Masters Running

Merry Christmas Day Runs - December 25th, 2007 (Read 730 times)

OK.....Brag time... The weather is perfect today for running, so with 10 miles left on my goal to reach 1,000 miles for the year, I headed out to "finish business". I chose to go to the local Ten Miler Race route that I run in every September. It was at the finish line there that I ran my first mile back in 2003. It felt fitting to now cross the same line to complete my 1,000th mile for the year. It was fun finishing off the run wearing a Santa's hat. I had the goal for the whole year but after 9 months was 400 miles short. November was a difficult month to make up miles because of tapering before and after my Richmond Marathon. Never-the-less, I have completed it and will now be able to back off from running this last week of the year....something I feel like I need. I am supposed to be visiting a friend over New Year's and was worried that my goal would come down to needing mileage that last day. Just to be sure I asked....."Do you have a treadmill?" While the answer was "Yes", I now can simply enjoy the company. It is great to see more friends checking into our thread here.......henrun and marge, vkay, tselbs (now I KNOW everything will be alright), RunsTheBitteroot, Millbot, and hailllar (sorry about the potatoes...opps).
    Vista
    dg.

Hi everybody. Stevep, "serenity & happy feet". I like that. can I borrow it? I hope that for you too. Hobbes, good boy! hi Runner67. TomS, Roy, Aamos, Larry, I'm happy you're here. Larry, tell Kay wtg!! happy too about the people I don't know, yet. henrun, you & Marge continue to inspire me. Eliz, congrats on your run. be careful, now. Liz, me too. congratulations! I hope you get good news from your PF tomorrow. SR, that's a nice story about your son, it's nice it meant so much to him. yay bap :-). Teresadfp, ouch! I did exactly the same thing last year. Twice. hope you're not too sore. hi milling bot! Vista, congratulations. that must feel great. (greta) Little bit on the TM for me.
        Merry Christmas to all my Cool Friends here at Running Ahead! I too, think that this is my first post on a daily thread here. Glad to see that Tom is here, and I am looking forward to learning the new names and adding more people to my little spreadsheet! Vista, thanks for your well written message, ditto that for me. I’m sure Tallrunner has a gut-wrenching post about what all you mean to him … ditto that for me too. …. I appreciate the friendship and camaraderie here soooo……. Much! Our Christmas Eve service last night was just so special to me, the music, the drama, the hope, the message. We Come, We Behold, We Adore, We Proclaim! The Good News that a Saviour has come to earth for us all. After many days of baking and preparing food, the families all left this morning and I miss them, but finally have time for myself. I haven’t run outside since November 25th, so laced up the shoes, and layered up for a run around the lake. Gentle snowflakes falling, mcsolarmix10 (the belly-dancing one, thanks, mc!) for tunes, warm temp at 29 made it seem actually warm. Once I got going, I think one layer and a vest would have sufficed. I enjoyed the time alone and didn’t have to stop at all! 4.89 miles in 58:35 so met my goal of under an hour. (DH knows to come looking for me after that, ha!) Ribs - we had Prime Rib again yesterday, but I conviced DH to take it out of the plastic wrap before baking. It wasn't my favorite, but at least wasn't over done. They must add alot of salt to those packaged roasts sold to restaurants. Some day I'm going to buy a real one with the bones and all and show hime how to properly cook it! I think my garlic mashed potatoes and Ultimate Spinach Salad were a hit though. I gotta go back and re-read this thred since I missed that Aamos is here too, HI AMY!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

seemomgo

Merry Christmas all!!! Tselb - glad you come on board!! We were due for a dusting of snow today - and lo and behold we have over a foot!!! Needless to say I cross trained with lots of shoveling of the driveway...plus others drives as a merry christmas to them! Mom is still in the hospital - not a lot of news about what is going on - other than she is pretty doped up on pain killers. Ick. PDR got dangly earrings...I got a kitchen timer and a footpod for my garmin on the treadmill....hmmmmm. Does this mean she's pretty and I need to cook more and then run it off????? Love and Peace to all on this glorious day!! C-mom
          Tramps

OK.....Brag time... The weather is perfect today for running, so with 10 miles left on my goal to reach 1,000 miles for the year, I headed out to "finish business".
            Brag on, buddy! Congratulations!

Be safe. Be kind.

Merry Christmas everyone! My son had a tooth fall out about 5 days ago. Being a budding young scientist, he decided to wait until Christmas eve to put the tooth under his pillow. He wanted to know if the Tooth Fairy would visit on Christmas eve and if this would adversely affect the outcome on Christmas morning. He was actually a bit nervous about the experiment (he still believes in Santa, however, I wonder how much of that is denial - he is 7). My husband warned him that the Tooth Fairy and Santa might arrive at the house at the same time, fall in love and run off together, forgetting their duties and disappointing children all over the world. Not to mention how devistated Mrs. Claus would be. He woke up today to find a candy cane where his tooth was, and tooth money in his stocking. I guess their magic did get a little mixed up last night. Smile I got out for a quiet 5K run, and finished just as the first drop of rain fell. It soon turned to sleet, back to rain, and is now big chunky flakes of snow. Snow on Christmas day always feels right to me. I forgot to bring my Garmin, and was very pleased after my initial disappointment. It liberated me to run by feel, and not worry that I might be going much slower than my perceived effort (which can be discouraging). It felt very sproinky, and luckily I don't have the data to deny my level of sproinkitude. My husband finds it odd that I want to run on Christmas day, but he is not a runner. My new thorlo socks are heavenly, thanks Santa!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

.......CONGRATULATONS VISTA//........nice running....... ....am currently back after 2-days of driving.......and got a cold to whip, but the Hip feels great, and hoping to hit the streets Thurs..... .......good running to the rest of ya........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

Merry Christmas to all my virtual boomer friends! You have all been such a source of inspiration to me over the last couple of years. No running for me today - its 14 degrees and its been snowing all day. What a beautiful white Christmas!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

A special gift for me, Kay was able to go skiing with me this weekend, couldn't get her on the lift, but she did try a few times and spent the rest of the day at the lodge with friends, probably her best day so far. She wants to go again and perhaps soon I can get her on the lift. Larry
                    Oh Larry – that is SO good to hear! TomS – hello! Vkay – I’d love to see a picture of your puppy. Hally – maybe we can start a pet thread here. Just as soon as we figure out how to post pics. Is it the same as old CR, where you can use flikr.com? BAP – good run today! Vista – congratulations on your 1000! Enkephalin - Smile It wasn't that I ate HUGE amounts of food today, just that the food I DID eat was HUGELY FATTENING and rich. I feel like a blimp. My eating has surpassed my running in recent weeks, and I'm feeling the results. Time to get back to reasonable eating again, before they roll me away. Smile Back to work tomorrow. Sad

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hill Runner

Hi Everyone, No run for me today but I wanted to stop in and wish everyone a Merry Christmas. Peace to all...

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

OK.....Brag time...
                        BRAVO! Congratulations on your 1,000th mile for 2007. Very cool that you did it where you first started running. Well done! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

anachrotech

This will be my first post on RunningAhead. I want to wish a Merry Christmas to all my "imaginary" friends. I hope everyone has a great Christmas with family and/or friends. We celebrated yesterday with our daughter, son, son's fiance, my mother, and my wife's father. Today, we will take it easy while our son visits his fiance's family and my father in law visits with one of my wife's brother. We have a lot to be thankful for. TomS
                          Yah, Tom's here ! Welcome and I hope you post here often. Smile Yes, there is alot to be thankful for. Tom, have you ever run in the Martian Marathon or half in Dearborn?
                            OK.....Brag time....
                            1000.1 -- well done, Vista!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Merry Christmas to all... Hope you have had a wonderful day.. No running for me today....since I am celebrating Christmas in Dallas... Tim, Ardmore, OK.

GreenMan

Wooohooooo Vista, Rauk on buddy! Ground out 22, with enough stretch and pee breaks to wear out the pause button on the Garmin practically. Finally I had to take some IBU at mile 13 to get the run finished. By mile 18 I was pushing the pace up and got the last half mile in at my 10K pace. Ice Bath (PPPSSSSSssssssssssssssss) followed. And heavy eating. Visited some friends and I am turning in soon. Happy Feast of the Nativity JJJ
                                Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.