Masters Running

Saturday daily (Read 40 times)

Mariposai

Goodness, the Saturday daily if being started by a westy. No running here, but I did race a 5k yesterday. Took first place in age group and 6th OA. Not bad time wise (26:01) considering that I ran a marathon only a week ago. I won a cool shirt with a logo that was drawn by one of the students at the Indian Boarding School.

Off to deliver the wedding cake and then playing in the dirt in the garden. I have one corner of my yard that I am targeting this weekend.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Mariposai, that is an interesting phenomenon, being able to run a fast, short race, just after a marathon.  There is a window right after the marathon where you are fit as can be, although the body is tired, and as long as you don't hurt yourself you can run short distances very well in that time frame.  Well done.

Five easy miles this morning, finally over my fatigue from my recent trip.  Ran the last mile with a good friend who is one of the top young fast runners in the Metroplex.  He's the one who won the Cowtown 50K in 3:10.  It's lots of fun running with him.  The two of us ran for about 45 minutes today, the difference being that he got in almost 8 miles!  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Mariposai - nice racing!

I biked 2 miles down to a local church where my friend teaches yoga and Pilates on Saturday mornings and did her class.  I think I will make this a habit, and the drop-in fee is only $5.  I could sure use some work on my balance and flexibility.

This is the friend who I will be teaming up to do the triathlon in July.  She had brought her bike with her, so after the class we went for a run and then a bike ride along the river, looking over the route that the tri will take.

So, 1 hour of yoga/Pilates, 3 miles running, 13.25 miles biking - a very fun mix-it-up workout!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Well, it feels good to finally do better than expected.  I think it's been well over a year since that happened. 

Pat Kellerman Thumb Run 2013:

First time for me at this race but I met a 78 year old guy who was doing his 26th, so it has been going on a while.  I haven't run 'fast' in a long time.  No fartleks or speed workouts.  Everything has at a 9-11 minute pace.  I was pretty confident that I could run an 8:00 pace which I had at my last 5k on 12/31, so that was my goal.  Of course, I have absolutely zero feel for pace right now so I was highly surprised when I hit mile 1 in 7:20.  There were 3 pretty women in front of me and I was disappointed I wasn't in good enough shape to keep up with them.  Could have used the extra motivation.  (One was dark tan, one was medium tan and one was whiter than me.)

Perfect day for a race.  Sunny.  45-50°.  Very little breeze.  Flat course.  Mile 2 was 7:38.  Not fading too bad yet. 

Mile 3 was 7:48.  Even though I was slowing down, I did catch the white woman.  The line went through my head, "Where are all the white women?" (Blazing Saddles.)  Maybe I could have sprinted by her at the end, but she was in her 20's and a bunch of people were cheering for her, so I didn't even try.

Last part was 58 seconds.  Finish time was 23:45.

1 of 2 in the 50-54 age group.  13 out of 40-50 people total.  (There was also a 10k run and a 5k walk so almost 100 people there.)

Finish line had bagels, chips, bananas, cookies (some homemade), water, coffee (yippee!!), pop, Michelob Ultra and Bud Light.

It was an 85 mile drive out to Bad Axe and I don't usually go that far anymore for a small, short race, but I was really in the mood to give a 5k a go.  This was the closest one I could find.  Plus it was a pretty drive and I don't have anything else to do.  I cut the grass last night and the grandkid went north for the weekend.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/317800195

Terrific 5Ks for both Posie and Dave!  Congrats on the AG wins!!!!

Nice brick, Holly!

Hi Ribs!

9 miles of running today, with a 12.4K trail race at the end.  Didn't expect much, as my base is still weak and I'm creeping up to the older section of my 50-59 AG, so I wasn't disappointed with my 4/7 AG finish, especially with one of the 50 yr olds coming in 6th woman OA.  Felt pretty strong and enjoyed the course, so am pretty happy about the outing.

Must head out to the garden to get some transplanting done.

ttfn

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings from Chicago, where we're visiting for a wedding. Travelling w/o computer, so smart phone very useful, but small pain to type on. Voice typing somewhat useful.

7.25 miles along Lakeshore drive. Very cool weather and everything felt good. Great place to run. Went from Soldiers field to the Navy Pier.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

Go racers go!!!!!!!!!11

5/24-26 tetsujin - Pigtails 150-mile Challenge (trail run - Seattle) - thongs

05/25-05/27 fatozzig - Western States Memorial Day Training Weekend (70 miles), Auburn, CA

05/27 Ileneforward - Laguna Hills half marathon, CA

I wonder how the taperboy, aka tetsujin is doing with his 150 mile Challenge run this weekend!

fatozzig is doing a 70 miler too!!!

You people make me feel like I am an under achiever!!! Good for you!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

No run, today...Ryan's graduation ceremony was, today, so we drove down to watch it.  Pretty dang cool.  Man, it seems like 4 years just flew by.

I'm wiped out...good night, everybody!

evanflein

Light day for a Saturday, everyone must be out enjoying the weekend. I know we were! It was absolutely Gorgeous here today. Got a lot of yard work done and a 5.7 mile run in 75 F temps. It was hot but felt wonderful! Grilled top sirloin steaks and asparagus with Alaska red potatoes (yeah, late in the season for those but still good!) and Gorgonzola cheese. Yum. We seem to be eating pretty well these days for not having a fridge.

20 miles on tap for tomorrow. Not sure where to go yet but I'll figure it out.

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave - Congrats on the AG win! You are FAST!

Heme - nice racing!

Mike - Congratulations to Eric!

Erika - about time you got some warm temps!

I made Mexican-marinated grilled chicken for tacos last night, but as I was slicing it up, DS was running out the door to a friend's house.  He showed up later in the evening, and packed up the whole dinner, chicken, tortillas, cheese, sc and quac, and took it over to the friend's.  He said, "I was bragging about how good my mom's cooking was and the guys all wanted to try it."  I felt for a moment like Mariposai.....Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."