Masters Running

Wed 7/16 Master Jaunts (Read 432 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

TSelbs - I googled it for you! We stayed at Vacation Station RV park and I ran down South Meyers Road to West Conrad road which took me out to the Pere Marq. Hwy and back. I also dipped down another road to pick up .5 miles more. If it weren't for the wind that day, it would have been an enjoyable route!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

wildchild

Carolyn

Ribs, that's so cool that you took Riblet with you to Chicago - sounds like some great bonding time. And you only had to work for 20 minutes! I wish my business trips were like that. DickyG, that shirt would be for me too! How did you like running without a watch? For certain runs like I like to wear a watch, but usually go without one. Sometimes I get a general idea of duration by looking at the clock in the kitchen or in the car before and after a run, but many times I don't even do that. Particularly when I run with the dogs - they stop several times during a run so I couldn't get an accurate pace anyway. But as much as I like gadget-less running, I have an admission to make: I asked for a Garmin for my birthday, and DH said its on it's way! Big grin My reasoning was that I want it to measure distance when I'm trail running, as its tough to measure trails on map my run. I don't know how some of you manage to run fast in hot weather. Anything over about 70 degrees makes me slow to a crawl. (Not that I'm fast even in cool weather!) Tom, you call it "character building?" No run yesterday, and only a slow 3 miles with the dogs on Monday, so tonight I'm planning a trail run on the way home from work. This time of year I do all my running in the mountains where its cooler, so I don't do any intervals or tempo runs. Every run is a hill run. I do throw in some hill charges and fast downhill running, but there's also a lot of slow running and walk breaks on the uphills. I know this isn't optimal training. The only flat place to run that isn't hot is the indoor track at the rec center, but I don't like to run indoors when its nice out. I've read that every run should have a purpose - what do you guys think? Is it a bad thing that most of my runs have no specific purpose?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Spareribs - what a wonderful trip! Those are the things that will stand out in his memory when he grows up. DickyG - that shirt should say, "Will Run for Chocolate....Ice Cream..." Wink

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

6 early morning miles at just a bit over 10 minutes/mile. Still relatively cool - it makes a huge difference. My big brother (9 years older) and two of his friends took me to the Museum of Science and Industry when I was about the same age as Ribs' boy. It made me feel very special and important, plus I just loved the exhibits. Good memories all around.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

This time of year I do all my running in the mountains where its cooler, so I don't do any intervals or tempo runs. Every run is a hill run. I do throw in some hill charges and fast downhill running, but there's also a lot of slow running and walk breaks on the uphills. I know this isn't optimal training. The only flat place to run that isn't hot is the indoor track at the rec center, but I don't like to run indoors when its nice out. I've read that every run should have a purpose - what do you guys think? Is it a bad thing that most of my runs have no specific purpose?
            I think with all the varied terrain and trails and varying effort level on the ups adn downs), that you are getting excellent all round training..Charging a hill is as good as intevals. I'm sure you can run those hills with a high enough HR to be considered tempo. I can't think of a better way to keep running fit during the summer than running mountains.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

TammyinGP

Nice trip with your son, Ribs. When I was a pre-teen/teenager, my dad also travelled a few wks each month for business, so once in awhile during the summer I'd go on shorter trips with him when he wasn't going to be consumed all day with meetings. I enjoyed those times. Our air is clear today of the Cali fire smoke. And it is cooling off to low 90's! Cool But it's my DH's bday so I will take him out to dinner tonight after work and maybe we can enjoy a nice walk this evening if the winds don't shift and blow smoke in. I spent the better part of yesterday being constantly dizzy and at times felt near the pass-out stage. I was indoors almost all day, but maybe the smoke was still too much for me. Who knows. Occassional dizzy spells today - but it's not a constant sensation with every breath I take like it was yesterday. I'm in a 10K trail run this weekend. I've never done a trail run before, so this will be a new one for me. I don't check in on the daily, daily . . . but has anyone heard from BTB lately?

Tammy

evanflein

Tammy, happy birthday to your DH! Hope you two can get some time together, a walk after dinner sounds really nice. RE: BTB, I think Twocat ran the Missoula Marathon with him...? I think he's doing really well but doesn't have time or inclination to post. I've wondered how little Amy is doing... Ribs, another voice for how much Riblet will remember this time with dad. My dad always did his field trips on glaciers and most of his business trips were to conferences or meetings in Japan... so I never traveled with him. I really wish I'd spent more time with my dad when I was young, but he was always so busy with field work, research and grad students... Anybody remember that song by Harry Chapin, "Cat's in the Cradle"? I remember my dad getting teary eyed to that one... Now that I have two teenage boys and we're always so busy, I know what he was feeling. DH has been in Anchorage for a few days, and I've enjoyed this time alone with my boys. We've not done a whole lot of organized things together, but it's been just mom and the boys for a few days, and the whole mood/dynamic of the house is different. It's been fun. DH comes home later today, and things will change. It's not necessarily for better or worse, just different. Hard to explain. I'm planning on another run home from work tonight. It'll be my last hard workout before Sunday's race. This race takes so much out of my legs and I'm concerned I don't have much there to begin with. At least I've "got my lungs back," so to speak, after being sick. Just hope the legs are up to that 4 mile pounding downhill surge that is usually the highlight of this race for me...
                  Ribs, another voice for how much Riblet will remember this time with dad.
                  Those "pals forever" times that I spent with my DS when he was that age were some of the best times of my life. Even now, the two of us enjoy just driving somewhere together, and we still talk about places we went and laugh at old silly jokes we shared. I really didn't want to be the dad in that Harry Chapin song. Glad to see that you think the same way, Ribs.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Geez, I hope Ribs remember to find a sunny spot on State Street and belt out a few bars of "Chicago, Chicago, that toddlin' town, Chicago, Chicago, I'll show you around..." for the Riblet. I'm visualizing a little Gene Kelly-esque tapping, too. [it's a toss-up. Ribs is more Astaire-ish, but Chicago is just all Gene.] --I remember trying to figure out the lines in that song when I was kid -- y'know, the ones that run: "they have the time, the time of their lives, I saw a man, he danced with his wife in Chicago, Chicago my home town." Being as how I lived just over east in Detroit, and my mom and dad were great dancers, I knew there was something going on there beyond my ken. 8+ miles today--temps in the 80s only! (50% Humidity--) grins, A ps: boyo boyo, was I glad I got that extra sleep yesterday morning. I love baseball and marathons, but not combined so much!
                    Masters 2000 miles
                    stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Aamos--if you made it till the end, I bow in your presence. 15 innings ending at 1:30 Shocked

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Oh, but remember, I'm in Mountain Time! .......wasn't my hero Al Kaline looking just fine in right field? I loved the pregame show--finally, one that had some meaning and class!
                        Masters 2000 miles

Top 'O the World!

I run with the dogs - they stop several times during a run so I couldn't get an accurate pace anyway. But as much as I like gadget-less running, I have an admission to make: I asked for a Garmin for my birthday, and DH said its on it's way! Big grin My reasoning was that I want it to measure distance when I'm trail running, as its tough to measure trails on map my run. I don't know how some of you manage to run fast in hot weather. Anything over about 70 degrees makes me slow to a crawl. (Not that I'm fast even in cool weather!) Tom, you call it "character building?" This time of year I do all my running in the mountains where its cooler, so I don't do any intervals or tempo runs. Every run is a hill run. I do throw in some hill charges and fast downhill running, but there's also a lot of slow running and walk breaks on the uphills. I know this isn't optimal training. The only flat place to run that isn't hot is the indoor track at the rec center, but I don't like to run indoors when its nice out. I've read that every run should have a purpose - what do you guys think? Is it a bad thing that most of my runs have no specific purpose?
                          That's why I have mine set for auto-pause when dog-running Wink ....& I'm an info geek for the maps & stuff Roll eyes...I do envy your ability to run more often in the mtns than I can manage just now - especially w/the heat we've been having....getting up @ 4:30 to run down here before it heats up just isn't the same Sad ...and that last part is always my question..& it sounds like I have the same "character" of runs as you do ~ ... & how do I log my runs (type/quality) when I have to deliberately look for a "non-hilly" run?....etc. ....so, the kids came over @ 5 this am & we ran down & around Bluffs Regional Park - something like a 600' elevation gain....10 miles/just under 2 hrs...wonder if they'll do that again anytime soon!? Big grin
                          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                            Wednesday – 7.2 easy miles – at a moderate recovery pace - 59:28 (8:15) Avg HR 150 Max 193 87 Degrees – 35% Humidity - boy it's nice to have this low humidity...supposed to end tomorrow.. Cry
                              Too much H&H at 3:30pm so I headed for the treadmill, only 72 F in the house. 4 easy paced miles in 40 Min. Missed the All-Star pre-game because Sad I was out umpiring & didn't get home until 9:00. Only watched 1st 7 innings before bedtime. Definitely was a classic.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

I think Tammy's post rubbed off on me, because I've been feeling a bit weak and dizzy today too. Am going to try for a tempo run on the TM tonight (2 mile w/u, 3 x 2 miles at 7.0 to 7.2mph, 2 mile c/d). I always get nervous about these because sometimes I can complete the workout as planned, and other times I just don't "have it". And I can never tell beforehand which way it is going to go.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."