Maine Runnah Group

Safe passage 5K in cumberland this saturday (Read 233 times)

Does anyone know the route for this run? Its in cumberland and is associated with greely, so I'm assuming the main street pathway will be part of it. Anyone ever do it before or know the route? I'm thinking of making this my first 5K, if its flat.
    2011 Goal: Run at least twice per week for the entire year
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

It was my VERY FIRST RACE ever, last year. It starts at the high school, goes north on route 9 a little ways, cuts through a neighborhood over to the Val Halla road, back to Greely Road, up that ONE hill up to Route 9, south on Route 9 to Tuttle, east on Tuttle to the driveway for Mabel I Wilson, up the driveway to the track, and then one time around to the finish line. It seemed very flat except for that one hill. It was a good first 5k for me! I had to walk up the hill since I was so new - I'd never run 3 miles straight before. My time was 41:20 or something, lol. I'm hoping to break 30 this year, except my 9.6 mile run today (PR for me) may wipe me out! I think you should do it! It's a great community event. I think my son, Logan Price, will be running it, probably under 17 minutes. Little stinker. I will be the beaming mother!

I'll be there, but I'm not running. No idea what they are going to have me doing yet. I haven't run it before.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

It turns out my son won't be running, because his coach said he's done enough already this week. My 10-year-old daughter will be running, though. She's tiny, has long dark blonde hair, and wears glasses. Her previous two 5k times were 27:20 and 28:40. She'll beat me by a lot!

Teresa, They are still looking for volunteers for the race if your son is interested in still going even though he won't be running. Volunteering at races is almost as rewarding as running in them, and there can never be too many.

Run to Win

well I signed up for it... my first 5K! maybe I'll see you guys there tomorrow morning. I'm not too worried about speed, I will be mostly just jogging, but just finishing it without stopping to walk would be a pretty nice accomplishment for me.
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Remember to go out SLOWLY!! It's so easy to get caught up in the excitement and run too fast. Good luck!!
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

It was good to see you at the end of the race, Blaine! My official time was 31:04. I didn't go as fast as I wanted, but then again, I didn't change my HM training plan for the week, so I wasn't really geared up for my best time. Tim, how did the race go for you? Did you enjoy it? I heard several people yelling, "Go, Teresa!" but I wasn't sure who they were! It's cool to run in a local race where people know you. My 10-year-old duaghter finished in 27:18 officially, a PR for her. She was 5th among girls 15 and under, but I don't know how many were in the division. We ate breakfast at Stone's afterwards. She wore her bib so that people would know she ran. She kept saying, "I'm so happy!" She surprised the waitress by eating an adult portion of french toast. I may run a few more miles this afternoon to make my weekly total greater than 30 miles. I figure if I'm not fast, I can at least distinguish myself by running a lot!

It was good to see you at the end of the race, Blaine! [...] I may run a few more miles this afternoon to make my weekly total greater than 30 miles. I figure if I'm not fast, I can at least distinguish myself by running a lot!
                    Yeah, sorry I didn't have more time to chat, but you came in at about the busiest time for getting chips from people. Your daughter did great, she deserved an adult portion of french toast! Careful with the extra miles. Doing afternoon miles the day of a race can be great in terms of making sure that you aren't as sore the next day, but you are going to be fatigued so be sure to go slow and not to push the pace at all.

Run to Win

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for the advice, Blaine - I will go very slowly. I will keep it short, too.
                        hey teresa, yeah it went great for me. I finished in 33:07, a 10:40 pace, but really my goal was to just finish without stopping to walk, which I did! I would do that race again anytime. Man were those orange slices good at the finish line haha.
                        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations - you ran it 8 minutes faster than I did last year! You're off to a great start. Are you going to do the Sea Dogs Race on Mother's Day? It's a lot of fun!
                            Just out of curiosity, what does the division numbers mean on the final results? there is a column that says "Div/Tot". For example, Ethan Hemphill's numbers said "1/37". The 2nd place guy had 1/40 and the 3rd place guy had 2/40. What do these mean? Also, I find it amazing how many guys in the top 50 are in their 40s or 50s. And when you look at their pictures, they look like they could be in their late 20s. I guess I better keep this running thing going!
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ethan was first among the 37 guys in his age division. Mine said 30/57, which meant I was 30th out of women ages 40-49. DD 10 was 5/24 - 5th place among girls 15 and under. Cool DH was surprised at how fast guys his age (54) are! It made him want to try a little harder.

It's not like this everywhere, don't worry. Maine just happens to be a haven for masters runners. It's relatively expensive to live up here, which means that folks my age are working their asses off to make ends meet (and taking off for warmer climates) so there isn't a ton of young talent that sticks around for long. Conversely, the guys that have done pretty well in their careers have the time to train, and there happens to be a ton of really good home grown talent from this state so they have made their way back here post-college or post-career. Add that to a pretty competitive area with PR Racing (Triad now), Dirigo, BAA, Crow Athletics, Whirlaway and a dozen other teams, and its a good atmosphere.

Run to Win