Maine Runnah Group

Jeff Galloway Clinic (Read 380 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Just wanted to pass along that Jeff Galloway will be at the Maine Running Company on September 11 from 6 to 8 pm. John was thinking about charging for it, but he decided to make it free. I'm planning on attending, because I may have to walk some of my HM since my training got interrupted during my injury recovery.

Actually, John fought tooth and nail to get it free for our fall training group as he didn't think they should have to pay, and Jeff made the entire thing free after he realized that the majority of the people in attendance weren't going to pay anyway and it would look a lot better. He normally charges between $100-$200 for these things (per person) so it's pretty cool. I'm planning on putting a note up tomorrow afternoon about the clinic on my website.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for the clarification, Blaine! I sure couldn't afford $100 right now.

Okay, I had it wrong. John just paid Jeff extra money to keep it free.

Run to Win

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, that's pretty neat. I took Logan there last night to get shoes, and John is starting to get concerned that he's going to get mobbed with people! They didn't have Logan's size in the Asics 2130s, so he's going to try some Mizunos. Must be nice to be young and flexible - he doesn't really care what shoes he wears. He wasn't even going to lace them up or run down the block with them, but Ellie said he should! He's got a meet at Cape Elizabeth today, where there will be a lot of good runners. Should be a good race!

I like the Asics 2100 series - I started in those back in the 2040s and used them up through 2100. My access to cheap Nikes and free Mizunos is the only reason I stopped wearing them, although from all accounts they started going downhill in quality starting with the 2110. Which Mizunos did he get? I'm wearing the Wave Precisions these days and I like them. He might want to look into the new Asics DS Trainers (last seasons were messed up so the new ones just coming out are going back to the lasts from the previous year) - they are a good lightweight trainer. The Nike shoes that end in Elites are pretty similar too. (Nike shoe names are too long for me to try to remember.)

Run to Win

Well that was a fun evening! I picked up some good tidbits. Did you remember to buy your magazine afterwards, Teresa?

Run to Win

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That WAS good! What he said convinced my running partner, Martha, that we need to go slower on our long runs!! Hooray. She's been stubborn about that. Tomorrow, when we check out the Maine Coast HM route, we're going to use a 1/1 run/walk ratio, since that's what he recommends for our snail-like pace. It will be hard for me to swallow my pride and walk that much, but I figure it's worth a try. Then we can decide what we want to do for the race. Yep, I got a magazine! It was cool they talked about Greely first, before mentioning any other of the top Maine teams. And they mentioned his sub 9:40 3200 m race! Thanks so much for pointing that out to me. I would never have known about it otherwise. I guess I should get some sleep since I'll be run/walking 13.1 miles in the morning. Shocked
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

We used the 1 minute / 1 minute ratio on the HM course yesterday and were very happy we did! The course is supposedly 30% less hilly than last year. All I can say is that I feel sorry for runners like me who tried that! Yikes, it's still very hilly. Galloway was a godsend - if we had tried to run that non-stop, I think we would have bagged the race. I won't use the run/walk method most of the time, but it is nice to have as an ace in the hole. We enjoyed actually RUNNING during the running portions, instead of slogging along at our usual snail-like pace non-stop. Our pace was over 1:30 / mile faster when we were running yesterday over what it usually is. I can understand why fast runners wouldn't like this method, but for those of us who are going for endurance rather than speed, this is cool. In the meet at Lake Region yesterday, the coach and boys decided they shouldn't push too hard because there wasn't a lot of competition. Greely took the top 8 spots, plus #10 and #12. The top three each finished under 17 minutes, which the Falmouth coach said is unusual on that course. The funny thing is that those three were just goofing off - Logan was running backwards for a short time, telling James something. It's fun to watch them do well!

I've got about 75% of my notes written up, and it's a pretty long article already even without the pictures I took mixed in. I think I'm gonna try to finish writing it in the morning, but that I'll split it up throughout the week like I did the cross country clinic. Since I'm going to be at a fitness seminar at the end of the week through the weekend, that will make my workload a little lighter this week too which will be a welcome change. I still have to get my materials ready for that...ack.

Run to Win

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Where's the fitness seminar?

Where's the fitness seminar?
                          Stamford, CT. Mostly for personal trainers, but there should be a few coaches there, and there are a couple of weight lifting gurus that I want to network with, as well as one of my business coach's literary agents that's looking for new books to shop around.

Run to Win

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck with that, Blaine! Is anyone going to hear Bill Rogers at the Maine Running Company Thursday night? I have to look at my schedule.

The group that I normally coach will definitely be there. Not sure about who in the community will be there that isn't usually. I'll be putting a note up at RTW tomorrow morning or tomorrow evening with a call for somebody to write up a guest article on what he says, but I doubt anybody will. Didn't happen last year. That being said, I've met Bill quite a few times and he has a lot of great stories. Well worth listening to if you can make it.

Run to Win

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Do you know what time he will start speaking? I didn't see anything listed in the MRC e-mail.