Masters Running

Saturday, May 18 Daily (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Denise, that was such a descriptive, emotional post yesterday. I keep thinking about it, and you, and all of us, and all of us beyond RA. Thank you.

Ribs, I also really like the concept of "anchoring." So many way's (as Holly demonstrated) to apply it.

Twocat, too bad the best runs weren't along the water - what a shame. BTW, thanks for the quackers...

Steve, when we try to teach our cat a trick, she just stares at us also. I can only imagine what is going through her mind.

Holly - share those recipes!

I'll bet the wedding cake you baked is gorgeous, Mariposai!

I got up on time this morning, but spent a little time doing some work on my laptop before heading out, finally, at 4:45. I went 6.5 racewalkng miles, which is exactly what I had planned. My body was working hard, but my head was introspective/reflective, and it was a nice combination. Now, DW is taking me out to breakfast at our favorite dive - woohoo!

Our rain barrel silent auction is this morning - should be interesting!

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Greetings Jay and all to follow! I hope the auction goes well---the barrels are great looking.

Lots and lots of travel of late, but still building it back on the running front and having fun. Ran all around the Ithaca College campus yesterday---beautiful morning with spectacular views of Cayuga Lake. Home now and will run with Hudson for a few miles and then head to the kiddo's track meet (he's running the 4x800).  May have to make this a double run day to absorb as much of the great weather as possible.

Loved your post Denise---powerful and glad you were able to make the trek in just the way you needed and at the right time.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Loved your post Denise---powerful and glad you were able to make the trek in just the way you needed and at the right time.

Thinking back about the emotional turmoil I felt, even at a distance, I can't imagine what it was like being directly involved.  So happy for your peace and hope everyone involved can find some measure of that for themselves.

Stuck at the plant down in NC while the civil guys build me a bigger pad for all my gear that came in bigger than I was told.  We were SUPPOSED to be in the middle of switching it out at the moment.  But that's not happening until Monday--which makes the schedule interesting.  I'm leaving on Thursday to go to a wedding in Chicago, so will be sticking one of our junior engineers with duty that could stretch into Memorial day weekend.  Seniority does have a few advantages.

One of the few positives is that I won't be working on Sunday as planned, so I hope to sneak out for something that I HOPE resembles a long run.  Which at this point seems to be more than 3 miles.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

C-R

Morning All

Great to CNY back running and in such pretty area in the spring too.

Got a quick run prior to leaving town. Will get another tonight. But first its loading up the SUV with tents, chairs, soccer gear, clothes, ipods, computers and on and on and on. I remember when all I had was a small gym bag with some extra uniforms and a book. I'm getting old aren't I? But enjoying the ride.

Holly - please share those recipes.

Stumpy - we used to call that RHIP - rank has its privilege. Enjoy

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

..deez///..........that was a very Powerful post yesterday, thank you...........

============

28min poolrun with drag............

as opposed

to IN drag...........damn pantyhose kept  snagging at the turnaround

..............off to Ky after work,

family

is gathering

to say goodbye to my uncle (the concert pianist),

at 96 he doesn't have much longer,

has Walked his whole life,

and

possibly the great shape he has been in is one of the problems with his passing

aunts and uncles up from atlanta,

DD1 in from Ankara with grandbaby

Sad and Sweet all at the same time

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Another warm, muggy day here.  My RP and I ran a local 5K to raise funds for suicide awareness.  Small turnout of just over 200 runners.  I guess I won my age group, although they didn't have any award ceremony. Ran 25:13, or 8:07's, an enjoyable start to the morning.

Today is the big day for Prime Rib. He graduates from SMU with his MFA tonight, so of course we are all going. He was selected to be the marshall of his class, whatever that means, so he will lead the students into the ceremony.  Then we're all going out to dinner in Dallas to celebrate.  Spareribs

Thanks everyone for your kind words about how I was feeling yesterday - I know it is something we are all experiencing in our own ways.

Ribs - I was so thankful to be with you when we were stopped and even more when we knew our text to the Saint went thru so she knew you were safe!!  Congrats to Prime Rib and to all of you!!

Mariposai - cant wait to hear about your marathon date with your son!!

Holly - please please please share your recipes!!

5.2 miles with friends from my running group on this beautiful morning!!  Can't believe Erika is still dealing with ice and snow -- you are a strong, dedicated woman my friend!!

Just went out for another 1.5 miles in new sneakers to give them a little test run for tomorrow.  Doing the JCC sprint in Marblehead tomorrow -- 250 yard pool swim, 10 mile bike, 3.5 mile run ......very excited!!

Have a wonderful weekend my dear friends!!

denise

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

TW-Sad but sweet is still good.  And a blessing to be able to do it before he passes.  Keep and enjoy the memories.

PS--probably best that you don't go in drag.  Don't want to hurry things along.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

coastwalker what is a rain barrel silent auction?  Whatever it is I hope it raises a lot of money for whatever it is raising money for.  BTW, do you ever watch Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives?  I wonder if your favorite breakfast dive has made it on to the show.

CNYrunner Ithaca is a beautiful place to run.  But those hills!  wildchild no you cannot comment.

stumpy77 yes, seniority is about the only positive of getting older!  Glad you are getting to put that one perk to use.

deez4boyz I have found it very touching how strongly runners and non-runners alike have reacted to the bombings.  The support and consideration have been wonderful to see.

I had planned to do a "long" run this morning.  As in long for a time when I am not really training for anything which translates into 13 or 14 miles.  But the best laid plans . . . I am not sure what I ate yesterday at lunch that did me in but it sure did produce a pretty impressive case of food poisoning. Dead  What an evening last night!  Then I slept for about 11 hours.  Got up.  Went downstairs and fell asleep on the couch for another couple of hours.  Yawn, I think I am going to take another nap. No, really I am going to hit the post key and curl up to sleep again!  I guess the good news is it should be over and done with by tomorrow morning.

In other news the Metro North train derailment has deep sixed my DW's commute.  I had to pick her up at a train station in the next town over yesterday.  The news says service will not resume on Monday and no promises after that.  I guess the good news is my DW will work from home on Monday so I may do so as well.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

Well, I'm in Wisconsin.  I should have planned things so I knew when Jlynne was working at the expo.  As it worked out, I went to the expo when I arrived in town around 2:00 yesterday.

I took the SS.Badger across Lake Michigan.  It turned out to be the 60th anniversary of the Badger.  Miss Ludington was there greeting people and passing out souvenir tickets.  On the Manitowoc side there was a classroom of kids there holding welcome signs.  Kind of a like an Andy Griffith small town moment.

It was cold and rainy yesterday.  Typical of all my visits to this area.  It is either cold and rainy, or brutally hot.  Roll eyes  Today is very nice though and tomorrow is looking good.

Mariposai

A quick post here before we head to Spokane for the race tomorrow.

A messy morning around here fighting a cake frosting that did not want to work (too humid here today). Thank goodness the wedding is not until tomorrow.

Twocat, I am so sorry to hear about your food poisoning. I have been there before. The last one the day before a marathon...not fun.

Well time to pack the bag and drive. I am so excited about the marathon tomorrow. My son and my other son are looking forward to it to Joking.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Sad and Sweet all at the same time

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

TomWhite - I hope the sweet outweighs the sad…

Jay – How did the auction go?

Stumpy – love the avatar…

Congrats to Prime Rib!

C-R – good luck at the tournament!

Twocat – sounds like it might be more like stomach flu than food poisoning.  Rest up and drink lots of fluids.

Since I am scheduled to do a 20-miler tomorrow (last big LR before Another Dam 50k in 2 weeks), I decided to give my knee more rest by riding my bike instead.  I rode 11.35 miles in about an hour.  8 miles in, my hands were numb, my butt was numb, and the toes on my right foot had fallen asleep.  By the time I had ridden up the steep hill to my house, in low gear and standing up, my thighs were toast.  I walked like a sailor for ten minutes after I got off the bike.  I see I have my work cut out for me.

I will post the Island recipes on Monday.  I want to take them to work and scan them to Word and post them from that.

Off to watch DD’s softball game…

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R, what a bummer with the calf cramp.  I get those periodically but not as severe as you describe.  Jay, you have every right to be a bit sore after unloading all that planking.  deez, what a neat post.  I'm sure the run was good for you.  ribs, congrats to Prime Rib on his MFA.  Twocat, sorry to hear about the food poisoning.  I hope you recover quickly.

This morning, I did a 5K race in Dave's town while he's away.  My GPS gave me a time of 28:22, distance, of 3.06 miles, and pace of 9:17.  I was hoping to keep it under 30 minutes so was happy.  It appears I was 3/5 in my AG (65-69)  and 389/1032 OA.  I did a mile warmup and 1.95 miles after to call it 6 miles for the day.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

mustang sally

Bad faerie

I'm such an idiot.

Error 1: Looking at local National Team member's unbelievably hilly ride on Strava and thinking, "That looks like fun."
                                Error 1.5: Telling the world you're going to do it.
                                Error 2: Waking up with a cold but deciding to go anyway, because you said you would in public.
                                Error 3: Going down a -20% grade, crazy slippery hill because it was the way Simon went. Just. Don't.
                                Error 4: Ignoring the quantity of brain matter accompanying floods of snot.
                                Error 5: Interpreting increasingly baulky shifting as road crap in the cable track
                                Error 6: Getting myself into a nice deep hollow far, far from home when cable snaps.
                                Error 7: Riding the whole [deleted] way home on a two-speed.

*sigh*

In other news, I have bought a mountain bike to replace my venerable "Tank."  It is pink.  I think I shall honour the history of this community by naming it, "Pank."