Masters Running

Thursday May 26 Stormy Runs and Workouts (Read 513 times)

lamerunner

good morning! Holly, that game last night sounds like my DS' lax game on Tuesday, except thankfully we did not get hail.   How is the new job going?

Nice run Erika and 75 degrees, wow!   Finally getting warm here this week, just in time for me to try a hilly 50k with wet fields. ... just for fun though.

OM, rest up!

5 miles this morning in bright sun and pretty warm temps, 60-ish. Fairly fast because I was running late. DD was up late making cupcakes for "etiquette day."  She made tie dyed batter and very decorated tops.  They are beautiful!

I was up late making quinoa salad for same event. Still some dishes and food transport logistcis to deal with this morning. DD's Ap world literature teacher does this etiquette day thing as kind of the last project for the year; it is all seniors in the class and they need something other than another  paper at this point.  I will go over to her school at lunch, on my best  behavior of course.

In additon to all the food prep. last night,  we had DS lax practice, I had to go get him pants for his band concert tonight and my DH managed to buy furniture from craigs list that he did not want and neither of us likes. Long story.

DS has band concert tonight.

Prom and graduation coming up pretty soon...

I would really like soem rest and a hike or two.

Happy Thursday!

Henrun

Holly, glad you made it through that mess. When I saw the weather report for your area I called my DD (who lives just south of Dayton) and found that the front was just missing them. On Monday they had a 12 hour power outage and their food was spoiled. Terrible weather in the midwest. We're heading there next Thursday for my grandson's high school graduation-hope the weather clears before that.

Beautiful day here. I'm about to go for a short run and cycle in the p.m.

BTW-Holly any short races in your area next Sunday? (Graduation is Saturday-we're always ready for a race when visiting).

OrangeMat

MM #6177

I'm reading Pale Demon by Kim Harrison, the 9th book in her series. Totally escapism fiction and I love it. Smile I'm about to go sit outside in my backyard before the landscapers come out in full blast and soak up the quiet and the sun. So yes, I'm resting and enjoying it!

Opie, belated congratulations for you DD being valedictorian.  that is so wonderful.

Thanks.  Good luck at TC!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

dg.

thanks!

King of PhotoShop

Hey Opie!

Twocat, how come you didn't connect with Daave while you are in AA?  Or maybe you did.

You get lots of rest now Esther.    Spareribs

OrangeMat

MM #6177

I'm resting, I'm resting! Sheesh, this is all I've done today, honest....

Eh, it's just a little salad...

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Holy cow OM - I have that exact bowl so I know how "small" it is!!  Wink

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

evanflein

OM, that salad looks wonderful! Enjoy your day of recovery, you've really earned it.

Lamerunner, that's funny about being on your best behavior. And I know exactly what you mean!

Holly that was quite the drive home you had. I'm with Deb on asking if there are any dents in the car?

Nancy, we had a light pinot grigio to start the evening, out in the warm sunshine. Nice way to end the day.

We get a summer weather pattern of really warm afternoons where the thunderheads build up and move through the area usually at about the time we're getting off work and heading out to early evening games and such. Usually this is the pattern thru most of June, but we're having it now to some extent, just no real rain yet. We're very dry... which is why these thunderstorms are so dangerous. Most of our fires around here are from lightning strikes. Yesterday's run was hard because the wind was picking up from a front coming in, but we never got rain (or thunder) here. The clouds seemed to blow over and dissipate pretty soon and we had a lovely evening. But I ran with a headwind the whole way home. Bleh.

Our forecast today is for temps up to 80° with (of course) thunderstorms in the late afternoon. I'll be running at lunch to get it done before the wind picks up and any rain or hail comes down.

jlynne, I hope the possible herniated disc can be dealt with in the least disruptive manner.  OM, it sounds like you are doing well as you begin your recovery.  wild and OM, I relate to the kids coming home to visit.  We always love to have them come but often comment how they disrupt the routine we've gotten used to without them.  holly, that was some hailstorm you had to drive through.  My mind works the same way as some of the others as I wondered if your car suffered any dents.

Yesterday, when I went for my non-running day 4 mile walk, I had a few hamstring twinges that made me nervous.  They quit bothering me after about 3 miles.  I woke up this morning wondering about that and then heard the rain coming down.  I was quickly losing my enthusiasm for going out and I didn't have much desire to start with.  I kept putzing around hoping the rain would abate but, after a couple hours, I gave up on it and decided to hit the TM but do it slower than usual.  I figured I should do at least 4 miles which is what I like to have as an average distance.  Since I don't run every day, 8 would be better, and 10 was a "pie in the sky" dream.  I set the TM at 5.7 mph (10:31 min/mi) and set out to take whatever happened.  It never got inspiring but it never got too bad and I ended up with 12 miles.  When I read that Dave and hopeful didn't go out in the rain, it eased my guilt feelings.  But then, mari toughed it out in the rain which made me almost feel wimpy. 

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Why am I thinking of Elaine ordering the big salad in Seinfeld?

Good lunch run except I drank too much coffee this morning and was a sweat monster during the run because of the humidity, so my stomach was like a coffee pot where all the water has evaporated!  Eating helped and I'm drinking water like crazy.  4 mi.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

TammyinGP

Our forecast today is for temps up to 80° with (of course) thunderstorms in the late afternoon. I'll be running at lunch to get it done before the wind picks up and any rain or hail comes down.

I must have missed the news Erika. Where did you guys move to?

Wink

Tammy

Maniac 505

Holly, that sounds scarey.  Hope the car is OK.  good looking salad OM,

15 miles for me today.  longest run in a while.

dg. yes I am in Ann Arbor right now.  You can tell by the fact that is it pouring outside.  But I am leaving tomorrow at the crack of dawn.

Spareribs mostly because I have a memory like a steal sieve and can never remember who is where.  I am not sure it would have mattered.  I cannot run yet and I am otherwise pretty busy at this conference.

Mariposai so how much is it worth to ya?  I hear plane tickets to your marathon are going cheap.  Big grin

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Tammy, we moved right into summer!!  77° out there now, and 24% humidity. Had an excellent run on the last 5.5 miles of the ultra trail. Last time I ran that there was still some ice and snow piles here and there. That's all gone now (of course) but it's pretty "squishy" in spots. A few more days of warm dry weather should help firm that up a bit. I was a total sweaty mess when I got back and really didn't want to come back to work. oh well.