Masters Running

Fridaily, 8.18.23 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters

Just a quickie today - We have to finish packing and then drive through an expected thunderstorm to get on a plane heading to FL. But I did get up early and got out for an EZ 4.7 mile predawn walk in densely-fogged 68° temps, followed by 35 minutes of stretching and core work, all with no reprise of yesterday's damnstring discomfort.

We're looking forward to our return on Sunday evening so we can get ready for house guests who will be arriving on Tuesday.

Have a greta Friday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sounds like mebbe if you give the damstring a little time it could become a hamstring again Jay. I am just waiting for it to warm up enough to go for my 6 miler today. Here's hopin...

Dave59

I'm taking a rest day today. I'm still recovering from covid. According to Garmin I am sleeping well but my body is stressed and not recovering as good as it should at night.

Tomorrow morning it is supposed to be in the 50s so I am resting up to run in that glorious weather. Starting on Sunday we are heading into the "worst heat wave of the summer".

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - I just remembered that you had wanted me to post your pics from the Morgan James concert at the Shalin Liu, so here they are.

May be an image of 4 people and guitar

May be an image of 3 people, saxophone, piano, lighting and violin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks, Jay.  Enjoy the wedding trip!

I would post pictures from this morning’s run here in CB, because it was gorgeous, but the Control C thing isn’t working from my iPad.   I got lost on the same trail in the exact same place as I did last year.  I calmed myself down, remembered what the hikers told me last year, and got back where I belonged.  I was SO careful on the way out, too- it was STRAIGHT!   Oh well.  6.3 miles done.  It was still hard and I overdressed.  48-53 degrees and clear.  I saw what had to be either professional runners training or VERY fast amateurs out on the dirt road.  Lots of dogs being walked and run, too.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - glad, at least, it looks like you'll have Monday off after you get back.

You and DW are pretty special to whomever's tying the knot down there.

I wouldn't go to Florida in the summer for my own wedding.

However, it was so great in November without oppressive temps and the ocean still warm for swimming that we stayed in Daytona a full week instead of the day or two for most places on our family circumnavigation of the Lower 48 in 1983 before the four year Japan sojourn.

With Seattle's first cloud cover since the beginning of the week, temps plunged down into the 50's here too (59F) for the first time since the end of July and, though the 80's are over for a while, the seventies are just fine for the afternoon suntanning at the little lakeside park I like that's starting to become a habit along with beach wading that's like Tom does in the pool, I think, except with sunshine.

. . . make sure you get the underground river swim/dive where you don't surface near the ceiling of the cenote where the bats are flying low for the obvious reasons. We had a few claustrophobic people almost freaking over the fact there was little room from the water's surface and the cenote underground ceiling only a few feet above our heads,,,

Sub - are you nuts?

Maybe neat for someone like our son who spent a summer

as a USFS spelunker on Prince of Wales Island

but who still won't tell me about of the really fun parts.

You'd like him.

ps - had to look up cenote but glad I did. Thanks.

pps - sorry what I said about you above.

KSA - how do you lost when what I remember of Crested Butte

is pretty much above timberline so that, unlike in the dense

Douglas fir forests out here, you can see for miles and miles.

At least it sounds like there were lots of others enjoying

the morn who could have helped out.

Still new enough to the new environs that am able to take various differing routes around the morning to keep finding new things of interest, ,e.g. Fukuoka  ramen shop with the tonkotsu ramen DW likes, as well as avoiding those parts I don't like.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

Thanks for the start, Jay. Busy weekend; enjoy. (And that venue looks very nice.)

Glad you didn't get really lost, KSA.

tet--enjoy the cooler temps

Tammy--those pics yesterday were something.

Hi Marj!  Thanks for popping in to update.  Take care of yourselves.

I started the morning at the car dealer finally bringing the Great Key Fob Saga of 2023 to a close!  (Some of you may remember we bought a new car in January only to find out that because of chip shortage they were issuing only one key fob. Not ideal for cross-country trip to remote areas.) Yup, seven months after we bought it, we got the call yesterday from a local dealer (but not the one we bought it from) that they had a fob available. They do some programming (I suspect it's easier to launch an ICBM than start the electronics on this car) and an hour later, I was done. A bit anti-climatic but we're relieved.

After that, I did a not-quite 22-mile ride. A good little storm came roaring through overnight with lots of thunder and lightning--so no sleep--for a few hours. It left a lot of mostly-small debris on the roads, though there were a couple of trees downed, too. Nice and sunny today, though.

Have a great weekend!

Be safe. Be kind.

wildchild

Carolyn

Good morning, masters!

Tet, Crested Butte is not above tree line.  Around here, treeline is about 11,000 ft, and I think it's similar over there.  Karen, enjoy your stay in our beautiful state!

Holly, good luck with the job opportunity!

Tamster, those fire pictures look scary.  Stay safe!

Yesterday I ran/hiked a beautiful mountain loop that I've done almost every summer for about 10 years now.  I've been wanting to get up there this year, and a woman I don't know from a local Trail Sisters FB group posted that she was planning to go yesterday, so I decided to join her, since none of my other running friends had the day off and the weather forecast looked perfect.  Well, this woman turned out to be slow and not good at altitude (she lives in Denver), so she turned around at a lake at mile 5, and I continued solo.  The trail goes up up up for 7 miles to the continental divide at Devil's Thumb pass, then follows the divide for 2 miles, then goes down at King Lake pass for 7 miles back to the trailhead.  The only person I saw on the divide was a woman hiking up with skis to ski the Skyscraper glacier, which is pretty small this late in the summer!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Tramps whatever you do, do not lose one of the keys! I did that recently and boy are they expensive to replace!

This was just an elliptical morning. Then off to see my orthopedist about my hamstring. I got the rundown I was expecting. He did what he can and now I just need to train according to how I am feeling. Well, yesterday's 8 mile run was fine so that seems promising. Tomorrow is one of the local crazy distance races. This one is 8.4 miles and starts fairly close from my house. I have missed all of the races to date, and if I go to this it will be the first one I make. Good thing I paid for the whole 10 race package at the end of the spring.  Maybe I will make two or even three of them!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hope your hamstring feels better jay

>>>>>>>>Reminds me of The Great Hammy Debate spareribbs started in the '90s

also

Good to hear from henry and marj

===========

low 80s, but humid

...40-min at city park soccerfields.............trailboots.........no cane

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Karen- if you want me to copy and paste a picture from FB to here, let me know.

2.8 miles for me today in 63 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

tets, the dive we did required certified divers and we used tanks but for people scared of tight spaces it was a gong show! I helped with the lights because it was mostly rookie divers. Oh well, that's what you get on holidays.

I got out for my run in less than stellar conditions with winds from 25-32 mph from the South. Ran along the TransCanada so lessen the effect of the wind and managed 6.15 miles. It's a warm one today so I'm now sitting on our back patio, reading a book and waiting for a tree rat to go after my garden tomatoes. I'll fix him ... Have a greight day Masters!

Sub7-  Wind is my most hated thing…..

Holly- I’ll put some pictures up now from this morning and if you could lift a couple, that would be great!

Tet- I was on a very wooded trail at the end of a beautiful dirt road.  You can see peaks all around, but once I was on the trail there were no people in the immediate vicinity.  There would have eventually been some.

Marathon Maniac #957

For Karen....looks beautiful!

May be an image of grass

No photo description available.

May be an image of 1 person, smiling, deer and text that says 'Moose In ATENTIONI This Area ra telephoto lems t you Moose regularly use this area, take precautions avoid conflicts with moose a moose: TUNITY FROMA A moose that sees slowly towards you walks friendly, watch orthese tryi tobe moose aggression: Ears back. hair May ick saout. females with breeding season. lator, Keep pur home. Ifa moose Look t'

May be an image of lake and mountain

Thanks tons, Holly.  It is the bluest sky and really is beautiful.  Cool, clean, dry air (what there is of it).

Tet- you definitely would have probably taken a shuttle from Gunnison up to the ski mountain.  The little town of Crested Butte is actually between Gunnison (30 miles from Gunnison) and the ski resort/mountain.  The mountain is about 2 miles up from town (and I DO mean up).