Masters Running

Monday April 28 Master/Boomer Runs (Read 571 times)

Happy Monday everyone! Whoa, I get to follow Bruce! Yeehah! Dude is it hot here or what? I ran in PV on Saturday morning and it was 86 F deg by the time I finished 7 miles at 10:30am. There were all these exhausted looking people on the trail totally unprepared for the heat. JJJ, glad you are OK after Promise Land (I read your RR in the Other Place). Hope those bug bites heal up soon. Running 3 dusty dirty miles after work today. It's too hot for skunks lately Tongue

I Can Go The Distance

Dude is it hot here or what? I ran in PV on Saturday morning and it was 86 F deg by the time I finished 7 miles at 10:30am. There were all these exhausted looking people on the trail totally unprepared for the heat.
      Dromedary:When I went out to run at 5:30am it was already 67 and by the time I finished my 5 miles it must have been around 72. I have to make sure I drink enough water now that the hot weather is here. It is suppose to be a little cooler later in the week. I don't know if you saw my post over the weekend, but I am moving my long runs to Sunday. Doing two speed days a week, I need a little more recovery time before the long run. Try to stay cool today! I almost forgot, I am signed up at Kick now also so look for my posts. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey Bruce, with a rest day, you're really letting me get ahead of you! I ran 6 miles at lunch today on a beautiful trail in the foothills, avg pace 11:00. I needed the break from work - this is my last week, and it's kind of stressful. I've been trying to sort out insurance coverage. Continuing my current insurance through the COBRA plan will cost me over $1,000 per month for a family of 3! DH and I have been discussing whether it would be better for me to jump right into a search for a new job, or take a little time off to assess my options and enjoy the summer with my family. I can't remember the last time I had a summer off - probably 10th grade? I've certainly never had a summer off since DD was born 15 years ago. She was in daycare when she was little, and DH has watched her in the summer since she's been in school. He has a home-based woodworking business that allows him to stay home, but DD still gets bored and spends a lot of time alone. We've always taken a vacation in the summer, for 2 or 3 weeks, but this would be different. I'm just worried that it may take a while to land a new job, and so I maybe shouldn' t put off looking for one. I'm sooo thankful I have running for stress relief. I wish DH would take up running - he's pretty stressed, too!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

3.57 miles that I snuck in after a day with lots of rain. Tragedy in the nest.....Oh well. Lots going on. Some good runs going on for a variety of people. We always have someone either gearing up or gearing down from a race. Then we always have people nursing injuries that affects the quality and quantity of their runs. Everyone gets their turn.
          Vista

King of PhotoShop

DH and I have been discussing whether it would be better for me to jump right into a search for a new job, or take a little time off to assess my options and enjoy the summer with my family. I can't remember the last time I had a summer off - probably 10th grade? I've certainly never had a summer off since DD was born 15 years ago. She was in daycare when she was little, and DH has watched her in the summer since she's been in school. He has a home-based woodworking business that allows him to stay home, but DD still gets bored and spends a lot of time alone. We've always taken a vacation in the summer, for 2 or 3 weeks, but this would be different. I'm just worried that it may take a while to land a new job, and so I maybe shouldn' t put off looking for one. I'm sooo thankful I have running for stress relief. I wish DH would take up running - he's pretty stressed, too!
            May I chip in here at the risk of others' attacking me for being a bit obsessed with "time to make the doughnuts" philosophy. Yes, it is tempting, given how hard you worked, and the emotional influence in decision-making right now, to just say "let's enjoy the summer, spend some more time with the kids, do something we haven't had a chance to do..." and so on. Depending on the Myers-Briggs scores of the other responders you will get other feedback. But my experience and the experience of so many people in this situation is, "Get going on the job search as fast as you can." Believe me. First, generally speaking it takes some time to find the job you want, so why not invest some search time now to see to it that that happens, lots of networking, writing to professional colleagues, preparing your cover letters, redoing the resume and above all, making at least 5 phone calls a day. Second, there is no law that says anyone who hires you will want you to start right away. Work on finding the right job, then negotiate starting time. It's not like you are looking for work picking apples when you have to be there on a certain date. Line up the job first, then say, "I can start just after our June vacation." I know this isn't a "voting" thing regarding opinions, but I would not waste any time. I have seen too many instances where people said, "Hey, I have X months severance, I've worked hard, time to take a break..." and it all runs out sooner than you know. You can have a wonderful summer with your family and do your search very diligently, but believe me, there is not a moment to be lost, as Rochrunner would say. Spareribs
            SteveP

CNY, Your relationship with your grandmother is always a joy to read. Is any one else happy to see Tom White posting here??? Kick it on your race Gordon. Mr. Ribs, I've been doing a lot of Last Year vs. This Year kicking my self in the seat of the tights. WildChild...I knew I was going to be off for a while. Not as long as I was though. I had not looked for work in ages so I knew my skills were rusty. Ribs helped me out a lot. It may have taken longer cause I reached too high, however....if a person reaches low....I could have become self employeed, however, I'm sure my boss would have been a lunatic. 3.28 miles today. Finally a run!!!!! Sweet!!!! I've had time and gas after work. So far, the best job I've ever had. Often I get paid to drive the Bayshore Marathon route. I've thought I brusied my foot three weeks ago. It didn't get better. Last year, I told DW we could handle planting 25 new trees. SO she got 45. This year I took control and we agreed on 25 and when I went to get them, I only came home with 40.... Showed her...yup. I wear the tights in this house! While planting them, it became apparent that it was my work boots hurting the bottom of my foot. When done, I tossed the boots in the trash. It meant wearing running shoes to work. After two days it was even worse.....I looked at the bottom of my foot....There was a pretty good sized gross gunk filled puss kinda thing. I lacned it and...you get the picture. I couldn't find what caused it. I went to the Dr the next AM. She was puzzled as to why I let it hurt as long as I did. I told her I'm a distance runner. I'm used to hurting myself for an extened period of time then existing in agony the rest of the night....At that news her eyes light up and she tried giving me her phone number. She cut into my foot and pulled goodness knows what out. Then I went to work and moved cement filled doors around. Anyway, I've not missed a daily. Just lurked. Today I ran and enjoyed the spring wild flowers. Sweet!!!!

SteveP

Dave59

Busy day but I finally got to go running at 7:00pm. 5 miles in 48:27.

...thanks smp//.........appreciate the kind words...... ....as all of us found out, it's hard to post in 2 websites.... ..heck, it's hard Being Funny in ONE Website...... .I am gonna make the effort to keep an eye on you guys.....it's amazing nobody's been arrested yet (this is assuming Tet hasn't been arrested yet)

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

SteveP - ouch! Hope that clears up quick for you. Dromedary - I know that's hot for running, but it sounds lovely othewise. Cool Cool We're supposed to drop back into the 30's tomorrow night here. Took DD to the doctor today and it seems she has now developed seasonal allergies. The doctor said that the pollen count is higher now than it has ever been previously recorded here. And that is saying a lot, since the Miami Valley is known to be allergen-rich. Somehow I've thankfully managed to escape those allergies so far, but apparently you can develop them at any time in your life, so I take nothing for granted. TomWhite - I am SO happy you're going to be visiting more often. Smile Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Steve, TW, Gramps & La Tortuga.... it's a very good day. Cool Cool Steve, stick around, ok? I was preparing to harrass you via email. you wouldn't want that. very happy you like your job. take care of that foot. happy planting. (again?)

GreenMan

I walked a couple of miles with DW, bug bites are looking better. jjj
                        Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                          I'm just going to follow tomwhite around - where next?

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Carolyn, FWIW, I think Spareribs' advice is right on the mark. I DID take some time off, and then it was just harder to get motivated to find a job. My job search dragged on for awhile at that point, also. Blech. It would have been better to jump right back in. Since we're self-employed, we have to pay $1,333 a month for our family's health insurance. That's with a high deductible! Kills me to write that check every month. Then we dish out another $900 a month for professional liability insurance (structural engineers pay through the nose for it). Insurance of all kinds is definitely the item that takes up most of our budget. Good luck!! I'll keep sending good thoughts and prayers your way. I know how you feel! Teresa
                            evanflein

Tragedy in the nest.....Oh well.
                              Cry What happened?? Yeah, it's fun having TW over here, too. I'm one of those cross posters and get doses of TW on a regular basis. Nice to share the wealth. SteveP, that's gross. But you shoulda seen what I got out of my toenail the other night! Tight lipped DH proclaimed my feet as really really unattractive. Hmph. Serve me pretty well usually. I just don't look at 'em much! Well, the snow stopped, and now it's been windy with little spitty annoying rain stuff all afternoon. Must be time for soccer practice! Actually, their first game was canceled cuz the fields are in such a mucky state, so they'll do another gym workout tonight.
                                Pretty feet are overrated.
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM