Masters Running

another Boston RR BQ/PR, great day! (Read 274 times)

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

I'm splitting between RunningAhead and kickrunners, but wasn't sure how to cross post a race report. Here is a longer than planned Boston Race Report: http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27170 I got a response that its better to paste vs. cross-site post... Craig Short version: Boston in 3:06:17, almost a 3 minute PR and 13 min under my best Boston time! Long version: (sorry for length) Background/training I haven’t been online much lately, especially here, so I’ll give a quickie on my training. I picked up running in 2002, after being mostly sedentary for 10 years. A family member suggested I do a marathon, which lead to a push to qualify for Boston. It took a few attempts, but finally BQ’d. Though I’m with a great team now, I owe a lot to the advice and wisdom of the coolrunner boomers. Lately I’ve set a goal to run under three hours. I tried last fall, missed, and aimed for doing it in Vermont this spring. With family and work commitments I can mainly get in 30-50 miles per week so I’ve focused on quality for what I can’t get in quantity. Each week I do intervals, hill work and weekend long runs. In prep for Vermont (end of May) I planned to run Boston as a test/training run (i.e. no anxiety about time). The race Skipping ahead to the start, I lined up with the others and was happy to be able to see the announcers and cameras. I had been freezing (gloves at home), but fortunately someone else in the corral gave up his gloves to the clothing pile. OK, now I was ready! While listening to the national anthem, I turned just in time to see the fly-over between the clouds (very cool). Then, as if Dave McGillivray planned it, the clouds parted and the sun beamed down. You could hear an audible grown from all us fair-skinned guys that didn’t plan for sunscreen. With the gun it moved along pretty well, just over a minute to the line. I spent the first few miles relaxing and chatting with others (btw, great way to keep from running too fast). This guy dressed up as Minnie Mouse, who supposedly dresses that way for many marathons, passed me going too fast to chase down. I made a pace band for 3:15, which I was going to be a comfortable pace but still a good test of my training. After three miles I was two minutes under the pace. I thought maybe I’d do a good half then back off. 1 - 7:17 2 - 6:55 3 - 6:48 4 - 6:43 5 - 7:01 Running through Framingham and home town Natick I loved seeing my wife and sister on their bikes a couple of times. I didn’t pay attention to the splits, just my comfort and the crowds. I was high fiving all the kids and having a great time. I surged the last bit to before the half, not that it meant anything, but that was my focus. After crossing the halfway mats I felt slightly drained so I eased up a bit. 6 - 6:45 7 - 6:49 8 - 7:01 9 - 6:59 10 - 7:17 11 - 7:16 12 - 6:48 13 - 7:07 13.1 - 1:31:17 I ate another gel pack and washed it down at the next water stop. Interestingly this was the first marathon that I didn’t stop even for a single step. The first of the four big hills goes over I-95 and typically has sparse crowds. This year it was packed. I soaked up their cheers and was over the hill before realizing. The next one went smoothly as well. I was trying to be cautious remembering the cramps of last year. I completely spaced where and when to look for the Boomer team and bang out of nowhere somebody is running next to me with a bottle with my name on it…awesome! I kept in all the way up and over the hill enjoying every drop. Thank you Boomer/Master crew!!! 14 - 7:03 15 - 7:22 16 - 6:58 17 - 7:26 18 - 7:25 19 - 7:39 20 - 7:29 My training was paying off as I passed a lot of runners going up the final hill. I think the sun was slowing some down. I soaked in the crowds’ screams and cheers and let them do the work. Heading down by BC I could smell all the BBQing going on. Minnie Mouse was going much slower as I caught him. Brookline was whizzing by, though I shouldn’t get to far ahead of plan…this is a prep race! With about four to go I noticed I was not just near 3:10 pace, but close to a PR…I’m trying to do the math, but can’t before I get to mile 23. Hating the idea of just missing a PR, I bear down for a mile (6:47). 21 - 7:42 22 - 7:08 23 - 6:58 24 - 6:47 At mile 24 I pass the area I cramped last year or rather flew by it. Over the bridge and into Kenmore square I the crowd still pumped me up. Nearing the one-mile to go sign I was starting to fade fast. I should have taken one more gel than I did and was starting to run low on energy. I had a brief panic that I’d bonk or something. I remembered one of those great billboards “Brain off, Legs on!” I kept repeating that and “just get to the turns.” Turning onto Hereford, the deafening cheers pulled me out of my head. I passed another dozen runners, turned onto Boylston, and could see the finish line. Knocking off one block at a time it was now easier and easier to gage my pace and push it right up to the end. I glanced at my watch it looked at least a minute under my PR, but I wasn’t sure. I caught my breath and recovered. Beyond the PR I just grooved on that euphoria that comes when you finish a marathon. I congratulated other runners grabbed some water and headed to meet up with teammates. My legs feel tired, but better than after any marathon. I’m feeling very optimistic that I’ll be in great shape for Vermont. Hell, I'm just giddy about how well it went! 25 - 7:12 26 - 7:20 <- it="" seemed="" much="" faster="" than="" that!="" 26.2="" -="" 1:28=""></->Stats: 3:06:17 (BQ and PR by almost 3 minutes) 1882/21963 overall (top 9%) 1772/13028 male (top 13%) 442/4644 division (M 40-49) (top 10%) Fashion: Asics 2130, blue BAA shorts and singlet, cool racing shades Fueling: water at each stop and Gatorade at every other. Water and Gu at the start and roughly every 45 mins Lessons learned: 1. Re-read old lessons – I meant to go back to my notes, but never got to it 2. For me I must eat more – Mark pace band next time! I’ve never eaten too much and probably can’t 3. Even if they forecast cloudy, use sunscreen. (I feel like a nuclear blast victim) 4. Let the crowds do the work! Seriously, I fed off the enthusiasm of the amazing crowds. Obviously you can go too far, but don’t be afraid to let the crowd chase out any doubts. 5. Don’t eat the ice cream on a wooden spoon they give out on the course…it tastes like petroleum jelly…sheesh! :-P
    -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
    also on Twitter
      Nice race! Your quality over quantity training paid off big time. It was obvious that you ran this one well, passing many runners the last few miles. That's always a great feeling! You'll get that sub-3 soon enough. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

coastwalker

Yikes: Using Boston as a 'training' run, and then, oh yeah, requalifying and setting a 3-minute PR! Holy cow - what a race. I love the "Brain off, legs on" mantra. Yes, I think it is safe to say that you'll be in good shape for Vermont... Congratulations on a fabulous race! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Very nice... seems like you have Boston figured out.... Passing people who went out too fast is a great experience - much better than being one those passed (as I know from experience). Great race and great report... I felt like I was there. Ray Blush Cool Clowning around Wink

Head Procrastinator

I'll reply here since I can't read KR at work anymore Cry WOOHOOO, you rocked Boston Craig! Loved the report, and you are very easy to pick out of a crowd. Glad we saw you fly by the water stop and glad we saw you at the O trials. Good luck in Vermont, sounds like you will meet your goal no problem. Barb
            ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
            seemomgo

Wow! Your report is very impressive - almost as impressive as your running! LOVE lesson #5 Big grin Congratulations!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Craig that was an awesome Boston for you! I could see you ran it by feel and you must have felt pretty darn good! Congratulations on the PR! btw, I think they were handing out Petroleum Jelly too... Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

awesome PR craig!!! congratulations!!

denise

It was lovely to meet you, albeit it fleetingly--kinda like you, speedy guy! Great run & report. Big congrats! Hope to be able to visit with you more next year! grins, A
                    Masters 2000 miles
                      Way to go, busi. It's impressive you got a PR and BQ at Boston. Congratulations. TomS

King of PhotoShop

Happy for you Busi. You recall we met in '04. For a guy who is relatively new to running, you are some fast guy. And the best part is, you ain't done yet. Keep hauling in those PR's. Great job. Spareribs
                        busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Thanks folks! After so many marathons that ended with a cramp, shuffle, or bonk, it was about time it went better than expected :-) I meant to add how great it was to catch up with some of the other Boomers at the Olympic Trials; Aamos, hally, Pro, BTB, PBJ+, and a few others. What a great weekend! Yes Spare, I remember meeting at the Expo. Looking back its funny how much of a rookie I was. Thanks for helping me shake it :-P
                          -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                          also on Twitter
                            Wow..what a great race....you were really tuned into yourself.....pure concentration and in the zone...double wow.... And, passed right by those cramps...I envy you.... Congrats on a great effort and PR....
                              This is a marvelous report and very inspiring----not too long at all. I hope you'll post your next race report here since I bet that will be awesome too. Great racing and congratulations on blasting that PR and previous Boston time. You should be feeling giddy----those last miles from 22 onward reveal your fitness and speed. Vermont City---watch out! Karin
                                Wow, you guys are fast! Nice PR!
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM