Masters Running

Boston Boomer Brunch cancelled? (Read 796 times)

Aamos! We moved to Florence in late 1998 so I could take a job at Smith (alma mater). Even though I stepped down in 2004 to join some former colleagues at an educational fundrasing consulting firm, our love for the area remains steadfast and we stayed (my father is 4th generation Springfield, so it’s all familiar). If I described my running routes in my postings, you would likely recognize the terrain well! My favorite loops take me out into Westhampton, Hatfield or up into Huntington. It will be great to meet you in April and compare notes. I have also noted your references to Red Sox Nation. It’s more than a pride thing to be sure. I admire you from afar anyway for your ability to throw down serial 3:20-3:40 marathons. Fabulous. CNYrunner
      I'll probably never get to a Boston get-together, but they sound like a lot of fun. I know that meeting everyone in Omaha was a blast! Spareribs, that's pretty much how I remember the story, although Amy might have had 3 glasses. It sure did look like a wrestling match for a while! ~Starr

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

We must know some of the same people. I used to work with Catherine Kaye Cooper, a Smith alum who lives in Noho--her husband is one of the Coopers' Corners owners. Say, where the heck is btb? I'm going over to the daily to call him out! Wink
        Masters 2000 miles
        evanflein

Starr, thanks for the photo! Always nice to have proof of the shenanigans... I'm along for whatever, but I agree the keg in Lou's car is on the list of "must do" things!! BTB, sounds like fun!
          btb1490

Here's the deal. There is a thread on the kickrunner's forum that I was made aware of, where a gathering for the trials was being planned. Not wanting to step on anyone's toes, I wasn't sure if I should go ahead with my plans or not, thus my hesitation in posting here again. The invite to come before/after the trials to where I'm staying is of course opened to anyone. If it is decided that meeting at the other location is preferred, then let's do that. The point is to get everyone together, regardless of the meeting location. If we do end up at my place, I need to make some disclaimers though, just so everyone has the right impression. The place I'm staying at is small, probably not much bigger than Henry and Marj's living room, so it'll be cozy! It's in an apartment building in a residential area, so the gathering has to be kept low key. As much as I'd love to throw an awesome spread out for everyone like Henry and Marj have so graciously done in the past, it just isn't possible where I am. I will gladly provide bagels and coffee and juice for everyone, and a place to gather for everyone to meet and chat, but can't go much beyond that. Anyone is welcome to bring whatever they want, just keep in mind that space will be limited. If it gets too crowded or if people would rather go somewhere for a bite to eat or whatever afterwards, we could discuss it at the gathering. It would be an honor and a pleasure to host this for everyone, if that's what is decided. If yes, BYOC (Bring Your Own Chair!) Smile
              Well...we definitely need to get together...RA and KR.....hopefully...... During and after the trials is perfect......maybe we need to get a head count before we determine a location?
              Henrun

Size is not an issue. We're a friendly crowd and not obese. As long as we get together, that 's the main thing.
                  We are also planning something for Boston. This seems like an appropriate thread to advertise it. We'll be having an open house Saturday evening (I guess that's April 19) at dawndaughter1's place in Somerville. Yes, there will be a keg. Maybe Irish Red, maybe the English Pale Ale I'm making as I type this, not sure yet. Send me an email if you think you'd be coming and I'll send the details before the event. vvvsuper secret codevvv lking at pobox dot com ^^^super secret code^^^

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm just sort of sitting back and waiting for all the plans to be laid, and then I'll figure out which ones we can get to. DH and I are arriving Saturday afternoon, staying at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel, which is apparently near the finish line. We won't have a car though, and don't know anything about Boston, so we will be figuring it out as we go. I'm afraid I don't know the details about the Olympic trials. Is that Sunday morning? To be honest, my non-running husband may be more interested in sightseeing than watching more running stuff. He's been talking about some sort of duck tour (?)... At any rate, I definitely want to meet up with Master-Boomers. What about dinner plans? And when is the parking lot keg party?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

And when is the parking lot keg party?
                      We figured the Saturday evening thing would be nicer than the parking lot. Tongue

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #957

How far is Somerville from where we will be? What about after the race? Will there be any meet-up possibilities Monday evening (when we can drink more liberally)?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Holly--you probably already have this. http://www.bostonducktours.com/ I've never been on it but everyone that has says they're a blast. maybe not more fun than the boomer get-together, but fun none the less Smile i know I won't be running, but sure hope to meet some of the famous names that are. Since I work in the pagan state of NH, I don't get Patriot's Day off, so seeing people actually run may not be possible, but I'm figuring watching them drink might not be a bad alternative Wink I definitely want to get to at least one of the meetings, so will keep track. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

New skirt in town

Holly, Somerville is about a 15 min drive from where you are staying. I know, because I live in lovely Somerville. I may be able to come pick some folks up and do a little shuttling, if you'd like. I don't have a huge car, but some of you teeny folks might have bottoms small enough to fit into my DS's booster seat. Looking forward to it! --Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Holly, google women's olympic trials and you'll see the details. btb, as someone with a toe in this deal, I say don't worry about stepping on it. As faras I'm concerned you can go ahead with your plans. WRFB, thanks for your generous offer.
                                i live about 30 minutes north of boston - i'll be around by sunday afternoon if i can help out with a car as well - i'm going to a church retreat from thurs eve til sunday morning but then i'm devoted to the marathon...........i'll be volunteering in the medical tent all day during the marathon. holly - maggiano's is right across the street from the boston park plaza - if you love italian food that's a great place in walking distance!!

denise