Masters Running

Monday March 23 Runs and stuff (Read 677 times)

NONO, The shamrock is an awesome marathon (or half) to run. The out and back loops are a bit isolated, but the finish on the boardwalk at the statue of Neptune is awe inspiring. Here are a few lessons learned, but jdsmom I think has run this a couple of times and could add so much more. I'll try and list the things that I thought detracted, but could be overcome. 1) Water/Gatorade. The course map lists all the stops, but they aren't evenly distributed. Plenty out there, but I trained to drink water/Gatorade every 15 minutes. You can't always do this so don't train that way. Get used to drinking at irregular intervals, some shorter or longer than others. There were plenty of fluids out there to drink just some odd spacing. Minor thing but I wasn't ready for it. 2) Gels, gu's- They only handed these out in one spot at about Mile 16 on the out bound loop and mile 23 on the way back. If you like to eat, or slurp, before mile 16 then you will have to carry your own. And if you don’t like their gel then you have to carry what you like. I think it was CARBOOM; I carried plenty of my hammer gel espresso. 3) The loop around and through Ft Story is isolated with few spectators and it is through a very difficult mental transition period, mile 16-21. I have to admit it was tough to run that lonely loop without anyone cheering you on. Mentally prepare for it, or better yet make a friend run it with you for support. Once your get back on the main road (66) back into town the encouragement picks up the closer you get. Remember after mile 20 anyone who says you look great is lying to you!!! Do not trust them; you look exactly like your feel!!! Dead 4) The post race celebration is in a huge tent on the beach. The only place to sit is in the sand. Lessons learned is unless you want to end up looking like a sugar cookie or stay standing the whole time is to have a friend at the finish with a lawn chair and your gear bag so you can slip into teva's or anything that is not the pair of shoes you've been wearing for the past several hours. You can also relax and sit in style whilst you drink your beer. You will be the envy of many a sugar cookie or sore legged stander upper. That's about all I can think of that is specific for the Shamrock. I've heard the wind can be rough sometimes, but it was absolutely perfect weather yesterday so I can't whine about it. Looking at my list, all of those things can be prepared for and overcome. Hope this helps...Good luck to you next year!!! Karl
    Slo

Diver, they sound a little cheap on the GU's. I would need one before mile 16......I hate falling behind on nutrition.....very tough to recover from. Ribs... Sorry, I was more interested in posting the picture than I was worried about correctly id'ing my kids. Black eye Anyway.... Mine are the Blond in the Band t-shirt. She is a Senior, 18 yrs and was the Band Majorette this year. The other young lady that belongs to me is the one directly to my Mom's right. In the Blue shirt and skirt. 11 yrs and full of spunk. She's my pace keeper. She rides along side of me on her bike and keeps and eye on the garmin. And the Young man on the far left in the back is my son. 16yrs old......has no idea what a great Engineer he'd make.
      evanflein

Hey everyone. Happy Monday. I got back from San Francisco on Saturday morning. DH met me in Anchorage on my midnight arrival and took me to the Hilton for a night of recovery. Otherwise it would've been over 6 hours in the airport. We left on a later flight and got home--reasonably rested and full of breakfast buffet--around 11 a.m. Saturday. Good thing, because with Mt. Redoubt erupting, most flights out of Anchorage are canceled today! I had a nice week in S.F., and actually had a PR mileage week! Got in 7 on the treadmill on Saturday, it was clear sunny and cold with a brisk wind so I stayed inside. Schedule said 10, but 7 felt right so that was it. Then on Sunday, I got in my 20 miler on legs that felt surprisingly good! Amazing what waiting around till mid-afternoon does for me. Temps were low 20's, sun was bright but the wind was still pretty strong. Wind was ENE, so I went WSW... for most of it. The last few miles were pretty tough. Let's see if I can get the pace/elevation graph to import: Powered by RunningAHEAD.com Back at work today, digging through a discouragingly hugh pile of stuff, e-mails, voice mails, blah blah blah.
        PJH

Erika - was thinking about you today and Mt. Redoubt. Does any of that ash fallout land near you? Hopeful - 300 crunches and 50 push ups ... I only wish! Nice job! Sunny but very cold today. Got in 6.5 mi ... 60 mins ... 9:19 pace ... 146 hr. My little girl turned 30 yesterday. They do grow up fast. We were joking that I used to be 3 or 4 times her age. Now I'm only twice her age. That made her think. Great running everyone! PJ
          evanflein

Ash fallout is apparently heading north, which is a little unusual, but not expecting much up here. If it gets past the Alaska Range I'd be surprised.
              Monday - 6.02 very easy recovery miles - 53:31 - 8:54 - HR data was way off...shows an Avg of 145 and a Max of 251...NO WAY! Partly cloudy, very windy & 26°

Renee the dog

Karl, Thanks for taking the time to give me a detailed recap! The Shamrock will be my second marathon, if things go as planned. I generally don't look good from the start, so I won't believe the B.S. after mile 20! Wink I'm running a lonely first one too: Rehoboth Beach in the fall. Hopefully, it'll train me for those lonely miles at the Shamrock. dg, I signed myself up today for the marathon and my husband for the 8K. We're in! He's all excited too! Nothing like having plans a year in advance! Cool

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Thanks for all of the good wishes for my marathon training. My family, none of whom even begin to "get" me, and especially don't get my running, treated my announcement as if I said "I'm going to the supermarket" rather than "I'm going to run a marathon." A couple of my work buddies are excited for me, though. They even volunteered to come to the race, provided they can wait for me in a restaurant, preferably one with a bar Luckily, the race ends in front of Boardwalk Hall, within yards of several eating and drinking establishments. Smile "Brain Training for Runners" is definitely in my amazon shopping cart. Fantastic pic day here on the daily . . . SLO - beautiful pic of the cousins with their grandparents. Tramps - love the photo of the DC mayor lamenting you're thrashing him! dg - I'm definitely the lemming with the life preserver! Celebrating my big decision by NOT running today. Generally do XT on Mondays anyway, and the wind was gusting in the 30s when I got home. Some of my after school obligations are winding down, so I'll get home early enough for a nice run before dark tomorrow. I finally made it official by registering for Broad Street today. Holding off on the other race registrations until my checkbook survives tax season. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

dg.

The "main event" is the half-M, and that's what I'll be doing. Hmmm... Something good must be happening if you're talking about signing up for all these runs. I'm sure you'll do well. Have you been running some of the shorter runs in AA recently?
                    No racing yet! And at this point, I'm still rehabbing so will just have to run them as training runs. I signed up for the Columbus marathon 12-28, knowing sometime or another I'd have to get in a few races. Tongue. Then the first week in Jan. I pulled my hamstrings again. So... something good? I don't know! I am feeling good about my latest PT apprpoach. It's a sunny day. It just felt like the thing to do. Sometimes I suffer from delusions of competence. Wink Maybe I'll be ready by then to run the half. That would be fun. How long do you think I dare wait to sign up? (a little more catchup...) Erika welcome back. Your elevation graph makes me dizzy. Amy's running Amy's running. Yes So happy to read about your 10 miler & your 5K with Dan. No pain? Carolyn, I love the way your celebrated your DD's sweet 16. Would you wish her a happy belated from me?
                    dg.

Karl, Thanks for taking the time to give me a detailed recap! The Shamrock will be my second marathon, if things go as planned. I generally don't look good from the start, so I won't believe the B.S. after mile 20! Wink I'm running a lonely first one too: Rehoboth Beach in the fall. Hopefully, it'll train me for those lonely miles at the Shamrock. dg, I signed myself up today for the marathon and my husband for the 8K. We're in! He's all excited too! Nothing like having plans a year in advance! Cool
                      nono, me too!! Ack. Well, they just told me congratulations. As well they should. (mta...that was supposed to be funny. ) Then stoopid IE encountered an error & had to close. So I think I'm registered. p.s. got an email. yep, I am. Smile PJ, happy birthday to your DD. that's quite a milestone, isn't it? Eliz, I thought that was me. Wink Hi Steve!!!
                      SteveP

Good morning! Mariposai – I love the picture yesterday - you look stunning! Happy Monday!
                        Nice Picture SloHand 3.25 miles today http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t117/smpankowski/?action=view¤t=DSCF4107.flv I hope this is right. It's video Mrs.P took of our Grandson when he met our dog. Both have grown. I'll need to get different pictures. He's a keeper.

SteveP

King of PhotoShop

Thanks SLO. Awesome family! What a great photo. Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

me too, especially if dear posie can post a follow-up of the butterfly couple in running attire. erika - not that anyone who once did a marathon on Saturday and 50-miler on Sunday several years ago wants to know or anything like that but what was your PR week?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Ha, Deb... and that was one of my "flatter" runs as far as elevation goes. Tetsujin, it was a PR week for me, but not so much for many other people who post here, 58.7 was the total. I've never run more than that in any one week. I don't think I'd hold up well with some of the 60 to 70+ mile weeks some folks do!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I know what you mean but with weekly figures more than many of our months, if not several months. However, let me know if you need any tapering advice for Boston. <>0-0-0-0)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)