Masters Running

May 14th daily...a special day for many of us!!! (Read 493 times)

Mariposai

For many of us this is a very special weekend...a dream race, a long run, a run because we can do it!!!

CoolBig grin

for me?

This marks the 200th year of independence for my native land, Paraguay. 

Did you know that my native country's independence day  would NOT have happened without the clever girls who plotted the whole freedom event???

Much to tell..but not here...just smiling big here...since the whole universe back home is celebrating this past historical event.

but...

I relish and honor...my ancestors who risked their blood for freedom for my native land...

being a strong STOCK from that freedom goddess bunch!!! I celebrate them girls today... they so...paved the path for me....

How will I celebrate the 200th anniversary of my native's country freedom???

a longggggggggggg run, of course!!!

How will YOU celebrate your "own"freedom???

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Mariposai – what an inspiring way to start our day! 

No running for me this morning – 50 min. of P90X Shoulders and Arms instead.

Then we’re off to take DS to his guitar lesson, DD to her golf lesson, then DS to his golf lesson.  I hope to watch closely and learn some things…

Good Luck, Racers!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks Maraposai for the inspiring start! I am off to my 25th colege reunion (just three miles away) to march with my fellow classmates in the Ivy Day parade. Lots of tears, giggles, and time travel on the way.

Hi Holly!

Run later....Good Luck racers and relayers!

Good morning ladies! Thank you for the history of your country's freedom Mariposai. We take so much for granted and forget about the brave ones who fought hard to give us liberty.

How do you feel today, Holly? Relief? Sad? Excited? All of the above? Can't wait to hear about the first day on your new job.

Have fun at your reunion Karin!

No run yet this morning. It's raining and windy and I'm getting things ready for my big pasta party tonight. I had the pleasure of meeting Slo's beautiful wife and daughter at the expo last night (and Slo, of course) and I'm really glad that they've decided to join my family and friends for dinner tonight. The forecast for tomorrow is not real good. And this will be a "git 'er done" half marathon for me because I haven't trained well and just want all the injuries to go away. But I'm excited for Slo. He's trained hard and well, and this could be the one! I'm sorry Tim couldn't make this trip. Was really looking forward to getting a picture of "the competitors" this weekend. Big grin

Good luck Mary and all our other racers this weekend!

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning. Yes, thank you, Mariposai, for reminding us all to be thankful for our freedom. My dad served in Korea and Vietnam and I have a son who served in Iraq. I was "fortunate" to serve my military time in Minot, ND...I might have had it worse than both of them. My son ran 32:06 in a very tactical 10k. At one point the whole pack almost came to a complete stop while they waited for somebody to take the lead. I really do not like watching that kind of race. But it might work out good for my son because he has two big events, today. Jlynne--that's really nice of you to open your house and provide a nice meal for everybody, tonight. Don't forget to get some rest, though--you have a race, too. Have a great day, everybody! Good luck to everybody racing!
            Dave59

So M.Posai, do you still have any connections in Paraguay, family, friends?  When did you (or your family) end up in North America?

I ran 6.5 miles this morning in a pretty good pace for a run of the mill training run.  Windy, rainy, and 55° made it a great run because it keeps me cooled and fresh (once you get past the discomfort of the first mile.)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Mariposai - Wish I had known that before I aborted my long run this morning. My Mom's family traces its roots back to Portugal (Fresco family name). Was feeling really sluggish and carrying an extra 4lbs of Conan Pizza, Chicken Wings, & Beer! LOL  The Fresco's left Portugal in the 1490's for Holland, then to England in the 1800's, and the US in the late 1800's/early 1900's. My Maternal Grandparents arrived in the US 1910-1918 time period. Thanks for reminding us all about the sacrifices many have made for Freedom, especially in light of what is going on in the Middle East and other parts of the world. I have so much respect for those who are facing guns unarmed as has been happening. Takes true courage. At least I could fire back during my two tours in Vietnam as a Seabee.

bob e v
                2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

.....Be Proud mari//..........UpTheParagauans!!!!!!!!!

======

.......I'm proud I can still tell when a storm is going to hit.....

32min poolrun........just got in the car when the first BOOM!!!!!! hit

(which clears the pool)

............good running guys

eta-

thanks for YourService

bobev

mikeE

and Sarge

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Way to start us today Mariposai!

12 generations ago (1632) Greatx9 Grandpa landed in Boston with 92 other Puritans to free theirselves from the Church of England and the rule of Royal family.  

Say yes to Freedom! 

5 easy paced miles with DW on a rainy 62F morning... so we could be free from high blood pressure and cholesterol without medicine.... 

Despite my very satisfing run in Louisville at the Kentucky Derby Mini I feel very unmotivated right now.  I guess I need to sign up for a race and get back on a plan.    

Have a Wonderful Weekend!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Very inspiring start today Mariposi.

Out for 4.1 miles today @ 8:20 pace.  Working my way back from a foot injury so was a walk/run interval but more running than walking [2 15 min runs with 2 min walk in between overall time was about 34 mins.].  Temps in th high 50F's and overcast so very humid run.  First time since I started again that I had no discomfort in the foot. Big grin   It is definitely a good sign.  Have a great day.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

evanflein

Happy {{{}}} to Mariposai as she celebrates her homeland's freedom. Courage and heroes come in many forms, we all owe so much to so many for the life we have now. Enjoy your long run today! Then it's taper time for you, right??

I hope the weather improves for you, Jlynne and Slo. It's one thing to deal with the actual marathon itself and all the things you need to remember, do and keep track of. To add sucky weather conditions to it must makes it that much more of a challenge. Have fun tonight!

Busy day with the kids, Holly! Are you in a sort of taper mode? Or recovery mode still? Your next race is also June 4, right? That dam 50k thing? Smile

Sarge, sometimes another target is just what you need. I think that's part of what's behind the whole marathon maniac thing...

I took a rest day yesterday. It's been awhile so figured it was time. When I can do that and feel good about it, I know it was time. Today is absolutely gorgeous and finally it looks like the wind has settled down. I'll get out for just an easy 7 miler today, then do some more cleanup around here. We had some really windy days this spring (and end of winter) so there are birch branches all over the yard still.  

New skirt in town

I've been slowly rehabbing my plantar fascia, with some kickass workouts that don't really include much running.  I've been walking, I've been hiking, I've been yoga-ing, and I've been doing functional resistance work out the wazoo!  Feeling strong and feeling the PF easing.  The hiking and yoga seem to be particularly good...I can feel the muscles in my feet working to achieve balance and function.  I managed to move up to 25 miles last week, although about 1/2 were walking/hiking.

Today I did my PT exercises, then walked/hiked 3.19 miles on the trails in a hilly, rocky local park.  Then I headed off for a personal training session with my sister.  We could barely lift our arms high enough to slip on our jackets at the end of it all!  I still wanted to get in some yoga, though, so I popped in my Shiva Rea Yoga Shakti DVD and did the "Lunar Flow" practice. It's pretty quiet and meditative, but it was a nice way to end a long workout session!  There's a part of that particular practice that does "single nostril breathing", which I'm sure is terrific for focus and concentration, but I just can't handle it.  I fast forward to more movement.  I'm sure true yogis would sniff (with one nostril?!)  at such dabbling, but it just didn't serve any purpose for me to spend the time simply feeling ridiculous.  In the end, I felt greta and celebrated my freedom from single nostril breathing!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

YAY YAY Paraguay!!

I was going to do yoga but I got all tied up Smile

Good luck to those who are racing!

Is this Greenbay weekend?

5 miles this morning. Legs felt good but I was tired after two 14 hr days of setting tile in my bathroom reno.  All done. Now for grouting.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

wildchild

Carolyn

Why am I not surprised that Mariposai's ancestors were freedom goddesses? Smile

Jeanne and Slo, I looked at the forecast for Green Bay and it looked okay for tomorrow - hope they're right!

Speaking of forecasts, ours is calling for 3-5 more inches of snow tonight.  Right now it's just foggy and misty, and I took the dogs out for 3 damp miles around the neighborhood.

Robin, how do you breathe through one nostril? I'm assuming you can't use your hand to block the other one? That woudn't seem very zen-like.

Perch, post a picture of your bathroom tile job when it's done.  Any word on the job in Michigan? (You might have already said, and I missed it)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Wow, Posie... that's certainly a big reason to celebrate!  Thanks for the inspirational start to today's thread.  Enjoy the day!

I hear over at Kick that OM is rocking her relay!

Am looking forward to hearing about all the races this weekend!

I was supposed to do 17+ miles today, according to my schedule, and as I'd planned an out-and-back, started with dropping off water at the half way point.  The day turned out to be one of the warmest, and certainly the most humid, we've had all spring, and I knew 5 mile in that it would be a slog.  I'd have cut the turn around short, but I really needed those water bottles for the return trip, so hauled my sorry butt  the full distance out.  At least I was rewarded for the effort with company for part of the return trip..... there were all kinds of runners on the trail today that I knew and an acquaintance caught up with me on the return and stuck with me for 3 miles or so.  I packed it in at 16.4 miles and walked the last mile back to the car.  Next time I'll drop the water bottles at the 6 mile point, and leave myself some options.Undecided Live and learn!

And now taper time begins!

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!