Masters Running

OKC Memorial Marthon A Run To Remember (Read 312 times)

As I posted the other day, here were my goals: 1. fininsh injury free 2. finish strong 3. 4:30 just because it's a nice round number (as far as time goes) 4. 4:25 just because it's in the middle. 5 4:20 evryday on crack goal 6 negative split I didn't list have fun, enjoy the experience, see the beauty, all those other very important goals....for me, those are givens. No matter what the results are I will always meet those goals. I began training for this race over 2 years ago. I started out by training for and running the OKC Memorial Half in 2006. What a great experience for me...my first half marathon. So I decided to up the ante and run the full OKCMM in 2007. I picked a training plan, found coolrunning.com and started out. I did the training, registered, and trained up to the day with the taper...but had to work on the weekend of the race. Instead of finding another marathon to do, I wanted OKC to be my first. I decided to train for the OKCMM 08. It was a little disappointing doing the training and building up emotionally in 07 then not being able to run, but I realized there was a better plan in place for me. I took that opportunity to increase my base, slow down my training pace and increase miles per week. Also what proved to be invaluable was the collective wisdom, support and encouragement from the fine Master/Boomers at CR and now RA. So now the day (or weekend) is at hand. Saturday, the day before the race...first stop in OKC is the expo. Along with DW and her mother, we did the expo. I got the race poster signed by Bill Rogers, Dick Beardsley and Shannon Miller. You may remember Olympic gold medal gymnist Shannon from the Olympics several years back. She is a local Oklahoman and led the "kids marathon". The kids pledge and log their runs...1 mile for 25 days prior to the race. Then run the last 1.2 miles at the event to complete their "marathon". With absolutely beautiful weather, we then went across the street to the Arts Festival. I knew to stay in the shade and off my feet as much as possible....did that. Here's a pic of some cool lawn art. Later Saturday evening, we met brother in law and sister in law at Olive Garden for some pasta. Really great time visiting and enjoying the meal. As we were leaving we ran into (well actually we just saw and talked) some running friends from home. Chatted a bit then on our way. Got to bed about 9:00 pm. Got up about 4:00 ate my required bowl of cereal, banana, and a cup of coffee. The weather had turned to a beautiful 40 something with rain and wind. We commented on how the change in weather will play into my favor as we drove to the race. Big grin Big grin I've trained in the cold, the rain, and the wind....so it's no problem. But when I get to the starting line, it's still dark(6:30 am). I've NOT trained in the dark....carp what'll I do now?! Shocked Here's the start...that's me right there. Anyway, let's get this thing going. Just before the start the rain quit, the wind stayed brisk and the temps stayed cool. We were off and before long the darkness went away somewhere. In my mind, I know not to get caught up in the start, I know that better than many...I've paid the price in shorter races back when I was young and stupid (er). My plan was 10:15 mpm until 18 or 20, then reassess the strategy at that point. But caught up I got and before I knew it we were at mile 3 and I hit the split on my watch 28:39. Now a quick bit of math...divide by 3... carry the 9... convert to decimal... convert back to seconds...well nevermind, it's somewhere below 10 min/mile. So I slow down. I remember Mariposai saying "Let the race come to you." The miles fly by and I'm continually telling myself to slow down. I'm feeling really good, but I'm afraid I'll pay for it later on. My wife, her brother and mother support crew are to meet me about mile 14 with a refreshing banana and some gu. Here's a pic of me and my brother in law support crew manager making the exchange. evryday going so fast that he looks like a blur About mile 14 we get the wind to our back...feels great! At around 17 I'm just now starting to find my "bubble." I start feeling euphoric, even a bit giddy. All through the race I have been taking CNYs advice and smiling. But now the smile is ear to ear Big grin and I'm even laughing out loud. What a feeling! At 18 I still feel good, (I've been forcing myself to slow down so I'd have some stuff left). I begin to pick it up some. I again meet up with my family at 23 for another banana and some encouragement. Wall?...I can't see no wall....aint no stinkin' wall... Shocked As I approach the finish I see the clock 4:19:40....I pick it up more....4:19:50....can I do it?....4:19:55..58...59...4:20:00...carp! I hit the finish line at 4:20:06 gun time. All you marathoners have felt the feeling, I'm sure. Just incredible! Met a couple of my running buddies after the race. They both finished around 3:58:00 guntime 4:20:06 chip time 4:19:12. I'm very please with the race. My pacing was all over the place, but now that I have a sense of what I can sustain over the distance, I'll begin working on eveing the pace out. Also, I think I met or at least got real close to all the goals. This means one thing....the goals may have been a bit relaxed. But I really didn't know what to expect. Here are the mile splits: 1-3 28:39 I got caught up in the moment and forgot to split the miles. 4...9:53 5...9:36 6...9:51 7...9:57 8...9:48 9...10:09 10..11:01 had to pee 11..10:03 12..9:49 13..10:05 14..10:12 15..10:35 16..9:56 17..10:09 18..11:33 had to pee and thought I'd never stop (perhaps a bit overhydrated) 19..9:46 20..9:13 21..9:27 22..9:31 23..9:28 24..9:34 25..9:52 struggling a bit 26..9:06 can't describe the feeling 26.2...1:50 Thanks to all.
    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
    TomD

Great first marathon. I liked to way you picked it up some after Mile 18 and finished strong. So many runners do not do so well the final 6.2 miles and you did. Good Luck to you in your next marathon. TomD

Head Procrastinator

Great report and great first marathon! Can't believe you A:worked instead of running the first one and B:waited a whole year after training so hard. But it probably in the long run paid off bigtime. Congrats, loved the pictures! Barb
        ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
          Big Congrats!! That is faster than a 10:15 pace.... Sounds like you had a smile for every mile. Nice job and aren't you glad you didn't have to work again this weekend? I read this with great interest as my first is in one week and we are close to the same speed. I won't be doing 4:19 though, nope.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, great first marathon, great pictures, great report! You totally ran the plan. Very impressive.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Fabulous Evryday! I was so excited for you in this your first (of many? Wink) marathon! Check out that smile too! They don't call me Cheshire Cat for nothing and I pass that title on to you now. Big grin I also liked your comment about pacing. Doing this the first time does give you a gauge for future planning. Congratulations! Savor this now and keep celebrating! Great work. Karin/CNY
                I got laughing reading your report when you talked about laughing out loud. I have been there and done that. I think the realization of a dream that you have worked hard to achieve, suddenly releases and this euphoria comes over you. That was a GREAT race. You never met the wall, you increased your pace near the end and certainly met your time goals. Thanks for this great report. I am happy for you. CONGRATULATIONS MARATHONER !
                Vista
                  Congratulations on a very nice intro to the marathon experience. You had a plan and executed it well, as borne out by the fact that you enjoyed every bit of it. Great job! Now get some rest and bask in the glory of your accomplishment.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

evanflein

Wow, you beat your "Evryday on Crack" goal! How sweet is that? Congratulations on an excellent first marathon, and I loved how you were enjoying every minute. And look at those paces in your last 10 miles!! Wow, very well done. (Just think... you figure how to "unhydrate" before the race starts and you'll save a couple minutes right there!) Thanks for the photos... I love RR's with pictures!
                      woooooohoooooooo!! awesome first marathon!! i'm sure there will be many more judging by how well you ran this one and how much you enjoyed it! CONGRATULATIONS!!

denise

Wow Awesome first marathoon and great pics. You did fantastic for your first one and finished really strong so shows promise for the next ones (right)... Rest up before traiining again...you deserve it Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

King of PhotoShop

Your most significant sentence in your report: "I took that opportunity to increase my base, slow down my training pace and increase miles per week." This is what helped make your experience enjoyable and gave you strength at the end. You have learned a lot. We're all so happy for you. Spareribs
                          Mariposai

Yeah!!!!!! you did it. Congratulations marathoner. You must feel so good today. Cool Cool You are so cool in accomplishing your "Evryday on crack goal": 4:20 evryday on crack goal Please REST now and enjoy the VICTORY(oh...where is the dancing banana when you need it?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

pfriese

everyday, An amazing first marathon for you. Congrats on a well-prepared for race and for a well-run race. Paul
                              TammyinGP

I want to run like you when I do my first marathon! I would be thrilled with that time - and you even got in two potty breaks!! Congratulations, you ran a great race!

Tammy