Masters Running

Help!!!! DW wants to buy a new car, maybe Prius. (Read 29 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

All - with DW, I mean, us looking at buying hybrid electric/gas car such as the Toyota Prius of interest to DW and, of course, me too to replace our struggling 2013 hybrid Chevy Volt we got in 2016 and that's been limited to its daily ~30 mile overnight charge ever since the head gasket blew in February 2019, any information/experience re hybrids or advice and ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

= = = = = = = = = = = =

<<<the rest of the story>>>

with the good September weather, . . . so far, keeping Seattle from looking anything like fall yet, I'm not minding a bit the fact that, with the nearby EV charging station (3 blocks) being out-of-commission and no EV chargers at our sr. housing, I need to walk to various places up to eight or nine blocks away over on the First Hill and second one we're on above downtown Seattle as I get to see lots of places I otherwise wouldn't know about, e.g. this morning's restaurant featuring baklava I do like, humus that I don't like, gyros that I've only heard of and many never (shawarma, palafel, baba ghannouj, etc.).

However, with the first dew of the season being hard to unfog as the car has no heat or defroster and with our upcoming nine months of steady rain and mist on the horizon, I'm agreeing with DW to get a car that's pretty much ready to go anytime we are, in particular the Toyota Prius ones she is interested in and, of course, me too, or other hybrid that, I guess, pretty much self charge themselves along with being able to use the EV stations I'm knowing by heart by now.

Therefore, since I'm not a car guy so anything that could said by anyone with a hybrid or experience with one would be news to me and appreciated.

Thanks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

If you aren't taking long trips, why get a hybrid and not a regular EV?  Do you have charging capability?  I would get a regular gas car over a hybrid- cheaper.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

KSA - thanks. Interesting gas/electric comparison as I'm thinking since we'll still be using it for the short groceries and doctors we now get along with with the 30 mile electric range of our beloved Volt, a hybrid would be using the electric part for those trips but the gas would kick in for any long trips which we're now starting to think about, e.g. Vancouver, BC, Olympics, etc. as we'd be able to do them but can't even think about anything more the 15 miles away now.

I actually like the Bolt like your DH has because a 250 mile charge would cover 10-15 short trips on a single charge which, no matter how inconvenient, would be worth it but DW doesn't want to have anything to do with pure electric now that we don't have the convenience of being able to charge where we live and have to go around looking for available EV charges that are compatible with the Volt's plug size (J1772). It is also kind of interrupting on long trips to have to stop to charge it up on the way to anywhere further than Vancouver (150 miles) or the Olympics (~200 mi) but unless we drove up to Murrayland on the way to SE Alaska someday which would be overnighters probably not on our agenda anymore though, who knows?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I hear you, Tet.  Ken doesn't mind long trips in the Bolt.  I do.  I think the whole stopping and charging thing is a pain- and you really have to plan.  One stop is fine, but multiple.....   We have a charger in our garage, which helps.

Marathon Maniac #957

No help here, sorry.  Maybe buy a Toyota Corolla?  That's what I have....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I hear you, Tet.  Ken doesn't mind long trips in the Bolt.  I do.  I think the whole stopping and charging thing is a pain- and you really have to plan.  One stop is fine, but multiple.....   We have a charger in our garage, which helps.

And you never know when the Energy Secretary will have people blocking the charging stations so she doesn't have to wait when she gets there.

LOL, Dave.     Ken said his concern with the Prius type hybrids is that there is just too much "stuff" in the way of mechanics for the gas engine and the electric part.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dave, . . . and other eastern seaboarders - what do the EV'ers do to escape a hurricane?

KSA/Holly - I think it might be worthwhile for me to finesse. . . . I mean, see if DW might get interested in a non-EV gas car again. Thanks

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - Apparently the Toyota Corolla is the best selling car of all time.  I love mine - drives very nicely and gets great gas mileage.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

pfriese

Hey Tet.

I had a Prius before my Volt. Loved both cars, but liked the Volt better since it could get me to work & back on a charge. The Prius was great, but if I think I'd look for a good used Volt. I'm sure there are more of them up there than down here in oil country. Opie has the Prius Prime (plug-in Prius) and loves it.My son is looking into a Bolt or Leaf. He would like to go total electric. I have a Rivian now and really love being totally electric. I just got back from a road trip to Colorado from Oklahoma and had no issues plugging in on the road.

Paul