Marathon Training and Discussions

Hill workouts (Read 451 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

One of my weaknesses in marathons has been leg strength--legs, particularly hip flexors--getting tired toward the end. I think that hillwork would help with this. Does anyone have good hill workouts that have helped you develop leg strength and endurance?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Hawt and sexy

Because of where I live, if I run outside, I run hills. I really don't consider it a special part of training. Just get a few routes going that include hills for everyday/easy runs first. After you adjust to that, then we can talk hill workouts. When it comes to leg strength, lunges (i can't spell and that does not look right) will help a bit. Did you injure your hip flexors at one point? Did you ever try looking up PT excersizes for hip flexors since you know it is a problem for you? Hills will not be good if the problem is just a weak point in the body. And if all you ever ran was not far from the 30 mpw that you are running now, it might be best just to run more if you plan on running marathons. That alone could take care of a good part of the problem.

I'm touching your pants.

Prince of Fatness

Some info on hill / strength training in here and here.

Not at it at all.