Masters Running

Relays (Read 455 times)

OrangeMat

MM #6177

I'm really loving this thread! Thanks Debbie for starting it. Smile

Good point about the 2nd pair of shoes, Jlynne, because I was going to ask about that. Knowing my feet, I prefer to wear a pair of Birkenstocks after running, just to let my feet air out and relax, rather than staying in the running shoes or even going barefoot. The support of the Birki footbed is very therapeutic, I've found, so I was planning on bringing mine.

As for fitting an entire set of running clothes into a ziploc baggie, I have to wonder if it would all fit. Not that my clothes are extra-large sized, but still.... maybe these are bigger than gallon-sized bags? I'll have to experiment, I know.

Tammy, what is dry shampoo? And do you use a wet blowdrier with it??

I know, I know, I'm still all about the hair... so sue me...

mustang sally

Bad faerie

I have a pair of relays under my belt.  Here's the race report from the Ragnar Del Sol in '08 that Erika's talking about:

http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/thread/23302/official-sand-y-sol-race-report-ragnar-relay

Hermosaboy is way more organized than I generally am but has lots of good ideas.

The headlamp:  don't worry how you look with a headlamp on.  It's, um, dark when you need them.  Also, although many vans *can* carry just one reflective vest, I rather like sticking with one that has only my sweat all over it.

Packing light:  essential.  You may choose to travel with a bigger bag that you lock in a car or a local's house or something, but the gear in the van has to be minimal.

Food:  The relays I've run do this:  we gather at/near airports.  We get vans.  We take the vans someplace and decorate them.  We go shopping for carbs and drinks and whatever else seems to make sense.  Some people bring personal stashes if they have specific needs.  We split the food bill, making allowances for those with specific needs.  We generally stop for meals, if the timing makes sense, during pauses at major exchanges.  Eat light, unless you're mcsolar, in which case, you eat whatever is nearby.

Training:  fergetaboutit.  If you have a marathon base, just run on what you've got.  I doubt I'll run much in the three weeks between Bayshore and Wasatch.  We're not out to break any world records here, and I really don't know that doubling and tripling is that helpful.  Keep pace under control (HM pace, tops) for the first two legs.  I blew that on my first relay - for the third leg, I got out of the van and my legs were appalled that we were going to do this again.

Layers:  It gets cold at night and hot in the day and might rain cats and dogs.  Assume you and the rest of the van will stink at the end and bring a calculated variety of clothing that can come on and off.

Drivers:  Never let a physicist drive the van.

Warmup:  I respectfully disagree with Hermosaboy and Happyfeet.  I just stand around being Awful before my leg and indulge in dry heaves after.  That seems to suffice.

In general:  This isn't really a running event.  It's a social event that involves running.  This Wasatch Back team isn't going to be seriously competitive, although there are serious competitors coming along.  Just have fun and let the running take care of itself.

Tramps

Never let a physicist drive the van.

Who knew? Big grin

BTW, I have a hyper-sensitive gag reflex.  (It's one of my problems in running in warm temps.) I gag at the smell of taking out the garbage, even.  As much fun as it sounds, spending time in a van with a group of aromatic runners...well...you know.  Tight lips

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

I've sure missed Mustang Sally around these parts! Big grin

I love relays!  I so hope I can do another . . .

Here are tips none of which are about training:

1.  Buy you own headlamp!  Get a really, and I mean really powerful one.  Seeing is really useful while running.  Seeing far is really useful when trying to run fast.  Do not skimp on the headlamp candles!  You need your own for two reasons.  First, the one in the van is likely to be relatively weak.  Second, after the first runner it will be so gross you will not want to touch it let alone wear it!

2.  Bring your own vest.  This has been noted by others.  Same as with the headlamp, after one use it will be totally gross!

3.  Have somebody bring a power converter so that you can attach Christmas lights to the top of the van.  You and 300 other people will be driving white 15 person vans that all look the same in the dark.  Your wonderful decorations will be totally invisible at night to your runner.  The Christmas lights guarantee your runners know which van is theirs.

4.  Bring glow necklaces to put on your runners.  Just like the vans all runners look the same in the dark.  This way your van can identify your team's runner.

5.  Bring Cliff bars or your favorite similar high energy snack.  I guarantee you will need it!  Otherwise you are at the mercy of food stops and whatever your van mates thought should be on board.

6.  As others have mentioned bring something to put your stuff into between legs.  The initially neat well organized van will look like a garbage dump before you are done.  If you want to have any hope of finding those nice clean, dry socks you packed they better be in a nice clean easy to find gym bag or the like.

Have a blast!  These things are so much fun.  My favorite race of the year as the Reach the Beach Relay.  You will love the whole thing.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Bumping this thread for purely selfish reasons. Evil Ragnar NY is less than a week away...

I'm runner 5 and we have a 9:30am start. So my legs are:

leg 5: 4.3 miles (hard) at 12:22pm

leg 17: 4.9 miles (moderate) at 12:07am

leg 29: 3.9 miles (moderate) at 8:09am

I've started my packing list. I'm good on clothes and such; it's just the food I'm a bit shaky on. I mean, there must be more than just bagels, bananas and peanut butter, right?

lamerunner

Hello. I have only done one, Reach the Beach in 2007, but it was a ton  of fun. I was Runner #2 and ended up  with many miles...the third leg was lengthened due to road construction or something.. so check on the legs. Third leg also finished with a T-storm; felt like Dorothy i the Wizard of Oz and I handed off the #3  and then was whisked into the van.

I second those who say you are fine with a distance base. If you are worried about running in the dark, it might be worth doing that a couple of times, seeing how it feels to wear the head lamp etc. but most likely you will be fine.

In terms of tips:

1. Choose van mates carefully. We did not plan that closely, but we ended up with the more serious runners in Van 1 and more casual in Van 2 and that worked out well. One of my vanmates, a CPA by profession,  had made charts of all the legs with time goals and some of the Van 2 people were a little freaked out. I did not take the charts that seriously; figured a CPA could not help it...

2. Bring your own headlamp and spare batteries. Not sure where you are running, but in rural NH in September, it was darn dark at night.

3. Bring cold weather and rain gear and clean clothes for the end. Sandals are a great idea too.

4. Bring your own favorite foods along with the communal food.   Lots of snacks and maybe a sandwich or two of something you can digest. You will need more than snacks for that long a time.    We also brought some beer and wine and got pizza. The boys seemed to run great after beer and pizza... the ladies not so much. I was ok with the wine but could not handle much pizzza.

5. May be too close tot he race for this, but if there is a local house en route to crash for a couple of hours while your van is "off dity" that can be great. We used our lake house, had some pizza ( the boys mostly), swam  and even showered.  Any place you can stretch our and nap on a bed or couch is great.

6. Don't expect to sleep much; try to go into this as rested as possible.

7.  Don't worry about your hair! Cool

Have fun! Sally is right; this is mostly a social event involving running.

Now I want to run Hood to Coast...

dg.

bumping.    to make this easier to find, to say thanks, to say hi,  and in case anyone has anything else to add!    not that I expect that, this was wonderful.  

I almost forgot to say eek.

: )

...do we get a RR to go with the eek??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I am so. ready.

xor

Hermosaboy's method of packing is very economical.

I agree with the baggie idea.  Is good.

DAMMIT. I replied to zombie thread.

Sorry folks!  As you were.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

I tried to do the baggie method of packing, but found I kept rearranging my outfits at the last minute. Swapping short sleeve tops for long sleeve, shorts for capris, etc.... i suppose if you know ahead of time what the weather will be and can count on that consistently, you can pack ahead of time like that. I'm just glad I had random extra outfit staples that I could mix and match as needed. Didn't bother with the zombies, though. Wink

Debbie, did you see the PM I sent you?

Mariposai

Dg, no new comments here...just remember...this is for the FUN!!!!!!!!!! and NOBODY will care how fast you ran your legs or how bad your hair look the next morning (after being in the same van for over 24 hours we just all learn to gain a new level of love and appreciation for our team mates)

I absolutely LOVE relays. I have not been invited to take part of one for two years...maybe I have to decide to be a team captain so I can make sure I am included. Roll eyes.

Relays are like a "high school slumber party" Grand, fun and memorable.

Enjoy the adventure and come back to tell us the whole story.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dan007

Dan

I absolutely love relays. They're a blast, and are a great team-building and management exercise. I'm amazed at the way total strangers and friends alike can pull together to reach a common goal under demanding circumstances while having fun in the process. As captain of a team in last year's Reach the Beach - New Hampshire last year I had a great time but always had in the back of my mind the logistical issues which, thankfully, were minimal. Strangely, I've done best in those relays where I've jumped in at the last minute to fill in for someone who couldn't make it.

I've done five long-distance relays so far - the Cape Relay (2010 and 2011),  Ragnar New England (2010), Reach the Beach (NH - 2010 and MA 2011).  Of these, Reach the Beach - NH was the best organized, followed by the MA version earlier this year. The Cape Relay was a bit dicey in 2010 but showed improvement earlier this year. Due to some scheduling conflicts I wasn't able to commit to Reach the Beach - NH this September but now that I've resolved those matters I'm looking to get on a team.

#artbydmcbride

I am a champion napper, and I can usually sleep anywhere and any time, but I found earplugs very helpful too.  Some of the younger members of other vans NEVER shut up.  Big grin   And those little neck pillow thingies are awesome!

Runners run