Masters Running

Let's have a Sunday Daily - 5.19.13 (Read 50 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone,

Welcome back home, CNY. How did the kiddo do at the meet yesterday?

I hope you can sneak in that good, long run today, Stumpy.

Have a great trip, C-R. Where are you off to?

Sorry to learn about your uncle, TomW. 'Sad and sweet' has a nice ring to it.

Congrats to Prime Rib, Spareribs! I hope the celebration yesterday and last night was terrific.

Good luck and have fun in Marblehead today, Denise.

Excellent racing yesterday, TomS - congrats on the AG placement!

Twocat, a silent auction is when each item has a sheet on which people can write their bids for that item - bids aren't called out as at a live auction, which is why it is called 'silent.' They can go back often to see if someone else has come along and put in a higher bid, and then decide to increase their bid or not. The highest bidder on the sheet when the auction ends gets the item. We sold all 8 rain barrels that way yesterday, and most of them had multiple bids. I don't know yet how much we raised, but I'd guess about $5-600.

I've seen D,D & D. Our favorite breakfast dive wouldn't qualify because the food isn't unique - it is just very well prepared, tasty, and cheap, and we're served by friendly and attentive folks.

DW woke up at 2 this morning, and I woke up too. She went back to sleep, but I didn't. There may be a nap in my future, if there is time today. Another 6.5 racewalking miles this morning, just to make a point. In about half an hour, I'll be heading out to set up for our judged racewalking races this morning.

Have a greta day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks jay, . . . and, in a different way, denise and tom.
      8 miles from 3am - 6am after yesterday’s 36-miles at different walking paces and testing trekking poles out along with various thongs, sandals, crocs, etc. on each of the five+ mile laps in the Redmond Watershed 12-hour.
      Dove casually sneaked up on us walkers about a half hour after the 7am start with lots of valuable advice for this novice century aspirant. When I asked if she was running her home town Capital City Marathon in Olympia, WA today (Sunday), she thought so but, “maybe volunteer if I can push it to 50 miles today.”  Her late start and dilly-dallying with us might make that kinda hard so I suggested, “well, maybe instead of walking/talking with us, you better start running.”  She did, and exceeded 50 miles with time to spare.
      My day’s success wasn’t measured in time or miles but couldn’t have been better with no blisters, chafing, knee pain, or anything else to excuse whatever happens this coming weekend at the Pigtails 150-mile challenge but whether it turns out to be 100K, 70m, the desired 100m or more-or-less. it’s gunna be the experience of a lifetime that I never thought I would have at this stage. By keeping moving for all 12 hours, I outlasted four others in my new AG <<<(70/70)>>> and got a first first AG in more than 30 years.
      Have fun posie and your entourage.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Hope the judged race walking goes well Jay and thanks for the start! The kiddo did well yesterday although the relay won't go on to the Western/Central Ma. champs next weekend. Good experience no less and they had a blast. The girls team won the overall champs and that was thrilling to watch.

Go Tet! Nice new age group debut too.

I ran loops up at the reservoir with Iron J this morning---10 miles total and we chattered without pause the whole way. We had one of those runs that just feel great and all of a sudden we were done. We saw lots of walkers and runners out communing with nature as well and enjoying the nice trails and rolling hills. Now it's time to garden before the rain comes and then go see super-granny for our Sunday afternoon hang-out time.

Happy Sunday all!

King of PhotoShop

Thanks Jay. Last night's ceremony was fun, although the heat and humidity were unbearable for two hours. But we did get some great pictures of Prime Rib.  I always get choked up when I hear "Pomp and Circumstance," don't know why that is.

Speaking of music, they had a women's group singing a cappela, who were just awesome. And what made it even better is that they had no instrumental accompaniment.

Late dinner in downtown Dallas, and didn't get to bed til midnight, very rare for me.  Overslept, but then dragged my butt over to the park and ran 4.4 miles with my RP. Late but decent start to the day.  Spareribs

coastwalker while I know what a silent auction is I am still puzzled as to what a rain barrel silent auction is.  Did you literally auction off rain barrels?  If that is what you really did why would anybody want one?  Anyway I am glad you raised a pile of money.

Dave59 just wondering, should we be rooting for your Wisconsin weather streak to keep gong or stop?  Confused

Mariposai fleet feet to you and your family in today's race!

Holly S. I am pretty sure it was food poisoning.  It came on and left too fast to be a virus. But, rest up yesterday I did!

tselbs nice race yesterday.  Congratulations on making your under 30 goal.

Mustang Sally welcome to the "I am an idiot club!"  I have been a lifetime member and as they say membership has it perils!

divechief sounds like it was a great trip.

tetsujin209 the great thing about running is a X0 age is not depressing!  It is a new age group!  Congratulations on your AG win.

CNYrunner you sure do heal up fast and fast!  Nice run.

The good news is that I am fully recovered from the food poisoning.  The bad news is that it is has been raining all day around here.  So I broke out my no running in the rain policy.  Instead I hit the elliptical.  Tomorrow is supposed to be nicer, at least in the afternoon.  Boy I hope so!  The weather man has a pretty depressing forecast for the north east for the next 5 days or so.  Cloudy all week with a chance of rain every day.  Seattle would be drier than it is around here.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thanks, Jay, I did.

A little over 9 miles on one of the nice Greenway trails that Charlotte has been nice enough to provide.  Right at about 10 minute pace.  So happy with the distance and pace, although I think I MAY have gone a mile or so further than would have been smart (not that it usually matters).  The previously sore foot felt fine, but the AT on the other was a little twingy.  Foot propped on an ice bag while enjoying breakfast and the Sunday paper and things feel pretty good.

Just in case there is any doubt that we have some pretty special folks around here, there's someone who enters his first 12 hour race, does the whole thing, AND finishes 1st in new AG (which just happens to be 70+)  ShockedShocked

TC--to catch rain in, silly.  Jay's were specially decorated versions.  there was a picture a short while ago.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Maniac 505

Tet: congrats on your great training run.  and congrats to Dove.  I love that girl.

best of luck to all the racers this weekend, specially to the Posi clan.

getting my feet back on dry land,  easy 5 miles for me today.

Today was fun, fun, fun!!  JCC Sprint Triathlon in Marblehead with lots of members of TriFury!!

250 yd salt water pool swim, 10 mile bike, 3.5 mile run .....beautiful views of the ocean and gorgeous homes but mostly lots of wonderful, friendly people participating, volunteering and spectating!!

Tet = very very very cool!!

TW - sorry ....sad and sweet sounds quite fitting

Today is a very good day - I hope you all experience some joy in your day as well!!

denise

tet, that's a lot of miles in 12 hours.  Congrats on the first 1st in AG in 30 years.  It's neat that Dove got over 50 miles.  CNY, I'm glad to hear your son did well.  Also, nice 10 miles.  ribs, your comment "Speaking of music, they had a women's group singing a cappela, who were just awesome. And what made it even better is that they had no instrumental accompaniment." sounds like something I would say on purpose and have people looking at me like they didn't know if I was trying to be funny or didn't know any better.  deez, great sprint tri.

This morning, it was about 50° and almost calm.  I got in 3 miles at a 10:46 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

New skirt in town

TET!  Bravo!!!  You da man!!

Re: rain barrels.  I think they are used to collect rain and conserve water...useful for watering the garden or lawn when there is a ban on watering.  I think?

Yesterday, I ran a good 14 miles.  According to the Hanson's marathon method, which I re-read, it seems I've been running my long runs too slow.  So yesterday, I picked up the pace a smidge, and finished 14 miles at an average 9:01 pace. As a result today, I was TIRED!  I ran a nice slow 4-mile recovery run and then went to my yoga class, expecting to relax for the rest of the day. Alas, it was not to be, because DS wanted to go on a bike ride.

It was his first time on the bike path, and after a nice lecture from me about how to use the bike path (stay to right, always slow down when you come up on someone, say "On your left" if you are passing, and look behind you if you are going to pass), we were off.  Mind you, he only learned to ride his bike last week.  He rode, and I ran behind him at varying paces, ranging from running really fast to catch up to him on the downhills, to running really fast to help set him right after crashing into the brush at the side of the bike path, to running really fast to make sure he stopped at the stop signs.  I managed to get another 3.5 unplanned miles in that way.  Now I'm truly exhausted!!

Here's a picture I managed to snap.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

King of PhotoShop

Tselbs, I was thrilled beyond belief to get both my sons on it.  "What do you think a capella means Dad?"  Spareribs

Tetsujin, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Speaking of Pigtalis, guess where I was today...  Yup, Lake Youngs.  So you are trying for 100miles there next week, cool!  And is Dove going for the 3 day, 200 mile option??    I only did one loop, 9,1 miles, and unfortunately had a malfunction with my knee and had to walk 2 of those miles.  Strange how the pain went away though and I could run the last one.  Bodies are weird.  Remi saw his first deer, and didn't know what to make of it.  It was behind a fence, so he couldn't get at it.  The next one we saw was a big buck and Remi was a bit intimidated.  Then I went to IKEA and ate 900 calories worth of Swedish meatballs, gravy and mashed potatoes.  I really like this perk of running.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Tet, what a way to start in your new age group!  Congrats!  And yay for Dove's 53 miles too!  Hope the Posie clan have a good marathon day today.

Deez, I loved your description about your Boston run the other day.  Sounds very moving and special.  Thanks for sharing it with us!

Congrats to Prime Rib on his graduation!    My niece graduated from U of Wyoming last weekend, and Pomp and Circumstance kind of choked me up, too.

Divechief, your trip sounds wonderful.  I haven't been diving since we were in Belize a year and a half ago, but I'd like to go again. It's such a different world underwater.

I did a 21 mile trail run today and the weather was perfect - mid 50s, sunny, and breezy.   Robin, if you're doing your LRs too slow, then I'm REALLY doing them too slow...   I don't buy the concept of long runs of only 16-18 miles for marathon training, though - I prefer to run longer.  And I'm training for a trail race so it makes sense to train on trails, where the pace is slower by default.  Time to think about tapering now, I guess!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

My day’s success wasn’t measured in time or miles but couldn’t have been better with no blisters, chafing, knee pain, or anything else to excuse whatever happens this coming weekend at the Pigtails 150-mile challenge but whether it turns out to be 100K, 70m, the desired 100m or more-or-less. it’s gunna be the experience of a lifetime that I never thought I would have at this stage. By keeping moving for all 12 hours, I outlasted four others in my new AG <<<(70/70)>>> and got a first first AG in more than 30 years.

Excellent!

Busy day for me with LR, gardening, DD's softball team photos, then later a softball game, then to a local festival/carnival so DD could ride lots of crazy rides...Smile

21.25 miles for me this morning, and only a few creaks from the knee!  Slow as dirt but very, very happy with that.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Ohh taper boy, another surprise race that turn out so well for you. Congrats on your AG win also.

Yeah, Dove is one special girl! I love her!

Precious picture of Robin son's first biking experience. Cherish those adventures because before you know it they turn 21!

Well do you guys want to see what my son Daniel, friend Brandon and I did for Daniel's 21'st b-day celebration (which was last Monday). We ran a marathon together! This was both young men's first marathon. They ran it remarkably well considering the amount of training they put into this. This was a special marathon  therefore, I will write a race report later. The weather was spectacular, gorgeous route and phenomenal organization.

We skipped all the way to the finish line, which gave us the cheers of all there.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard