Masters Running

Weekly Newbies (Read 428 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Laurie--sorry, guess I mised that. PE = Professional Engineer. I happen to be electrical. It's a very painful process of proving that you have enough experience just to take the exam. and then after paying about 1/2 dozen different fees, you get to sit for 2 4 hour sections of questions you've never heard of. flet completely drained afterwards. Now I just have to wait 10-12 weeks to find out how well I guessed on the questions I didn't have a clue on.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Me

Greetings everyone, Kevin, I was thinking it involved climbing a rope in gym class while all your classmates made fun of you. Of course it couldn't be that easy. 4 miles for me this morning. Cheers, Mike
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yep, it's a long time to find out if you passed! When I took the test for structural engineers, it was actually a civil/structural exam, so there were questions about drainage, road design, etc. I never took a single civil course, so I had to learn it from scratch! It turns out that the civil stuff is easier than the structural, so I answered more of the civil questions - I think that's why I passed the first time! I found out I passed the exam on a Monday, and then DH and I got laid off by our company on that Friday. Whoo hoo! Dead
        stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Jeez--I suck at that. too. At least the humiliation is a little more private Wink

dg.

just a quick hi. Kevin, I'd suck at both too. we can start our own club. Linda, I'm so sorry about your dad. I missed the original post about it.... my youngest brother isn't doing well either. he's 43, in kidney failure, has very limited vision, & can't tell anymore if his blood sugar is dropping (he 'feels fine' if it's 50), etc. so it's very scary. this disease is terrible. I'm glad you are going to get to go see your dad. If it seems like it would mean anything, send my best wishes & give him a hug for me. I'm glad at least your running is doing well. roberta, take good care of yourself! Teresa, belated congrats on your 5K. laurie, glad you're doing better. Eliz, you're doing great. woohoo on your 7 miler! you're being careful, yes? Hi Mike. sorry, I know I've missed lots of things here. oh yeah. i've been doing ok, Sunday was 10 miles, but i'm going to cut back a bit. assorted pains (shin splints & piriformis) are getting worse instead of better, and on top of that i twisted my foot Sunday. Roll eyes. I'm thinking just a little schedule tweaking, then all will be good. yes? good plan? oh thanks. Wink.
            lswife

Laurie - as I understand it, if a person's blood glucose (sugar) goes high for a little while, a little damage is done to those tiny blood vessels. Over time (years?) with high blood glucose, damage will begin showing up. Unfortunately, it's thought that a person can be diabetic for 2-5 years before it's diagnosed; so damage can be accumulating while the person is unaware. I have a blood glucose kit (small, like a package of Kraft's American cheese slices) which I test my blood with, 2 hours after a meal. The number should be 160 or lower. If it's over 160, I can usually trace it back to something I ate - one dinner roll, a glass of sweet tea, a biscuit, gravy, too much corn on the cob, etc. Once recently my DH and I had the exact same thing, and he wanted to have his blood tested when I checked mine. His - a nice 108, which indicates his pancreas is taking care of the sugars in food (we both had salad and bean soup for lunch at a nicer restaurant in Indy). Mine - 182 - the roll coming with the salad did it. Food isn't the only thing which raises blood glucose - not sleeping well (ha, which is normal for me, being a post-menopausal woman), stress, antibiotics for other things, etc. Unfortunately, I don't know of any medication which can bring down a high # quickly. Exercise, even a long walk, can help over the next 24 hours. Since I found that I like running, that will do it for me, as well as making me feel more positive about everything. dg - As long as I take care of myself (exercise, eating low-carb, taking my meds), I don't think my life expectancy will be shortened. . . but I don't know. And D is such a weird chronic disease. Some things work for me (protein for breakfast, protein at every meal) now; others for other diabetics. And there are no guarantees that what works for me today will work next year. If I keep my carbs to under 30 per meal, I can usually see good #s two hours later. dwlz.com has a list of restaurants and food info (calories, fat, carbs, Weight Watcher points) which is invaluable when I eat out. sorry to turn this into a diabetic thread - if any of you have been told you are of high risk, do something now while you still have a chance to reverse it; but once you've been diagnosed, you'll always be a diabetic. Maybe you'll be able to control it and not have problems/complications; maybe you won't. As Linda has experienced, if you don't have diabetes but watch a family member struggle fight it, it's especially cruel. Roberta
                I am surrounded by brainiacs here. Engineers, teachers, nuclear physicists and little me. Roberta, dont appologize. Its all part of running and I like knowing what the disease is about. I never really knew it was so serious. I always thought it was merely an annoyance. Boy was I wrong. The club's fall running clinic ended yesterday with all the women running 30 mins and some of them running strong. We started them out at a few minutes walk and a few minutes run. Now they are all runners. My gals have all graduated. Smile I am so proud of them. I made them homemade energy bars that they loved. We ran the 30 minutes in light rain and cold temps with wind. A few of us are going to keep running the park on Tues evenings. It might become a club thing. I hope so. If not I have to wait until the spring clinic. So 30 mins of running yesterday for me. Asthma acting up but that is because of the rain and cold. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Hey, Laurie - I'm such a bandwagon Phillies fan this year (after a lifetime of earlier heartache!), I just found out yesterday that one of the players' is nicknamed Flying Hawaiian. You need to talk to Shane Vittorino about stealing your handle! On the other hand, you might like a "Flyin' Hawaiian" t-shirt?!?!? Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Rindaroo

Debbie - so sorry about your brother Sad yes that is very scary. I know that my dad's blood sugar tends to go really low at night, does your brother have that problem? Sorry about your ankle... take it easy, ok? Somehow I think we are in synch, not always in a good way - I did something to my foot, actually think its a bruised tendon (from DD jumping on my foot on accident).. it hurt a little last week, but I was still running, but yesterday OMG couldn't even walk, as in at work, around the house.. so took a heavy duty inflam & I sure hope that helps. Laurie - yay on the graduation of your girls! Oh exciting & fun Smile Roberta - It sounds like you are doing well with Diabetes. They say & I have seen it with others, that Type 2 can be totally controllable with diet & exercise. Are you taking any insulin? or are you able to do this with diet & exercise.. Unfortunately Type 1 is not that nice to you, in fact blood sugars at 180 would be great for my dad. He is typically more in the 200-400 range, its when it gets to 500 that its really scary. My dad wears a pump now & it still uncontrollable.. When he was younger, they thought they only needed 1 insulin shot a day, but he was always extremely active - played tennis most days, also in tournaments, took us skiing, hiking etc. So, the exercise part is really important. Anyway, if you are able to keep your blood sugar in the 100's the damage will be to a minimum. It is when its very high (like my dad) that over time there are problems with organs, eyes, circulation of blood, etc. He does watch his diet too, but it doesn't help him nearly as much as it would for a Type 2 diabetic. But, really the only reason he has made it this far, is because he has been very diligent about watching his diet, his insulin, and taking good care of this hands & feet. Diabetes was always scary for me from the time as a young kid my dad had insulin reactions when he was driving (with only 2 little kids in the car, since he was divorced & it was "his" weekend), to watching him go through all the side effects starting when I was about in college... that would be about 18 years after he was diagnosed and about 24 years ago. He had a LOT of good years before he got to this point. So be diligent, but enjoy & live your life as fully as you can. No running for me, since I can barely walk...... hoping the anti-inflamss work wonders on my foot.
                    lswife

Linda - thanks for the info about type 1 - now I know more about that side of this disease and how it does differ from type 2. Oh, wow - my 180 would be low for your dad and other type 1's? Yikes. When I was first diagnosed and given directions about low-carb eating and regular exercise by my doctor (herself a marathoner), I diligently followed every step for 3 months until my next A1c (do type 1's have that kind of blood test?). I lost weight, my cholesterol and other numbers all were great, but my A1c only came down a tenth of a point. That's when the doctor said that something else in my body was keeping the glucose up, and I was put on metformin, oral tablets, 500mg once a day. That brought the A1c down to a "high normal" normal, but not low enough to please the doctor, who upped the metformin to 1000mg a day, 2 tablets at supper. I have these A1c tests every 3 months to see how I'm doing; my next test is the week before Thanksgiving, so we'll see what the results are. Thanks again for your info and encouragement.

Me

Greetings Everyone, I watched my Dad struggle for years with a different demon. He suffered a frontal lobe brain injury and then from alcoholism, which is what eventually took his life. I was looking through some old photos the other night and was amazed at the stark difference in my Dad over the years. My heart goes out to you Linda. I know how hard it is to watch your Dad struggle with something that exacts such a toll on their health and ultimately their lives. Deb, it must be very hard on you, considering your brother is so young. Roberta, its good to see that you are a fighter and dilently working to maintain your health. I'm not sure I would be able to conform to the strictness of testing, diet and medication that this disease requires. Sometimes its easy to forget how blessed we are with the health that we have. We could certainly have it worse. I pray that if I'm ever diagnosed with something such as diabetes, that I handle it with the grace that you've shown. Laurie, you give yourself too little credit and me too much. A nuclear physicist? That's really stretching it. I'm sure it must be very rewarding to have your pupils graduate. Congrats. 4 miles for me this morning. For those of you that are concerned; it was a crisp 27 degrees when I ran this morning. Cheers, Mike
                          Wow you guys this is really eye opening for me. I had no idea diabetes did so much damage. Roberta, it must be tough to be so diligent with diet and exercise. I am glad youre one tough cookie. Good luck and let us know the results. Mike, good for you running in 27 degrees. You beat me to the hard core runner award. I know what you mean about alcoholism ruining lives. I lost two family members in 2005 to alcohol related deaths. My brother and uncle. I havent drank since my brothers death. Now I am watching it ruin my sister who is a hard driven successful pilot. Its killing the family to watch it happen to such a wonderful person. No runs for me. Cold symptoms back. Took a nap today and just kind of milled around. The rain run last night ruined me. I have received about 5 thank you emails from the clinic women. I guess they really liked the clinic. They loved the home made energy bars recipe. I will post it here if anyone wants it. Linda, whats going on with the foot? Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

OK, Mike--NOW you can wear long pants and fleece. I don't think I've been out at that temperature up here in the great white north yet. Laurie--glad to hear that you've indoctrinated some new runners. Hope it sticks for all of them. Teresa--Happy packing for your trip. was it this coming Monday? Eliz--great miles you're doing. Good luck on the 5K this weekend. Roberta--I second what Mike says. taking control of something that can screw you up takes real dedication. Linda--kids seem dangerous for you; first video game damage and now getting stepped on Wink are you feeding them too much? hope it feels better soon. Deb--you're doing great miles, too. Now take a great rest. Shin splints suck big time. I don't think you can run through them. at least I tried and it failed miserably. {{{{deb's butt}}}} (I remember the picture that got posted (and quickly rescinded) back when the newbies first started Wink ) Off the work. Kevin

Rindaroo

Kevin - lol, yep they are dangerous! The jumping bean was a little excited that day... Funny thing you feed these kids, & they just keep growing like crazy!! Laurie - I think it might be a bruised tendon.. trying to rest, ice.. feels better after I do that & could walk better when I took the anti-inflam too.. but once it wore off, still very painful to put pressure on - walking flat, walking up & down stairs.. Sad Roberta - Don't get me wrong Diabetes can be controlled by Type 1's, but is harder than for Type 2's. Type 1's have to take insulin - usually shots or a pump. In recent years, they have discovered if they receive insulin more often, than they the blood sugar levels can be controlled more easily (or lowered consistently). The goal being to get as close to 100 as you can. My dad took 1 shot in the morning for tons of years, and then at some point the docs figured this out & he went from 1 to 2 to 3 shots a day & then to the pump.... Pills & diet/exercise is for Type 2 normally. My understanding is this :The reason being that in Type 2 basically your pancreas is having trouble working correctly & not generating the insulin you need - so diet/exercise or pills are needed. For Type 2, the pancreas is barely working, if at all, so they need a lot more insulin.. this makes it harder to control. They used to call these diseases Juvenile Diabetes & Adult Onset Diabetes. Being the more severe type typically was hereditary & occurred into your 20's. The less severe type being as older adults pancreas' were wearing out. But at some point, they discovered that you could have either type at any age, & it was beneficial to treat accordingly.. the names were changed to reflect the disease, not what they thought were the typical age groups they had been diagnosed historically. Like I said, I spent a lot of time researching diabetes.... & talking to my dad about new treatments, etc.
                              lswife

From just what I've heard, yes, type 1's have a much harder time controlling D than we type 2's do. Type 2 was hard enough to accept even with just diet and exercise changes; I can't imagine the shock of going from a non-insulin (undiagnosed) life to suddenly being a diagnosed type 1. The type 1's I know are children, too - I'm sure the diagnosis was extremely hard on the parents since they have to monitor the children's treatment for quite a while before the child takes over. Yes, the whole family is affected.