Masters Running

Weekly Newbies (Read 428 times)

dg.

hi everyone, too much to answer all at once! so just a little more on this subject.. Linda, (& Mike) thanks re my brother. When his blood sugar is going low is even during the day. He has a spot in his brain that is not getting enough oxygen (mri), we don't know why, & are not sure what it's causing. (but he's not himself anymore.) I think he has this lifelong fear of it going high, & leans too much in the other direction. he's testing better now, & counting his carbs, etc, but without being able to feel a difference, it's touch & go. My other brother lives in the same house.. (that's another long, related story) & his healthy enough now to get a job, but is afraid to because he has to watch him. they've had some very close calls. I'm trying to help, but am not sure how. he loves to fish. gardens like crazy & built a pond. places guitar mind blowingly well. I'm not sure what he can still do, want to encourage but not depress him. He was diagnosed with type I when he was 9. My other brother (he's 47) was diagnosed when he was 15. He had a kidney/pancreas transplant several years ago, but the pancreas failed. he's lost a couple of toes & part of his foot. But actually, he's doing pretty good. They've both had several eye surgeries. Once my DH & Darren had vitrectomies on the same day! isnt' that weird? Roberta, I put some of that in in case you ever have trouble keeping up with all you're doing... it doesn't sound like it, but most things like that are hard to maintain long term. Did you know that things like blueberries or bilberries strengthen capillary integrity, & esp. in your eyes? I saw a link that might have information you could use sometime. Of course, you might already know about it. I hope you dont' need this but will put it here just in case. http://www.healthylivingonline.com/library/displayNews.cfm?id=90865 ok. next time i'll play with fun stuff like running & injuries!!
    lswife

dg - although I had heard blueberries were good, I didn't know why. Thanks. And when I think I'd like to see our grandsons graduate college, I know I have twenty years ahead of me to follow good diet and exercise routines. "Twenty years" can be discouraging; that's when I remember one day at a time, one week at a time. Yeah, this has turned into a diabetic thread, all right, and I appreciate all the experiences, advice, and encouragement. When I see the # of clicks-to-read, I think many others must be learning too. Back to running stories and enjoying it! It's supposed to mild for the next few days so some road-power walking/jogging outside for me!
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yes, the info on diabetes has been very helpful. I'm glad DH listened to his father, who died of diabetes at 72, and is taking care of himself. His three sisters and one brother are all pretty heavy, so he worries about them. More fun medical news: DH has to have a prostate biopsy and a partial thyroidectomy in the next couple of months. Since he has a bleeding disorder, Factor XI Deficiency, for each procedure he will need to take Novo Seven, a genetically-engineered product that prevents delayed bleeding. I read that it is THE most expensive drug in the hospital pharmacy. The hematologist's office said that each dose will cost either $18,760 or $21,840 a dose, depending on whether the old or new version is in stock. Ack! I'm trying to figure out how much Anthem BCBS will cover, but as usual, they're not being very helpful.
          Hi everyone. I need diet, nutrition, energy ideas. I have been bottoming out at 3 miles now for a long time. Either about 20 mins after a short run I am on empty and a little nauseaus. Or at 3 miles on a long run. I cant make it through anything more than 4 miles without a sport beans stop. The energy just isnt there. I think its a nutrition issue. Either not enough carbs, not the right kind of carbs, not the right timing or something like that. Who's good with nutrition? 3 miles for me today. I ran strong but was on emtpy on the drive home. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

dg.

Laurie, what time do you run? What /when do you eat now? I've been wondering about you anyway... you keep getting colds. How much sleep do you get? what's your running / training/ working schedule? (sorry, i've been reading another book. ) congratulations on your successful clinic! I'd like to see your energy bar recipe. I used to make something along that line, just a snack for the kids, but I wonder if it would work for this. That's such a good idea, they would be much cheaper and probably much healthier than most of what's out there. Teresa, i'm losing track. when do you leave for your trip? That is awful about your DH. I hope everything is ok. Have you found out anything from the insurance people? Once I needed an exam by a neurosurgeon. I'd had a recent long term insurance battle about orthotics.. My pcp referred me to a non-participating vendor. Insurance folks kept saying that my dr. would not do that. So, I wrote my own referal? Anyway, before I went to this appt, I wanted to make sure, so I called my doctor to see if the surgeon was covered by my insurance. They didn't know. I called the surgeon, they didn't know. Then, I called my insurance co. They didn't know either. Confused! So, I cancelled the appt. Yep, not much help! Good luck, your situation is much more critical than mine was!!! Kevin, thanks for the advice, & for the hug Smile. (I forgot about that picture.. Blush) Your advice was very timely. (right after I was all decided that I had to chill, my massage therapist told me I could run a little if I had to for my head. & so my head ended up all undecided again. )(he meant well). I've read you can't run through them anyway. well, not & get better. Linda, how's your ankle? yikes. yep, Kevin's right. maybe feed them a little less? I think you're right too... let's both be not injured for a while. My ankle's nearly better now... so it's time for yours to be too. Mike, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. That must have been awful, how heartbreaking for you. (You too, Laurie.). Ok, if it's 27, I guess you can dress a little warmer. I looked on my log, I did wear shorts at 30F. But had a jacket & gloves. I mention it because it was funny... some people out there were really bundled up, but a few of the runners had a lot less on than I did. So I felt less goofy. At least, when I went, it was going to start warming up pretty soon. When you go out, it probably doesn't change much. which reminds me, Kevin, how is 'your' Raynaud's this year? What kind of gloves do you wear? I seem to keep getting worse... my hands were white when I was driving home last sunday. They hadn't seemed that cold when I ran, but my hands sweat. I just realized I should bring a couple pairs of gloves & change them (my car is in the middle of my route). that's a no brainer, but I never thought about it before. eliz, I saw you signed up for another 5K. Big grin. I had 2 gym trips this week with about 45 min. on the elliptical, & 15 min. on the bike (hurt my shins) & the arc trainer. happily the elliptical & arc trainer didn't make anything hurt. I did my usual stability ball exercises after that, but skipped the weights this week.
            Rindaroo

Debbie - glad you hear your ankle is better! Mine is not quite there yet, a lot better, but I thought I'd give it a little more time..
                deb, toast a cup and a half of rice crispies with 1/2 cup wheat germ, and 1/4 cup sesame seed (I put sunflower seed in too). After toasted mix in a cup of raisins, cup of chopped apricots. Set aside. Boil 1/2 cup honey and 1/2 maple syrup. When boiling mix in 1/2 cup sugar, 1tsp vanilla, 1tsp cinamon and 1 cup peanut butter. When all mixed in and smooth pour over cereal mixture in a 9x13 pan. Fold in and press into pan. Refridgerate for an hour then cut into bars. Yumm. You can add protien powder if you want too. I eat small meals throughout the day. I am going to try sport beans before the run instead of in the middle or end. Maybe some more protien would help. I think a referal to a nutritionist would help. 5 miles today with my old and favorite running partner who was supposed to do the half with me! Yeah! It was the first run together in months and was fun to get caught up on things. Hopefully things will be back to the old us running together. Ran out of energy at 3 miles but ate sport beans and ran 2 more strong. Wierd huh. Where the heck is everyone? Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Still here! Did 10 miles by myself today. Wasn't a super duper run, but I knocked it out. I AM kind of tired tonight! dg, that's too bad about your insurance situation. I haven't had a second to look into anything this week. DD10 and I leave a week from Thursday, November 13. I have a lot of work to do before we leave! Tonight I have to run up to LL Bean to get some coats for the kids. Can't believe it's that time of the year already. Good run, Laurie! I'm glad you were able to keep going. It IS weird how runs go - when I started out today, I really didn't think I was going to make it even 5 miles, but I just kept plugging.
                  stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm hiding in VA this week. I might have said something last night, but very carefully packed up my computer at the end of the day and left it sitting at the plant for the night Roll eyes i have it tonight. Laurie--that sounds really good. anything that involves maple syrup and honey can't be too bad! do they stay as bars or are they really soft? i don't run long enough to have had to worry about fueling during, but seems as though you should do it a little while before, since I don't imagine that it gets in your system that quickly. Unless of course, they're magic beans Wink deb--now that you mention it, it hasn't seemed as bad as the past (so far, knocking on wood) I've been taking niacin as a supplement to help reduce triglycerides (I think, can't remember exactly) but my doc said that since a side effect of it is to cause flushing (ie dilation of the capillaries) it may actually help the Raynaud's. it's never really bothered me while running. i tend to wear the one size fits all stretch gloves ($1 a pair) for most of the time. When it goes under 20 I have a pair of thermax liners that I use. Eliz--congtrats again on your highly successful 5K. you did really well. the next one will be even better! I signed up for the Jingle Bell run that I did last year in Dec. I'm hoping for better than last year and much, much better than my last race. Linda--glad you're healing. hope you're back on the roads (and 'mills) soon. Mike, Roberta, Teresa (even though I think you're now in SA) have a good night and hope to hear from everyone soon.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

dg.

Teresa, nice run! thanks about the insurance situation... it was a long time ago so it doesn't matter. I just threw it in there because it seemed to fit. sort of funny, in a mildly twisted sort of way. A week from Thursday! Very exciting. Linda, I hope it heals soon. this probably but a big wrench in your whole program, didn't it. How's your breathing? Have you had anybody check it out? (your ankle, that is) Laurie, thanks for the recipe. It does sound good. As far as nutrition, there are so many variables.. that's why i asked what time you run. the November Runner's world had an article that might have ideas that would help you. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-301--12904-0,00.html Lately I've been reading a book by Matt Fitzgerald on nutrition for runners. I like it. I also really like his Brain Training for Runners. Especially the chapter on stress & recovery. Read it if you get a chance. I'd like to know what you think. I'm increasing my protein too... having some (w/carbs) before & right after your run is supposed to lessen muscle damage. I tried that for the first time this morning, & felt better all day. I don't know if there was a direct link. I read something recently about types of carbs (you'd mentioned that before) but I can't find it & am not sure I have the details right, so I'll just look a little more. All this typing & I'm not saying anything. Sorry. either a nutritionist, or use some program to find out your carb/protein/fat balance. then tweak it till you feel good. I agree, it sounds like you need more carbs. around the time of your run you need ones that are high on the glycemic index, which feels weird to me. spent years avoiding them. I think we need more pie. mta, hi Kevin! glad you got your pc. Roll eyes I'm glad yours isn't as bad! I might try the niacin, thanks. I have some anyway. how much do you take? happy hiding.
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm still here, Kevin! I leave a week from tomorrow, gulp. I don't know how I'm going to get everything done. My dad has a laptop, so I'm hoping I can log any running and post here while I'm on the trip. I ordered an outlet converter for SA (traingular pattern of plugs, interesting), so I can use my Garmin 305, too! I'm so addicted. After my long run yesterday, my calves are sore, so I think I'll take a rest day. Maybe finish up some of my long to-do list. Have a great day, everyone!
                          http://www.recipezaar.com/Protein-Fitness-Energy-Bars-206513 Link to the real energy bar recipe. They harden to a firm but slightly chewy bar if left in the fridge. Just the right consistency. Do a search on this site for energy bars and you will find tons of recipes. I am sore. Going to swim tonight. Laurie

oops. posted twice.

Me

Hello Everyone, Whew! We had a big big event at work today that I was largely responsible for planning, coordinating and executing. I think it went off pretty well. I think I'm going to have all kinds of time at work now. Not really, now I get to start working on next year's festivities. Boy, am I relieved! I opted to run after work today, so that I could be at work a little early to make sure things got started on the right foot. I had a great run. I kind of pushed the pace a little and felt pretty good. Since I know y'all are worried about what I'm wearing down here, It was a wonderful 68 degrees and I wore shorts, a short sleeve tech tee shirt and my running hat. Teresa, I hope you are able to keep us up to date while on your trip. Although, I guess if you are in South Africa and worrying about us, we should probably have a talk about your priorities. But I would love to hear how things are going. Linda, I'm glad that you are feeling better. Cheers Everyone, Mike
                              lswife

Mike - congrats on pulling off what certainly sounds like "a big event." When I was still teaching, I had fun (sort of) things and was equally glad once the event was over. Happy running everyone.