Masters Running

White Pumpkin 5K - Caro, MI (Read 291 times)

Summary 26:55 8:40/mi 39/64 OA 3/4 AG (60 and above) I've done this race several times and it is part of the annual Pumpkin Festival in Caro. The name, White Pumpkin 5K, has nothing to do with the color of pumpkins. The sponsor is a local chiropractic clinic run by Dr. White. This is a nice small race which doesn't use, or need, chip timing. I expected to see a fair number of people I knew and wasn't disappointed. I think there were about a dozen that I could greet by name. Leading up to the race, the weather forecast had me a bit concerned. The temperature was likely to be around 50 which is fine but there was supposed to be some wind and a good chance of scattered rain all day and evening. It rained off and on all afternoon and was raining as I drove to Caro. As the 6 pm start time approached, the rain stopped and the wind wasn't bad at all. It remained that way for the whole race so the weather was good. My last race, a 5K about three weeks ago was a little short of 5K but my Garmin had given me a pace of 9:54 for the distance it recorded. I hoped that I could do a little better than that. The course begins with about three quarters of a mile going gently downhill, then wanders through a subdivision, and ends by returning up the three quarters of a mile which is much steeper going up than down. As usual, I took off a little fast but cut my speed back shortly after starting. I didn't see a marker at one mile and when I first checked my GPS, it was about 1.3 miles and I was a little over an 8:30 pace. I figured I would try to keep going about that pace even though it was feeling a bit hard. About that time, I was passed by a youngish guy (mid 50s) who spoke to me as though he knew me. I barely know him but he's the father of one of my daughter's high school classmates. He informed me it was his first race. After a bit, I saw a two mile mark on the pavement, but my watch only showed 1.8 miles. I think the mark must have been left over from another year as there have been some minor changes in the course. My pace was still about the same as earlier. At about two miles, I realized I was gaining on George, a friend in my age group. I think I've only beaten him once and didn't expect the gaining to continue. It did, however, and I eased by him. He said, "You've got me, Tom". I figured he'd kick and pass me before the end but he never did. As I started the long upgrade, I was sucking wind pretty bad but figured I should be able to hang in there for three quarters of a mile. When I crossed the 3 mile mark, I was glad to see it and felt like the last tenth was never going to end. The day ended with the requisite, but enjoyable, visiting and awards ceremony. After getting home, I checked my Garmin which had registered 3.15 miles for a pace of 8:33. My mile splits were 8:31, 8:30, 8:35, and 8:55 for the last tenth. Thanks for reading, TomS
    DickyG

Tom... I think these local races are great...no need for chips, etc. We have a similar race...a 10K but the same type of atmosphere...you know lots of the other runners, good food afterwards, and not a crowded field. I think your time was fabulous...way under 9 minute pace. Congrats on a great effort. DickyG

Marathon Maniac #957

a youngish guy (mid 50s)
        I love that... Big grin Excellent race, Tom, and congratulations on beating your arch enemy friend George. Nice job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

well done, Tom! good race and great finish...and I agree that local races are the absolute best!
          stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Great race, Tom. Your shirt sure shows your reasons to run. although I think you sold yourself short on the pace. Should be 8:33 not 9:33? or has my math gone Friday afternoon on me? You also run with some fast "old" guys in your age group Evil grin (revenge from the "old Mrs Selbs Wink ) Kevin (a youngish guy, thank you very much)

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tom, fine race. You showed that young whippersnapper (mid-50s) a thing or two. Dark Horse
              I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                You did great on that final long hill, sucking wind and all! Congrats on a fine pace.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Great race, Tom, and a fine RR. One of these days I'm going to have to stage an invasion and show up at one of these "private" events that you go to up there. Big grin

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

TammyinGP

very very nice Tom!! I like these small races where you know a handful of people - that's how our races are too. And no chip timing here either. too small to make it worthwhile I suppose.

Tammy

Everybody look at rochrunner's new avatar. rochrunner and our Commander in Chief: Separated at Birth? Funny caption too. Dark Horse
                      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                        wooohoooo TomS!! way to go!! great race!! Big grin

denise

SteveP

Tom, As usual, your RRs are a joy. The Caro race you post makes me a little sentimental. I thought hills in that are had been outlawed.

SteveP

Nicely done tselbs. A relaxing local race....no travel worries, you know most/many folks by name....a good time!
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Congrats Tom! Isn't it the truth that the last .1 always feels like .5? :-)
                              -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                              also on Twitter
                              nowor

Wow! Great pace, Old Tom. Sounds like an annual fall event to savor.