Masters Running

Saturday June 13 Daily (Read 26 times)

Tramps

Good morning.

Pretty nasty out there, especially for June.  I got a 6-miler in with some walking in the last half.

Sad to see the Salazar claims gaining more traction.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Tramps, these are some pretty compelling allegations!  Lots more to this story I think.

4.2 miles with the Saint this morning in the park, just to get our weekly number in.

My son Hudson has gotten a job with The Container Store, and will keep his job at the supermarket on weekends.  His plan is to work every day til school starts, other than this Mon-Wed when he will be at U of TX orientation.  That same 3 days I'll be in Cleveland working.  Spareribs

Dave59

I ran another 12-miler this morning.  3 Saturday's in a row.  I am still slow but I am getting better:

Today          2:00:50  (Upper 50's and humid, but humid in the 50's ain't bad)
        Last week:     2:07:24  (50 and crisp. Perfect weather.)
        Two weeks ago: 2:11:33  (70 humid brutal)

Just a few weeks of consistency on my workouts along with cutting back on the running for gym workouts are making a difference.  I was running 6 days a week without much of a plan.  Now I go to the gym on Monday & Friday, hard hill workout on Tuesday, run on my own Wednesday, group trail run on Thursday, long on Saturday, rest on Sunday.  More quality, less randomness.

If I could ever lose some weight I could get back to a 9:00/mile half marathon pace.

I am working today. Trying to get things ready for a big install tomorrow. Luckily, 2 guys at the office are going to handle that part so I don't have to blow my Sunday on work.  The problem is that they started the pre-install step yesterday afternoon and went home before seeing that it failed.  I spent a couple hours on it yesterday but I kept hitting new problems.  Hopefully I'll get it done without too much trouble today.  Then when the guys show up tomorrow they will be all set to go.

wildchild

Carolyn

Dave,  sounds like your plan is working!  I do the random running/working out thing, and although it's not working in terms of making me faster or stronger, I'm happy just running, so that's something.  I could probably use more rest days, though, and some actual speed work.

Ribs, Hudson sounds like a very driven young man.  But working every day till school starts?  When will he enjoy the summer?   What about vacation, and time with his friends?

Tramps, I liked your pi post yesterday.  Yeah, I figured you meant me when you said "you know who you are." 

Rest day today, since I'm racing tomorrow. I use the term "racing" loosely, though.  More like a fun run with friends.  I'm running the inaugural South Park Trail Marathon, organized by Human Potential Running Series.  My friend John is the RD.  Last year he decided to try to make a living as an RD after losing several jobs in a row, and he's putting a ton of energy into it. He's trying to run "old school" ultras, with no prize money for elites, and generous cutoff times, and with an emphasis on community.  He has also organized a series of Fat Ass runs in Colorado for the past several years, and they're getting really popular.  He also started a FB group called Front Range Ultra Runners, as a way to get people running together, and most of my weekend long runs are with this group.   Oh, and he also planned the Bryce Canyon trip I went on last month.  If any of you are ever looking for a fun trail race in Colorado, with distances ranging from half marathon to 100 miles, look up http://humanpotentialrunning.com/.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Ribs - my DS has a similar idea.  He is working at a fancy candy store at the mall and also picking up $75/week mowing/edging/weed-eating a couple of neighbor's lawns.  He is hoping to stockpile as much as he can before school starts, although, since he will be a commuter student, he plans on keeping a few shifts at the candy store after school starts.

DH and I were going out of town this weekend to meet friends, but they had a family emergency and so we have cancelled our plans.  I don't mind staying home and getting some work hours in, since I took Friday off and will take Monday off as well.  I have lots of vacation time available, just too darn busy to use much of it at a time.

10 miles for me today in 74-76 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Wild, good question and one we asked him.  Two things:  First, he loves to work. Always comes home energized and full of stories, so we never feel like it's drudgery for him.  Second, he reports to school August 23, but stops work August 15, and we are planning some kind of short trip with him, most likely NYC. He'll be okay.  The summer is short.  He graduated from h.s. in May, so he's been idle quite a bit.

Holly, good for your son. Love to see that initiative without having to push him.

Last minute decision to go to the ball game this afternoon. Any Minnesotans out there to root against us? Should be a good one. Spareribs

Good job on the speedwork, Mike and nice long run, Holly.

As Dave has posted, we've had pretty nice weather lately.  This morning, it was in the mid 50s and there was a light wind.  I got in 9 miles at an 11:55 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

It sounds like the RA Masters' kids are staying productively busy this summer - always a good thing!

That seems like a pretty good training program Dave - must be working if you're getting faster. Good luck with the big install.

Ran a 10k race this morning - billed to be "one of the largest 10k races in the country." Ribs - Boston Billy, Joan Benoit Samuelson, Uta and Meb were all here. It took almost 15 minutes for them to introduce all of the celebrities.  My watch malfunctioned at the start and I thought I ran it better than the results showed, but oh well. 1:04:01 which was good enough for 24th out of 250 in the women's 60-64 AG, and 2,251 out of 7,783 for all the women running today. It was overcast, warm and humid and 62° at the start which is about 20° warmer than I like. I also lost my bet with DH for a dinner out this evening. I had to finish in an hour or less to earn that, so it looks like we're eating in tonight.  Hope he likes his Rice Krispies and wheat toast

I see that RA has made some improvements to the log's user interface.  Now if there was just a fix so that posting from a cell phone was not such torture.  You cannot have everything.  But, making it hard to post with a cell phone is not helping to make RA any friends.  Yesterday's daily was pretty thin!  Sad to see.  Not all due to the interface of course.  Still every little thing eventually adds up.

I managed to get in 14 miles today.  I can tell it is warm.  I go out and I am happy from the first step!  

Next week I am leaving for Seattle for a conference.  Then a trip to see Mariposai  I am not sure what my time will look like due to the conference but I am going to see if it is possible to see an RA master or two during my stay in Seattle.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

I never root against anybody...but I'll be rooting for my Minnesota Twins.

Doesn't everybody like Rice Krispies and wheat toast?

mrrun

we're jealous of those with cooler temps - ran the Market Day 10K in high 70's with full sun!

Jay came in first with 2nd in AG, then me then Henry.  We had meet-up before and then later while walking on the streets.  This was before pic with Henry and son.

marj

Mike E

MM #5615

Yes, Ribs, I'm still rooting for the Twins.

Hi all!!

Nice job Jlynne - our Dave McGillivray was there as well .... we love Dave!!

Great picture Marj and Henry!

Twocat - PLEASE try to convince Mariposai to come back for RTB this year ---- I am feeling deserted by the RA females --- PLEASE women think about joining our Rois Ruiz team ......yes, I am begging!! I need some female friends on the team!!!

I finally went to one of our running group's hosted runs and could actually run!! My longest run since Christmas!! YAY!!

9.1 miles with friends at a conversational pace - 9:52 avg with hills and talking I am very pleased with that.....also very little heel discomfort during and after the run!!  Then jumped on my bike and went out with another friend for a 15 mile ride with most of it being along the same route we ran on so lots of hills.  I wish I had more confidence on the bike, but I am a nervous rider and last week's brush with the van hasn't helped that. To top it off, I was riding in front of my house just checking the gears shifting when I heard a pop -- yep, another flat on my front tire!! Think I will take it to the bike shop this week as DH suggested to have them really check it on and make sure there isn't something wrong with the tire itself -- need to feel more confident for my 70.3 triathlon next weekend!!

Work Sunday and Monday then off for 6 days!! So looking forward to that!!

Have a wonderful rest of the weekend my friends!!

denise

Mariposai

Hi all!!

Twocat - PLEASE try to convince Mariposai to come back for RTB this year ---- I am feeling deserted by the RA females --- PLEASE women think about joining our Rois Ruiz team ......yes, I am begging!! I need some female friends on the team!!!

I so badly want to be there, but because of my new job and my DH's job schedule, and Peace Corps Macedonias schedule we are forced to go to see our son David right during the relay. This is totally out of my control. I had all the intention and desire to be there, but at the same time, this is totally out of my control.

Holly and Spareribs, two nice young man you are sending off to the university world. Great job parents!

Today was 14 miles running exploring new running routes where we can run with Twocat and Mrs. Twocat when they are here next week. We are so excited to have them here. The rest of the day was spent studying accounting 101 and clean up the posie nest.

Cheers!

Posie.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Thank you all re Hudson.

jlynne, although you didn't win the dinner, good job in the race.  1:04 in your AG is a darned good time.

Twocat, that is an excellent modification suggestion re posting from phone.  I hope you let the site owner hear your point of view. He does a good job and deserves to hear good advice on what the users want.

How my wife and I can work together to mess things up I have no idea. At the last minute we decided to go to the ballgame, so I asked her to check the forecast for rain.  She said, "There's no rain in the forecast, so we're good."  So I said, "In that case, I'll get us seats under the overhang of the next higher tier so we'll be out of the sun since it's a day game."

Well, you can guess what happened. I bought us seats way closer to the field than I thought they would be, so while the view was great, we were out in the blazing sun. But wait, there's more!  Then it rained like hell and we had no cover at all.  We laughed about this all the way home and saw the last two innings after the rain delay on TV. Rangers won big.

Ten miles for me today and nine for her at the park. Leaving for Cleveland in the morning.   Spareribs