Masters Running

Friday, 6.26.15 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

DW is leaving this morning for a long weekend in FL with a recently-widowed friend. I have a small 5K in Biddeford, ME tomorrow morning, with a yard-work chaser. On Sunday, I'm volunteering at a new half marathon in Stratham, NH. We also have a racewalking training session scheduled for that morning, but it looks like it'll be rained out.

4.7 easy RW miles this morning in 60F temps and under overcast, pre-rain skies.

Good luck to everyone racing at Charlevoix and elsewhere this weekend:

06/25 evanflein - Jim Loftus Mile Race

06/27-28 Fatozzig - Double FatAss 50k, Humboldt Co, CA

06/27 wildchild - North Fork 50k, Pine, CO

06/27 Ileneforward - Pirate's Rum Run 5K, LB CA

06/28 Ileneforward - Disco Fever 5K, LB CA

06/28 Opie - Mission Valley Duathlon, Socorro, TX

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Boy, Jay, you really know how to do up a bachelor's weekend.

FArtlek Friday for me.  5 of them in 4 miles.  I'll be interested in seeing what pace I managed.  Mine was also pre-rain.  However, one of the guys in the office was not so lucky--he started out in cloudy weather on his motorcycle and was walking around in squishy shoes when i got in.

Happy weekend to everyone.  Even though that's probably not necessary for the MI group.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Mike E., that was a great workout, and all those extra 800's are also stamina builders, even the ones off-pace for you.  So are the tenK races you are doing.  The trick to building stamina is lowering the pH of arterial blood, and to achieve that you have to run at speed for quite some time, not all out speed, but speed.  Good job.

We haven't raced in such a long time that we've gotten almost afraid to try one, as our times will be slow, but that's no way to think about it. We have to start somewhere, so tomorrow we'll drive up to Plano and run a club 5k race there. We expect to suck but it will be a good starting benchmark for the summer.

And good luck to all the other racers this weekend, and especially those who are running Charlemagne.  Spareribs

lamerunner

Well I am behind. I hope everyone is ok.  I see some good running has been going on. I am still alive.  DD was home visiting for a week or so, and it was great fun to see her.  DS and I hiked with her last Wednesday; she was spending a few days up north with her RMC friends. We hiked up Mt. Adams, then part way across the ridge and down a meandering route on RMC paths.  She is now in Juneau, hiking toward the icefield with the JIRP folks.

Since then, it has been quite a week.  Last Thursday morning, the day after all that hiking without a scratch on me, I tripped running on a mostly flat trail on which I run often.  I tripped on one rock and landed squarely on my left arm on another rock, slicing it almost to the bone.  I was probably 2.7 miles or so from my car, on the way back.  No injuries to my legs or anywhere else.  I ran back to the car, got cleaned up and went to the ER, sporting gauze with pink duck  tape.  The ER doc cleaned it up but wanted the orthopedic doc to look at it because it was so deep, so after several hours, the ortho guy cleaned it and stitched it up.  He is a runner too and former ski racer, so at least we had a nice chat.

I ran on the weekend, even returned to the trail, but did not feel great. By Sunday, the elbow of the injured arm was red, swollen, hot etc. so back to the ER I went. The injury is very near my left elbow and the bursa was involved.  After they unwrapped the dressing it became apparent my whole arm was red.  Not good. So I was admitted and spent a couple of days on I.V. antibiotics, plus a surgical irrigation/drain procedure. I finally got out of there on Tuesday.  I am on the mend now but not quite full power yet. I walked Tuesday afternoon, did yoga Wednesday and finally ran yesterday. I did 6.5 miles but without much sproink.  This morning I just could not get up in time and still did not feel like running at lunch, so I guess I am bagging it.  Healing takes some energy it seems.  DS is off at camp as a CIT.  Last I heard, he was learning Wilderness First Aid.  Probably a  good idea.

So, pick up yer feet!  that is the moral of my tale.  I am hoping to hike and run this weekend.  Swimming is out until I get the stitches removed.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

.  DS is off at camp as a CIT.  Last I heard, he was learning Wilderness First Aid.  Probably a  good idea.

So, pick up yer feet!  that is the moral of my tale.  I am hoping to hike and run this weekend.  Swimming is out until I get the stitches removed.

Just a little late.    Heal well--that does not sound like fun.

Henrun

lame , so sorry to hear what you went through. Heal well. Since my running gait is much like a race walk I decided a long time ago to not run trails after I bloodied my arm on a flat trail. If there's a rock there I'll find it. Of course there are other hazards on the road, but I'll take those chances.

mrrun

((Lamerunner)) - let yourself heal!

Jay - my DD is running the Stratham half if it's not bucketing.  But she won't pick up her number until Sunday, so thanks for helping!

Ribs - don't overthink it - perhaps a fun race if that's possible?  Stumpy - nice workout.

MI folk- enjoy and happy racing

spent about 5 hours in the zoo.  On the way home, she asked what were we going to do so I decided on a really short bike ride.  However, she just hit the bed, so I'm hoping she'll stay there for an hour as I'm exhausted also.

Good luck to racers!

marj

wildchild

Carolyn

Lame, that sounds like quite a week you've had!  My DH also was recently in the hospital overnight for IV antibiotics, but his was just from a splinter in his finger.  He had a red streak all the way up his arm the morning after he got the splinter!    Yours sounds like it took several days for the infection to develop.  Hope you're feeling better soon.

Rest day here - racing tomorrow.  I'm still debating whether to run or volunteer at that 50 mile race in two weeks - I'll decide after tomorrow's race, depending on how it goes.  Registration closes tomorrow night so I'm cutting it close!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

I've been hanging in here, getting in around 30 miles a week and slowly building the LRs and some speedwork towards Chicago.  As much as I hate intervals, I know they are helping.  Nailed 4X 1K and 4X 200m repeats yesterday and felt pretty badass after getting it done.

This weekend I'll be glued to the Western States info, as I have two friends running it.   One woman, who's finished Badwater twice, is doing the ultra grand slam this year..... at age 56.

OK, maybe I shouldn't really feel that badass after all....... 

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Mariposai

They came, the brought sunshine to our lives and now they are gone !

Having the Twocats for a week was so much fun to say the least. The laughter, the conversations, the runs, the dusty trails we hiked to enjoy the peaks beyond the peaks  and the moments shared together will be now stored away in our treasured memory banks. They just left our house and we are already missing them.

Hemeracolus, great job with your bodass intervals today, Stumpy, look at you with those fartlekts!

Spareribs, good luck to you and the Saint with the race tomorrow. Having a benchmark is always good.

Wildchild, good luck to you too in your race tomorrow. I hope you have a good weather.

Jaywalker, you are so lucky to have so many races around your area. Enjoy being single and don't overdo the yardwork.

Running, Mrs. Twocat and I ran 4 easy miles today while The Steady Pacer and Twocat ran together.

It supposed to be very, very hot around here this weekend, so I don't anticipated running long at all, but we will see.

Cheers to the racers!

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey folks!  We are having a great time in Charlevoix, but I am such a poor typist on this laptop that I won't go into many details.  Suffice to say that it is a beautiful day in Michigan and we all collected Petowskey stones at the shore, stuffed ourselves on Steve's pulled pork, and shared ice cream with Tag.  BTW, Tag is much bigger than I realized, and even better looking in  real life.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Was that Tag or Steve that you were refering to?

wildchild

Carolyn

Here's  a picture of the Charlevoix gang, copied from FB!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

mrrun

LIKE (I don't know how to enlarge the size or I would)!!!!!!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Nice anniversary photo mikeE.

I always wondered why she married you.

Now I know. Quite the stud.

nice five-hour zooathon marj.

I've done a few myself.

Every serious trail plant deserves a photo,

especially since it sounds as good, if not better than, enke's shin.

More than a month of sunshine almost trapped me into a third consecutive four-mile training run this morning but, with it already 64-degrees at 6am and the lake already into the seventies a month or so early, first swim of the year was on my own instead of waiting for the water to warm up an annual triathlon in August now that I only do once a year.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)