the turn described, higa could not have moved east or west because there was a wall on either side.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Survey is up! To vote on the rules for game # 1, please visit this web page. The survey is now closed. Thanks for your input.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Wingz

Professional Noob

Next game starts Monday, April 20th...

Wingz

Professional Noob

Game # 3 starts today and is hosted by jeffdonahue!  Big grin

Thanks, Jeff.