Masters Running

Wednesday, 9.too.15 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' kids.

I'm glad that Shadow Runner popped back in; that Holly is feeling better; that Mariposai is getting some clean air; that Avenger Doggie continues to have interesting and exciting adventures (with or without ice cream); that Deeze did well in her tri (even if the run wasn't her best this time out); that Aamos is feeling better about September; that Henrun & Marj smartly escaped to the Cape during college move-in; and that TW is still damn skippy.

5.7 RW farlek miles in nice 60F temps, and under a half moon still straight up at J o'clock. Miles 2, 4, and the .7 were my faster segments, and all were in the 10s this morning, so I was happy with that. Now I have to head off to the first of my back-to-back-to-back meetings that will likely last past noon, and I'm not so happy about that.

Have a greta hump day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Morning Jay, gents, ladies, and all the ships at sea.

10+ mile bike ride this morning in balmy 70+ temps and 85% humidity.  If I was running I would have left the shirt at home.  But on bike the risk of road rash is too great.  Especially for me since I haven't been riding for a while and am somewhat "rusty" - like my old bike.   Also being a predawn ride, never quite sure if a new "obstacle" should suddenly appear in my lights.   In the past, I had to avoid new potholes,  a deer herd [in the middle of town], a raccoon,  and a skunk [he missed].

This morning except for increase car traffic no issues. Yeah!  The traffic I suspect was due to school starting in our area today.  But why a school bus or increase cars were on the road at 5 AM for school is anyone's guess.  But as I said no issues and the morning fog that arrived this morning held off until after sunrise.  So it was all good.

Enjoy the day folks.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Slo

Whew...talk about a hot sweaty mess. A very labored run this morning. I'm ready for some frosty mornings.

We have several area schools letting out early because of the heat index today. I was just out on the plant floor and the temp in processing is already 105...miserable day for those folks.

Jay, I was hoping you would get some feedback on your race registration. We are seeing declining numbers across the board as far as race distance goes. The more popular races continue to draw but the smaller venues are seeing declines. Myself personally, I skipped the last local 5k because they increased the price to $30 pre registration and $38 race day...to rich for me.

Joe, I've always found the first few days of September to be the worst traffic congestion of the year since that's when pretty much everybody is back from summer vacation, school's started, workplaces go onto non-summer hours, etc. Fortunately I don't have to deal with it any more except at road crossings if I'm running or biking early in the morning.

And I'm with Slo! Today was the fourth time in a row for me running or biking when it was not all that hot in the early AM , but the humidity was north of 90% to make for a sweaty mess when the motion stopped. Yesterday I did 33 miles biking with the Tuesday group and today it was a 4.7-mile run along my favorite woodsy trail. Spraying down with repellent was probably a good idea, too.

I wonder what TW's up to today?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Well, we did 400s last night at Speedsters.  12 of them.  I prolly should of stopped at 8.  Definitely slowed down for the last 4, and especially the

last 2.  So just 7+ this am; the humidity's still up there over 90, but the temp was just shy of 80, so that was super.

While I'm certainly enjoying September, that doesn't mean it'll be all smooth sailing.  Poor Rick, is all I'll say.  And this (see below)

I like thinking of tw being "skippy."

Happy Wednesday!  It's DH's b-day so we're having salmon tonight, la la la.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Out of the loop the past few days and just popping in to catch up.

Saw Aamos on the cover of some magazine, Glamour or Vogue, I forget, but it was good to see we have a celeb in here. Good for you Amy.

Ran both days in Pittsburgh along the Allegheny River with the Saint. She's still hurting, seems like sciatica to me, and had to walk some, but later while I worked, she toured the city on foot and must have gotten in 8 miles on Monday.

I don't run well the morning after a plane trip, so this morning I set out to do ten and packed it in after four.  Now I'm about to pack and head out to Omaha for just one day's work.  I don't start til 9:30 tomorrow morning so I'll have time to get in a short run there.  Spareribs

I'm ready for some frosty mornings.

Be careful what you wish for  Same conditions here this morning. Just coming off a bout of the stomach crud ( your picture was a very appropriate one for me, Aamos!) so between GI distress and heat and humidity, I decided 4 miles was enough. Spent the next 2 hours playing taxi driver, dropping DH at a friends house so he could catch a ride for a 3-day golf trip in Michigan, then taking my niece, her husband and 2 kids to the airport to fly to Florida.

Hey Slo - I'm sorry I missed your post about being in Green Bay! I don't always post/check the dailies and somehow I didn't see that. We have some awesome new places to try locally brewed craft beer. Next trip????

Happy birthday to your DH Aamos. And welcome back Ribs. How is the new freshman doing?

Time to go to work. Hope y'all have a great Wednesday!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Be careful what you wish for  

me too,. especially after four months of the best summer ever.

However, 57 degrees was the just fine for this morning's 4.5 mile cycling commute.

First morning outing below 60-degrees in four-or-five months.

Tag - good job on teaching Steve how to fetch.

He's a lot smarter than he pretends to be.

Is his swim training "squat" too?

Does he do polar bear swims?

Does he mulch too?

Is he real?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Temperatures have sunk here so I had one of the best night's sleep in a LONG time - with a duvet and blanket on.  All summer the heat and humidity and hot flashes made for restless sleep.  I really am a cold weather person.

57F and 4.3 mile run after 2 days off, so legs felt fresh and sproinky, but for whatever reason, I decided to go slow anyway to just savour how easy it felt.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Really? You can have ours!! We've had frost the last couple of nights in the lower elevations. I don't think we've had much... I still have good lettuce in the garden, but the spaghetti squash plant on the deck looks pretty sad. This morning we had wet dew on our grass but the houses at the bottom of the hill had frosty roofs and lawns.

I'm still impressed with Tet's training. I think you'll have a great run at Portland, Tet!

It sure was an incredible summer for our Seattle based friends, even though it led to awful fires farther East and South. And it figures, this is one year where I didn't have reason to go to Seattle other than to switch planes.

Clear sunny day here and I can clearly see the Alaska Range from my office. It's been shrouded in smokey haze almost all summer, so this is a real treat. We'll get into the 60's today and the rest of this week, so I'm going for a nice 10 mile trail run after work, in short sleeves!

dg.

Tet's training?

?

?

I must have made a wrong turn back at the pass....

I am out of the loop here too. It is afternoon for you guys by the time our day starts here in Alaska, except for Erika, of course. It's 52° and sunny, perfect day for a cruise on Prince William Sound. With a high of 61°, It is almost t-shirts and shorts weather. We do park in front of a glacier for an hour so I think I'll take a coat. I will get a run in one of these days but the bear warning signs scare the crap out of me.

Good day everyone, see ya!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

C-R

Tet training? Well I missed so much lately.

I'm not ready for frost but I am ready for those 50 degree evenings and mornings.

Kiddo ran first big meet yesterday. He ran JV and hit a 17:50 for his first XC 5k and finished 16th. His team won. Never saw a bigger smile on a youngster. Very happy for him. All that hard work is paying dividends.

Got a nice 6 at lunch - and yes it was humid.

Be good everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

...good to see dg posting//.............how're you doing deb??

and Avenger Doggie can chase all my cars

==========

90's here and humid,

but I grew up with this, and haven't gotten NEARLY enough of it lately

still stuck

at 3x10-min with cane...

.........first PT is tomorrow, so maybe I'll get some isometrics to throw in there

............good running guys......................and ''skippy'' back at aamos.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

How are the new freshmen doing Holly and Ribs?

DG, so fantastic to see you here!

Watch out world!!!! The taperboy tetsujin is training Smile

Enkie, I am with you about finally being able to have a good night sleep. I slept soundly last night too.

With all the fire issues and long work hours my rocking RP and I have not been able to connect for a run for weeks, but today the sky was clear, the air was smoke free and crispy and both of us were not in hurry to speed up the run. Eight fun-tastic smile miles. Loved every second of it!

Tag is a cool dog.

Tselbs, that was a sweet picture of your daughter and son in law.

C-R, deep breaths. I am sure your daughter will be wise with her choice of BFs.

Tamster, how is the smoke your way?

Econo, so wonderful to see you around here.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard