Masters Running

Hey! It's Sunday! And this is the Aug 3rd Daily! (Read 43 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!

Sorry I didn’t get back in here, yesterday. As soon as I got home, I had to quickly take a shower, get dressed, and get on the road to get to a wedding that was 2 hours away. Then we stayed there until 10:45, which put us home at 12:45 and in bed at 1:00. Today, we have church, then I have to get in a 2 ½ hour run, then we’re picking up my brother-in-law for dinner, tonight. So—this will have to be quick.

First of all—thank you so much your interest in my results…I’m…I don’t know what the right word is…but thanks. Unfortunately, I’m looking forward to seeing the results, too. I had to leave before they had the results posted. I explained that I had to leave and they took down my phone number but I haven’t heard anything and I cannot find anything online. So—I’ll tell you what I know…

The 100 was first. Shoot, I don’t have time to give you the whole lead up, but—when my heat was at the starting line, I was with the guy with the clip board checking out when it would be my turn run. I saw that I was going to be in lane 1, looked up and saw that lane 1 was empty in the current heat and yelled, “Hold on! I’m sorry,” as I got to the line. There was no restart or anything—as soon as I was at the line—the gun went off. I was still thinking about how embarrassed I was half way down the track. Anyway—I think I took 3rd…maybe 4th…I wasn’t really sure where the finish line was and I saw somebody pass me in the far lane…but I’m not sure if we were across the line. I have absolutely no clue what my time was.

The 1500 was right after that. Again—I’m not sure—but I think I won my age group. There’s another long story there, but I really have to get going. My time (on my watch) was 5:00 flat.

The 10K is next week.

Okay—I gotta go! See ya!

///steveP///....hell of a way to start the weekend....

..........stay safe,

and possibly have the cops put a Watch on your home.....

....tramps//..........we will assume you won your AG until futher notice

===========

...60-min bikeride, worked thru 7-up and 7-down gears>>>it ain't Running but I like it

also,

my thanks to whoever invented the HotBath.........added to my TENS treatment it is WONDERFUL>>>>YOWZA......

..............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

So Mike, you registered late, barely made it to the start, and left early. At that rate, they're gonna ban you from future events!  BTW, reading this, I somehow was reminded of Monty Python's track and field bit.

At least it wasn't raining as hard out in North Pole (about 16 miles south of where I am) as it was here in town. 

I want to know how Erika can be 16 miles north of North Pole.   (Good job sticking it out amid all the mud; banana bread and coffee certainly makes it worthwhile.)

Sweet Sweaty 16 for me.  Sopping wet and struggling with overheating from the humidity.  I needed some walk breaks toward the end just to get back. Bleh. 

Be safe. Be kind.

Sounds like good running, Mike. I remember my only track effort a number of years back, running a 4x100 relay on a track in Ann Arbor along with DaveinAA, TimLooney, and MarkGuy (names from the past!), with the inimitable dg9 as a witness.

It was a picture-perfect day out at the metropark for the club's monthly "bagel day" run, with temperatures rising through the 60s, rising sun in a clear blue sky, and the lake like a sheet of glass with no wind at all (a very unusual situation at Stony Creek!). I started out running with Steve (perchcreek), but I've done the paved trail loop around the lake a lot and had worn my trail shoes this morning. So about 2 miles out I branched off into the West Branch trails.

The woods were shady and cool, and fortunately I'd remembered to spray down with repellent, so no problems in that regard. The coolest part was one tree-covered section where the early morning fog was still hanging under the trees. Where the sun was shining through tiny gaps in the leaves, it shot glowing beams of light down across the trail. I just wish I'd had a camera, although it might have been difficult to capture the effect.

Anyway, I finished strong and am now certain that I've recovered from my recent medication-induced funk (maybe more on that later). A good way to end the week (or start a new one, depending on how one's calendar is organized).

How's everyone else doing today?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

That is difficult Steve. Hope it works out for him, and you are kind to help him.

Enke, I had to laugh when I read your post yesterday as it reminded me of Streisand's "Second Hand Rose."  "Even Jake the plumber, he's the man I adore; he had the noive to tell me he's been married before."

Took the Saint with me to the Club at the Lake today and she did her longest run yet, nine miles of hills. Very happy for her. I did my longest also at ten.  We averaged 10:15 to 10:30 for the first 8, but I did 9:44 and 9:04 for the final two, so that made me happy.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Steve - that’s scary takin’ in a schizophrenic brother in need who can become hostile and violent even if on meds. . Maybe get Dr. Henry’s ideas but, in the meantime, possibly condition any stay with you on an immediate psychiatric update evaluation to find out what you need to do to be safe, including locating him elsewhere.  Then you (and he) can blame any conditions of stay, e.g. meds, etc., on  doctors, police welfare, etc. so he won’t take it out on you (but he probably will anyway).

I don’t know what got into me after the scales showed the four pounds lost during last week’s marathon had already come back but four miles in the morning sun.  Unfortunately, it didn’t work. 
              ps - went down to the Olympic Sculpture Waterfront Park for the first time in several years. Huge container ships, luxury tourist liners and ferries coming in-and-out to the backdrop of Mt. Rainier down the bay but no divechief sighting.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

C-R

All the best Steve - that sounds like even Solomon would have a hard time making choices in that situation. I'm sure you'll make the best ones.

Too funny Mike. If you would have waited a bit longer perhaps you could have had a running start for the 100.

Nice ride TW. The Tour de France is still looking for people for 2015.

Sounds like a great run Roch.

16 is 16 Tramps. Work in the bank.

Well done to the Saint and you too Ribs.

I got 11 today and my first 50+ mile week in I can't remember. Happy about that. We have baseball , a picnic and dinner with friends (which I have to prepare) so it may turn to be a busy day. Its sunny and 85 so who's complaining. Its awesome out there and I get to spend it with family so that's great.

Cheers and have a great Sunday.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

SteveP I wish you well dealing with your brother.

evanflein you know you do not have to run a race just because it is there!

enkephalin drag about #19.  Good luck finding that plumber!  Is there a website plumberhookups.com or some such?  

Speaking of "you do not have to do a race just because it is there" I skipped yesterday's crazy distance race (this one was 5,85 miles) because it was raining.  Instead I went out and did 12 with 3 miles at tempo pace (I had intended 5 at tempo but could not hold it).  Now, before you all start piling up and make fun of me for not running the race I just want to point out I am apparently not the only person with a no running in the rain policy!  Last week's race had 178 people in it and this week it was down to 112.  By my count about a third of the local runners see running and rain the way I do; two things that should never happen together!  So nah!  Make that double nah!  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

evanflein you know you do not have to run a race just because it is there!

Speaking of "you do not have to do a race just because it is there" I skipped yesterday's crazy distance race (this one was 5,85 miles) because it was raining.  Instead I went out and did 12 with 3 miles at tempo pace (I had intended 5 at tempo but could not hold it).  Now, before you all start piling up and make fun of me for not running the race I just want to point out I am apparently not the only person with a no running in the rain policy!  Last week's race had 178 people in it and this week it was down to 112.  By my count about a third of the local runners see running and rain the way I do; two things that should never happen together!  So nah!  Make that double nah!  

meow/meow - since weather has nothing to do with how much exercise running provides for those of us who live in rain country, is the reason you bagged a 5.85-mi race for a 12 mile training run (also in the rain?) because you can’t run as fast in the rain and you’d be disappointed in your finish times?  However, it would not only seem that everyone has the same handicap but also that, with 1/3 of the field chickening out, I mean skipping the race, you’d have better AG chances. Our ski coach forcing us to train in the rain seemed to give us an advantage when it rained on race day. In fact, we came to prefer it when it did. What gives?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Enkie, I am so sorry to read about the plumbing issue.

Tomwhite, you rock.

Aamos, she is going wild with her miles. I want to be like her when I grow up.

Denise, congrats on your race yesterday. You are getting faster by the day, sistahh. I am so excited that I am going to be seeing you and other RA runners in a little bit over a month.

Spareribs, the Saint is also rocking with her miles. Isn't it fun to run with your spouse? I sure enjoy the time the Easy Pacer and  I run together.

MikeE, you are our rock star. Karin, you are too.

I woke up a little bit too late to fit in the 13 miles I wanted to do before it got too hot. So, I ran 4 miles with the Easy Pacer at a steady pace, then I ran up Kermel grade for an additional 6 miles with 5 at tempo. 10 miles total for today and 46 miles total for the week. I am happy with that.

Go racers go!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Ha, Tramps... it's North Pole, not THE north pole. NP is a small community about 14 miles SE of Fairbanks, located between Ft. Wainwright and Eielson AFB, so a lot of folks in the service live there. They go all out with the Christmas theme everywhere, even the street lights are designed like candy canes. I took Holly out to the Santa Claus House when she was here. This is the Santa Claus Half Marathon, and it's a fund raiser for the North Pole High School cross country team. The former RD was a guy who was our vice president of finance and has since moved to Colorado. Anyway, TwoKitty, the reason I do this race is because it's #6 in our series (out of 8, ending with the Equinox). So, even though it was raining, a lot of us who otherwise wouldn't run it, were there slogging thru the mud.

Hey Doug! I remember when you guys did that relay on the track. That was pretty cool. Nice run for you today, too.

Ribs, its ksrunr, and he's still posting every day over at Kickrunners. Still fast, too.

Steve, that's pretty scary. I don't know that I'd be willing to open my home to him. Tet has some good comments.

I know they're not anywhere near contained, but I don't hear much about the PNW fires these days. I guess the news moves on to other things, I guess. I hope your area is staying clear.

C-R, well put. Enjoy the busy and beautiful day with your family!

Legs only a little sore today. Will head out for a few miles (10 to 13, we'll see) in a bit. Today is partly cloudy, mid-60's so far and looks nice. Total turnaround from yesterday!

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike – but did you beat that guy from your DW’s reunion?

Roch – nice to see you, and I hope Steve (Perch) is doing well.

Steve – I agree with Tet. Good luck and I hope he moves on quickly.

Twocat – so, you didn’t want to run 5.85 miles in the rain, so you ran 12 miles instead?

Mariposai – nice week!

10 miles for me this morning. Like C-R, this is the first week I have broken 50 miles in I don’t know how long.

We have tickets to see Kenny Loggins tonight at our favorite outdoor venue, but DH is wimping out because it is a Sunday night and he is feeling like relaxing at home instead, so DD and I will go. It looks to be a lovely evening to sit outside and listen to music.

Enjoy the gift, folks!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps' version of Mike's race has Benny Hill music playing in the background

Yeah for The Saint!

I managed a run yesterday and today - a wonderful treat!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

It's been a busy family reunion weekend and I haven't kept up on what's going on here.  Friday evening, we had 23 people at our campsite for our traditional sloppy joe's and s'mores.  Saturday, there were a few more added to the crew for the traditional potluck meal.  A highlight was the appearance of a second cousin that none of us had ever met and my sister found on ancestry.com.

When my son was little, 30+ years ago, I got to thinking about the fact that my dad, me, and my son were all named Thomas.  For that year's reunion, I had hats made with the names, Tom1, Tom2, and Tom3 printed on the front.  They were a big hit.  Now that my son has a son Thomas, it was time to continue what was started at that long ago reunion.

The hats were as big a hit as the originals were at that long ago reunion.  It did make us a bit sad that Tom1 had been gone for many years and couldn't be part of this picture.

This morning, it was in the mid to high 50s and almost calm.  My brother Dave (who used to post here as selb3) and I went for a run that has become a traditional part of whenever we are both in Ludington.  It included two normal high lights.  One is to run out to the end of the breakwall that goes about 3/4 of a mile into Lake Michigan and go around the lighthouse at the end.  The second highlight was to run through the local cemetery and say "hi" to our dad and some other relatives.  It was 5 miles at about a 10:40 pace.

After the run, some of the people started talking basketball.  There were a nephew and niece, ages 17 and 18.  Next in age was my daughter's boyfriend, late 20s, my son, 34, and brother Dave, 53.  All of them played basketball in highschool and have periodically played pickup games since.  I never played basketball in highschool and it's probably been 40-50 years since I participated in a pickup game.  When my son was little, I'd occasionally join him out in the driveway to shoot around and play the occasional game of horse.  Shortly after they left for the basketball court, I decided to drive over there and see what was going on.  Well, this 70 year old ended up joining them in a couple of 3 on 3 games.  We ended up with one win for each team.  Since my only motion for many years has been running forward,  it was a bit different to stop and start, make quick lateral changes of direction, and occasionally run backward.  It was a lot of fun but, I expect, that tomorrow and a few days after that ,I will be nursing numerous painful muscles.  The fun the three generations of us had will be worth any pain I have.

Well, maybe my next post I can get back to a running post.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mixed results for the AK 10K Classic. No pain and fastest running in 5 or 6 weeks so that was good. It was also great to get out of town to do a different event, great weather too. 60-65 and clear. Course was moderately rolling and lots of turns and a large hill at the end. 15th overall, with top 3 in the 30-31 range, 5th masters and just 3rd in 50-59 age group. 37:04. Not what I had wanted but sort of expected following the injury downtime and all.