Masters Running

Hally/NYC marathoners and Noo Yawkers (Read 578 times)

In my "bellies" thread, hally charmingly offered to tote me off to a clam place on LI but more importantly, suggested a Saturday lunch meeting for anyone interested (no, I won't insist on the clam place for lunch, I promise!) Would it make sense to designate a spot near the Expo, since everyone has to go there at some point? This sounds lilke fun, not to mention we could chat and figure out if we can meet up the next day to while away the hours Sunday am before the race start. And obsess about weather, what to wear, and all that other stuff we do before races. Cool Thanks, hally-Barb! grins, A ps: I got my clams--fried ones Friday and steamers Sunday. Big grin
    Masters 2000 miles
    evanflein

This would be great! And yes, someplace near the Expo would be best.
        I'm up for a meeting if I can squeeze it in. My friend Brian and I are driving down early Saturday morning from Maine and we'll be heading back after the marathon on Sunday due to our schedules. I'm pretty sure that we are scheduled to have dinner with a friend of his that is so graciously providing us with accomodations and transportation to where ever we need to be on Sunday. I still can't believe that you were in Portland this past week Amy and I missed you...DUH!! Confused A lunch or what have you somewhere in the vicinity of the Expo would be great if at all possible.

Head Procrastinator

Last year we had lunch here and everyone loved it. http://www.robertopasson.com/media/robertopasson.html They had brunch or dinner menu and everyone raved. Plenty of pasta, the gnocchi was EXCELLENT as was the dish I had which was the veal ossobucco over Garganelli. It's not far from the expo on foot. There are a ton of restaurants on 9th and 10th if you want I can choose another place. It would be nice to get a headcount even if it's a little off cause well it is NYC and it would be nice to be expected and seated ASAP.
          ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
            My only real question is how far from a subway stop is the restaurant? Given the uncertainty of me making it nobody should consider this a real issue when picking a place. Right now my friend and training partner are planning to pick up our packets on Friday. After that we will meet my DW and the three of us will likely stay in the city for dinner before heading to CT for the night. (Anybody else around Friday for dinner?) While I am staying Saturday night in the city I am not sure when I will get in and thus may or may not make the lunch.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Hally, I trust you to pick something wonderful and count two of us (Peter and me). I'm so excited to see you again and to meet Amy, Bob and (I hope) Twocat! Oh, anyone know how to reach WifiTim?
                Hally, I trust you to pick something wonderful and count two of us (Peter and me). I'm so excited to see you again and to meet Amy, Bob and (I hope) Twocat! Oh, anyone know how to reach WifiTim?
                I'm good with whatever you all come up with as long as it is fairly close to the expo. I'll also have my running friend Brian with me. Of course as with everyone else timing will be an issue...we have to head over to NJ to meet up with Brian's friend who is setting us up for the evening and we'll be having dinner with him. On a side note what wave are you guys all running? Brian and I are in the first wave at 9:40...as Amy said it would be nice to meet up on Sunday as well to "while away the hours" so to speak.

Head Procrastinator

The restaurant is at 50th and 9th and the subway is on 50th and 8th. The Javits Center is on 11th between 34th and 39th.There isn't much near the Javits Center. The closest subway to Javits is the 8th Ave line on 34th or 42nd, but if you go to 42 you are only 8 blocks from restaurant. They also have these yellow things called cabs. You stick your arm up when you see one with it's light on and it will take you wherever you want to go Big grin Or, you can walk. Give me a headcount and a time to meet the week of the race and I will call and make sure they aren't having a private party or something that day. There are a ton of great places on 9th so if they can't accomodate us I will pick something suitably carb loaded.
                  ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                    They also have these yellow things called cabs. You stick your arm up when you see one with it's light on and it will take you wherever you want to go Big grin
                    No freaking way...I only thought those things were in the movies! Wink
                      Here are my gory starting details. If I miss the lunch on Saturday I hope to see some of you on Staten Island for the pre-race nothing to do waiting around party! Start time: 9:40am. Transportation to start : Midtown Manhattan (New York Public Library) - 6:00 AM. I hope this helps figure out a gathering. I have never run this race so in terms of a focal gathering point I am pretty much useless. Any experienced NYC Marathoners out here with an idea of where to meet at the start pre-race? P.S. mainerunnah what is your goal time? Your last race was just under 3:20 which is what I am shooting for. Just asking in case you want somebody to pace with. Well at least until I figure out I will not make it all 26.2 at that pace!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

I'm in the first wave also, 9:40 a.m., which surprises me because I put 3:45 as my target time. I'm running as part of Team ING so wonder if that has anything to do with my placing. Whatever, I like starting earlier rather than later.
                          Here are my gory starting details. If I miss the lunch on Saturday I hope to see some of you on Staten Island for the pre-race nothing to do waiting around party! Start time: 9:40am. Transportation to start : Midtown Manhattan (New York Public Library) - 6:00 AM. I hope this helps figure out a gathering. I have never run this race so in terms of a focal gathering point I am pretty much useless. Any experienced NYC Marathoners out here with an idea of where to meet at the start pre-race? P.S. mainerunnah what is your goal time? Your last race was just under 3:20 which is what I am shooting for. Just asking in case you want somebody to pace with. Well at least until I figure out I will not make it all 26.2 at that pace!
                          My running friend Brian and I have discussed going for a 3:15:00 (7:27) if all is well on Nov.2nd. I would love to have someone else to pace with. I think if I hadn't lost my companion around mile 17 here in Maine I would have been able to maintain a little better and probably been a couple minutes faster. So anyways that would be great if we can hook up somehow. Our start time is at 9:40 as well, but our transportation is a little bit different. We are running as part of the NYPD Running Club and get to ride in with them. We meet at Park Central Hotel - 870 7th Ave at 6:30 and get an uninterrupted ride over to the start/staging area. But I am sure we can hook up. I always carry my cell phone with me for emergency purposes etc. and would be glad to swap numbers if you'll have yours, otherwise we can figure something out I am sure. Big grin
                            All the NYC marathon talk makes me grin. It will probably be easier for Erika and Amy to meet up as they usually have the women under 3:45 targets gather in their own start area (complete with a tent and your own porta-potties). I am no expert but have run it seven times since 1987. The last times I have run this that's been the case for the women and it's wonderful. Now that they have gone to waves it may be somewhat different, but I had an orange bib and was in the earlier start group even without the waves. The women in that group were up on the top level of the V-N bridge and over on the left separate from the men. It only took me 45 seconds to cross the start line. You'll stay separated until you merge well into Brooklyn. The race information booklet that the NYRR sends out soon will be full of the details including a map of the start area. You might find a good spot in there. One of my cousins was in the green start (lower level of the bridge---stay away from the edges if you know what I mean---or you will get sprayed) and we never linked up even with cell phones and all. It's organized chaos in the start area. They do a phenomenal job, but it's wild. I'll be waiting for you all in Central Park. I just got my volunteer assignment and it's distributing finisher medals! I'll have to track y'all on my cell phone so I can see your wonderful finishes. Twocat and mainerunnah....want to pace me next weekend at Baystate for a pre-marathon workout? Big grin Over and out CNYrunner
                              I'll be waiting for you all in Central Park. I just got my volunteer assignment and it's distributing finisher medals! I'll have to track y'all on my cell phone so I can see your wonderful finishes. Twocat and mainerunnah....want to pace me next weekend at Baystate for a pre-marathon workout? Big grin Over and out CNYrunner
                              Karin that is so cool that you will be distributing medals, I will certainly be looking for you at the finish. Last year I brought a couple of those disposable cameras and had a great time taking photos and had a volunteer at the finish snap one for me as well. I'll make sure to save a photo for you at the finish! Wink As far as Baystate goes I was really considering it as a backup in case Maine didn't go well, but since it did I'm definitely holding back for NY now and will hope to have a good race there with no pressure (yeah right I almost believe that Big grin ) I really would have loved to have gone down otherwise. I hope you have a great race, I'll be looking forward to the results.
                                Just figured I would see if we could get some more info on NY. I got my card in the mail last week and my info is as follows: Start time - 9:40 1st wave Corral - D Bib # - 12437 As I said earlier Brian and I are looking to go out at about a 3:15:00 pace - 7:27 +/- if anyone wants to join us we would ceratinly love the company.