Masters Running

Weekly Newbies (Read 428 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

LOL, Mike, I can't help but think about you guys! Big grin I'm glad your event went well. Is this the first one like this that you've done? I would be a nervous wreck. My wedding nearly put me over the edge!
    stumpy77

Trails are hard!

So Mike, was this social or a mass evacuation or something like that. Aren't you a safety officer? I'm old and my memory isn't that good Smile Probably more traumatic to do social! 2 miles on the treadmill at the hotel this morning, since I wimped out about running in the rain. i probably would have gone if I had a running hat with me, because I hate running with drips on my glasses. I may try again tomorrow, as we don't have to be up early to go to the plant, just make a 10:30 flight. Then very soon after I get home, I drive to my sister's and then to upstate NY to help my mom move out of her (my original) home. she's only lived there 53 years (right after I arrived), and never more than 5 miles from there. she's moving to be right around the corner from my sister (who lives only about 2 hours from our house) It's going to be very interesting. Right now she's the only one in the neighborhood from when I grew up. End of an era. DW is also from Rochester, so only her dad and brother left there. I won't have a computer with me, so most likely will be hiding out till Sunday night at least. Hope everyone has a good weekend and good runs. Kevin eta--Teresa great milage you're doing. Hope youre able to run some in SA. I've never run out of the country! We're finally closed up in Maine. I did a 5K in Windham a week ago Sunday and really sucked. Was your 5K relatively flat? Sort of wished I had done that one, but not up early enough.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Theresa, congrats on 10. And you run below 10 degrees?! Ugh. But I guess you Maine runner are a hardy bunch. I wouldnt even survive a fall up there much less a winter. Kevin, wow to 1. you are over 53 (which I never knew) and 2. your mom lived in your childhood house for 53 years! 6 years is the longest I have lived in one house and 7 years is the longest I have lived in one state (Hawaii). Mike. tell us what the event was. We need to have a newbie meetup. We have been chattering on these boards for over a year. We should pick a centrally located race, train for it and meet up to run it then party afterwards. Who's in? Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Rindaroo

Hi all - My best news is that my dad came home from the hospital yesterday! He was there for 2 weeks. Mike - so what was this big event? It always good to be on the other side after lots of planning. Debbie - Yes this has put a monkeywrench into my plans... it seems the only motivation I have with exercise is to run.. but I am finally starting to get motivated to go to the gym & do elliptical or the bike - maybe tomorrow. So, I think I reinjured the ankle again.. oy! It is not really painful, but just unstable. But, I finally figured out what happened & why it hasn't gotten completely better. In the parking lot, I've been walking in there is a steepuphill (just a couple of steps) & I walk up that way everyday because its a shortcut to my car. Well yesterday, when I did that the ankle twisted, it was a real DOH! moment. I feel really stupid now. But, I've changing my route from parking lot to work now, & I shouldn't do that again......

Me

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be secretive. I was just trying to spare you the tedium of my explanation of it. The event was an emergency drill where we simulated an attack on the nuclear plant and called in offsite resources to assist. We set up an incident command post for the first time (for us anyway). responding to the site were the local sherrif's office, other local police departments, Tenn State Police, Tenn Dept of Homeland Security, FBI, ATF, Several local fire departments, Local ambulance services, an air ambulance from Knoxville, FEMA, Tenn Emergency Management Agency and local county Emergency Management agencies. We also had some pretty high level people from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission onsite to watch the festivities. My job is maintaining the plant's radiological emergency plan, which entails periodically running drills in order to test and exercise the plant's emergency response capabilities. Every two years we run a drill that is evaluated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commision. This was the biggest I've done, in that it's a new type of drill and it required more coordinating than any others. So now we are analyzing what happened to see if there are any program improvements that we can make (which there are). Tongue Linda, I'm so glad that your Dad was able to return home. That has to be so much more comfortable for him (and your step Mom). It is so easy to reinjure something that is not completely healed. So sorry. Cheers everyone, Mike
            xor

Holy crap! That sounds big. Complicated. And if you had made us guess, I guarantee you that none of us would have come up with anything as "cool" sounding (to outsiders) as that.

Me

Laurie, I'm in.

Me

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you that in the middle of it, we had to put the drill on hold while we had a real medical emergency in our Incident Command Post. Fortunately the room was full of EMTs and other emergency responders. The guy was on a gurney and in the back of an ambulance in about 2 minutes. I hear he is doing OK now. As soon as he was on his way to the hospital we resumed the drill right where we left off.
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

Holy crap! That sounds big. Complicated. And if you had made us guess, I guarantee you that none of us would have come up with anything as "cool" sounding (to outsiders) as that.
                    Wow, I'll say! I was thinking office party, lol. That's a huge responsibility. I'm glad to hear there are things like that going on!
                    Rindaroo

Mike - wow! how exciting & I bet you feel a great sense of accomplishment now. Yes, Dad & SM are very happy that he is home now. We are hoping that he will be feeling better once he recovers.. he should be in less pain & his energy levels (hemoglobin) should go up. Well, I finally made it to the gym. I'm just sick of doing no exercise at all. So, did 30 minutes on the exercise bike after trying the elliptical. But my foot wasn't going for the elliptical Sad Then did a couple of sets on the seated row machine, but was scared to do anything else..... for fear of irritating that nerve.
                      dg.

Laurie, you're right. It would be fun. I'm interested. btw, are we getting extra credit now for age? whoohoo. Kevin, nice of you to help your mom.. is it going to be weird for you? how does she feel about this? sounds like it will be nice for her to be near your sister. you are a busy guy lately. Linda, great news about your dad. too bad about your ankle! good detedtive work Smile. I'm glad you got to the gym! too bad about the elliptical. I can see where the rowing machine could be a little iffy for your neck. frustrating. Mike, how cool! very nice to see the coordination between the different agencies, too. i'm so glad it's working out for you 'down' there. I did have an idea about the event, but that was cheating.. i already knew what you do. which reminds me of the art fair... taken any good pictures lately? i'm still battling the shin thing & piriformis issues. I haven't quite been able to cut back as much as I should, I suppose, but I'm getting better instead of worse, so it's hard to make myself stop entirely. i'll go to the gym tonight instead of this morning, that way I can use the whirlpool when i'm done.

Me

Aw shucks. Y'all are making me blush. Blush Thanks I am glad that it is over. However, I have to say that I love my new job and the area. I've gotten lots of very good feedback as to how well things went on Wednesday and to how well I am doing here in my new position. Cool Debbie, I have shot a couple of rolls of film. I have a few from those rolls that I am VERY happy with. I am planning on going out this weekend. The leaves are at their peak colors right now. I am still thinking that I would love to have a booth in Ann Arbor next year or the year after that. 4 miles for me this morning. I forgot to put my reflective vest on, but no one ran over me anyway. I'll probably continue wearing it since it is usually pretty dark when I run. Cheers everyone, Mike
                            Mike, spoken like a true southerner. Theyve got you now. Ok where do we meet then? Any ideas? The race needs to have several distances to make everyone happy. How about Disney? Its not centrally located but its the happiest place on earth. Heating my leg to stretch and head out to the res for a run with the women. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Me

Good morning Everyone! I went hiking yesterday. I had a few rolls of film to get rid of. We'll see what I was able to get from the trip. I took Jake (the dog) with me. I think I wore him out. I know I wore me out. I realized yesterday that my camera equipment weighs alot! 5 miles for me this morning. I felt like I was going pretty slow as my legs are a little sore from yesterday. laurie, I'm not sure disney has anything in the time frame we would be looking at. do they? We should probably decide when we can all get together, then look for a race that suits us. I have committed to the Rock n Roll half in Virginia Beach in September. Cheers! Mike
                                Hi, everybody. Just wanted to check in and let you know I'm lurking here and thinking about all of you. Posting on the daily, getting in at least three runs per week, trying to keep my head above water in this grad class, learning music for the church gig, and oh, yeah, actually doing my real job are keeping me on the edge of being swamped right now. Putting my head down and pushing on through the next two weeks - we have a long break at Thanksgiving (conference days and Wednesday off!), and I'm going to be so ready for it! Good running, all, Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com