Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 2.26.15 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I'm sorry I haven't been posting, but I haven't been workout either, due to too-narrow, snow-covered roads. But the most of the roads are reasonably clear now, and the snowbanks have melted just enough to enable me to feel more comfortable out there. However, on a couple a' roads, I just scooted to the other side when I heard a car coming so as to make sure no collisions occurred. So 4.5 RW miles at J o'clock this morning. I can't tell you (and maybe I don't have to) how good it felt to be back out on the roads after almost 2 weeks off!

About a month ago, I signed up for a 10-miler on March 7 in Salem, MA. A couple of days ago, they canceled/postponed the race because of their snowbanks and too-narrow streets. Bummer. But it'll be interesting to see if they reschedule it.

Keep smiling, and have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

..The Snow

looks so lovely as it coats the roads and trees,

I think I'll wander out into it

and

enter a Magical Fairy Land of Wonder

don't come looking for me

I may be gone a while..........

La-La-La-La-la

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - you know you don't have to work out to post here.  We are always happy to chat about whatever....

TomWhite - it does look lovely when it is new, doesn't it?  I expect you don't get a lot of snow down there.

This week has been tryouts for the softball team for DD, and she made the team, we just don't know if it's the A team or the B team.  Back to busy-every-night after only a week off.....

4.7 miles for me on the TM, weights and core tonight.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mustang sally

Bad faerie

I had a pair of great workouts yesterday - a morning swim and an evening ride - bracketing a Very Difficult Day in the office.  As you all know, the workouts made the Very Difficult Day quite manageable.

Then I came home to discover that I've been admitted into a Master's program I'd applied to and that was Very Good.

Spent the night spinning over the cost and workload aspects now that it's becoming real, but that's a good problem to have.

Will run this afternoon almost certainly on the treadmill, as it's still quite chilly outside.

Tammy, you are cooking.  Those intervals were impressive!

TomWhite - it does look lovely when it is new, doesn't it?  I expect you don't get a lot of snow down there.

...actually

I was quoting from the Last Words of a member of The Scott Antarctic Expedition who froze to death....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

Carolyn, I'm not sure why Coach gives me the same pace - that may be lack of coaching experience on his part, but I'm almost always pushing myself to go faster than he says anyways and definitely run my 400's at a quicker pace than I would on an 800 or 1000.  He did tell the other day to enjoy the 1/2 mi w/u & c/d while I have it because soon he'll be bumping me up to 1 mi w/u & c/d and mile repeats. 

5 miles at easy pace last night. Rest day today.

Tammy

Dave59

(I am not really upset with work, it is just that they are doing really stupid stuff.)

I have had a sore back for decades and then this year I strained my hip on an exercise machine at the gym.  Since my hips seemed to be getting worse and my low-back has always been a problem, I started see a chiropractor a few weeks ago.

I found out I have a curved spine and very tight muscles on the left side of my back which added to problems with my right hip.

I've been seeing him twice a week and also doing all the exercises and foam rolling he asked me to do. I really felt a difference out there on my 5 mile run this morning.  I have a lot more flexibility in my hips and my run was (close to) great.  I felt like a real runner and not someone struggling to make my feet go forward.

I am too old to easily correct my spine.  He said he will do what he can, and then it's up to me to stretch,foam roll, and strengthen my hips and back.  He said he knows of chiropractic practice in Las Vegas that has had success with fixing curved spines in older people.  But it sounds like it would take a long time and cost a lot of money.

King of PhotoShop

An easy day for me workwise, but a fun one run-wise.  It's mid-30's and very windy out, so the Saint and I did 5 miles at the Park, then I went to the Y to stretch.

I have an afternoon of conference calls to make but they are relatively simple to do.

Tomorrow Hudson and I will fly down to San Antonio and stay overnight. On Saturday he will spend all day at Trinity University down there and I will likely run and read while I wait for him. He's competing with about a hundred other kids for a full-ride scholarship, which if he gets it would give us a problem as we are quite excited about the U. of Texas offer.  But we said at the beginning of this that we would wait til all the interviews and stuff are finished before deciding anything.  Fun times.  Spareribs

Mike E

MM #5615

Carolyn, I'm not sure why Coach gives me the same pace - that may be lack of coaching experience on his part

The Hansons' plan does the same thing.  I know there is a reason....I just can't remember it.

tomwhite--thanks for the daily laugh...you, too, Dave.

I hope to get out and run today.  I cannot believe it is another frigid day with snow dropping out of the sky!  Somebody make it end, make it end . . .

In other news, I went to one of my favorite annual events: Whiskey Live.  It is a show where about 50 or so distillers show up and you can sample their wares.  It is a great way to try out any number of whiskeys.  My friends and I stay upright with just a couple of rules.  Rule 1 is take a sip.  If you do not like it, toss it.  There are buckets all over for disposing of excess whiskey.  Rule 2 is do not drink anything you are familiar with.  We do break rule 2 a little, if there is a particular whiskey we just love.  But it has to be exceptional.  I think I broke it once all night and then it was for a whiskey I know but cannot get locally.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Oh, by the way Twocat, have one of those whiskies on me since today is your birthday!   Spareribs

evanflein

Happy birthday, Twocat!

Congrats on the master's program acceptance, Sal! I'm sure you'll pull off all the logistics to get it done and you'll do well.

tomwhite, just be sure to close the door behind you....

Dave, when I had my sciatica attack years ago, my doc told me most runners end up with back issues of some sort or the other because most neglect their core. I try to do much better in that regard, but have been slacking this past year. Good reminder to keep at it, and it's so much more than crunches (which my doc says don't bother, there are so many better exercises to do!).

Holly, such is the life of the mother of a go-getter kid. Good for her for being so into everything!

Nice to get back on the roads, Jay. I can't wait till our (new) ice is gone. I think we'll have it until April though.

Colder today, and while the plows have been out to re-do the bad job they did the other day, it's still damn icy out. In the interest of time, I'll go home and either run on the TM or run hills. We're going to do a meatloaf out on the charcoal grill, and DH has a B-ball game he wants to watch (go AZ Wildcats!) so a run at or from home works best.

We were on the wait list for a formal gala event tomorrow night, and found out we got in! So... while it will be fun, I'll have to figure out if I run tomorrow earlier in the day or take a rest day. As it is, we'll need to bring a change of clothes and go right from work since it starts at 6. It's been years since we've gone to anything like this....

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Birthday Twocat!

Mustang Sally - Congratulations!

Erika - that sounds like fun!  However, what do you wear to a gala event in the wintertime in Alaska?  Do people still wear heels when it is (-32) outside?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MS, congrats on being admitted into the masters program.  tomw, happy birthday.  Holly, when our kids were in school, they were involved in a lot of things.  There were weeks we had something going every night.  Even though the logistics were sometimes difficult and it sometimes got stressful and tiring, we encouraged it.  Now that they are grown and we've recovered, we are especially glad they were involved.  wild, nice 14 miles.

This morning, it was another cold one and another TM run.  It was 5 miles at a 10:35 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai

What??? we had a birthday boy around here and no birthday cake???

Happy Birthday Twocat! Glad you had a pre-birthday celebration.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard