Masters Running

Weds Boomer/Masters (Read 682 times)

Congrats on the speedwork breger1, and hopeful4ever. I managed to get 7.05 miles in this morning. I had planned to do 12 altogether today (6 in the morning and 6 in the afternoon) but I am worried about my calf which is still sore from Sunday. Last month I managed to injure it a bit and it took four days to heal. Looking at my log though, it seems like it was a lot less serious last time. Basically, I took a day off and that was pretty much that. This time I took two days off and it is not anywhere near fine. At the very least I am almost certainly going to bag the five miles this afternoon and move them to Friday. Here is hoping everybody else stays healthy and if injured recovers soon.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

I can see that today is speed work day. Congrats to all of you. I celebrate roachrunners's 3 miles today. perchreek, your interval runs look awesome. No run yet for me this morning, but I ran 6 miles last night (2 miles w/u, 2 miles at 5k pace and 2 miles c/d. The legs were not happy with me, maybe because I went out for my run after having a sports massage at noon...I don't think I will do that again, running after a message that is. An hour yoga after my run felt good. Wink fjordrunner, I am so glad to see you posting again. We so missed you around here. The saint when is your race? It sounds like you are progressing very nicely in your training. Way to go girl.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Today was an I-ate-too-much-Easter-candy-last-night workout. There ought to be a 12-step program for those malted milk eggs…I admit that I am powerless over Robin Eggs, and that my waistline has become unmanageable…..
        Hey Holly! I did that last week! I love those things! Big grin Dawndaughter2 brought a bag home from the grocery store for me and I polished it in 3 nights. And I had wanted to be down to racing weight by this weekend... Roll eyes 5 miles at GA pace, ~9:34 if I'm remembering correctly. Very windy this morning.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Mornin' folks...or what's left of it her eon the east Coast No running for me except for through airports today. Runningindc, I am waving at you as I sit in National airport. I flew in early this AM for a meeting and now I am on my way to Charlotte, NC. I was happy to see leaves and cherry blossoms from the cab window. Nice! Hi Mainerunnah....you powered right by me on Sunday looking oh so strong during the eastern states 20 miler. Nice speed work and workouts out there. take care of that calf Twocat....and healiing vibes to all on the DL. CNYrunner
            btb, you've had more than your share of problems lately. I hope they get resolved soon. Dave, birthday wishes to your wife. Hi, lame. It's good to hear from you. deez happy birthday to your daughter. Jlynne, I'm glad to hear you're over your stomach flu. Roy, I hope you quickly recover from your problems. roch, nice 3 on the TM comeback trail. Nice long runs for biketm, CNY, PJH, berger (with repeats), and perch (progression). Good job on the speedwork hopeful and Holly. This morning it was in the mid 20s, calm, and clear. I decided that I'd done enough poking along lately and would try to push just a little. I did my 8 mi. in a bit under 1:14 for a 9:13 pace. Three of the miles, including the last 2 were under 9 min and the slowest was 9:35. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
            evanflein

Today was an I-ate-too-much-Easter-candy-last-night workout. There ought to be a 12-step program for those malted milk eggs…I admit that I am powerless over Robin Eggs, and that my waistline has become unmanageable…..
              I don't let those things in the house! Lucky for me, my kids have sort of moved on from the Easter egg thing. Not that they wouldn't eat them if they were lying around... the ones I don't eat, that is. It's easier for me to just not have it in the vicinity... Sorta wish I'd gotten up and ran this morning. It looks pretty nice out there, but the forecast is for snow flurries and freezing rain this afternoon/evening... ugh. Another treadmill run? Hmmm, not the way I thought April would shape up...Plan is for 8 or so tonight, probably during soccer practice... Hi Tramps! Nice to see you posting again! You too, Deb! Hi Lamerunner, glad you're here too!

King of PhotoShop

Gee, Bill and Perch are tough acts to follow. Bill, that sounds like a hard workout and a great piece of evidence regarding your fitness right now. Steve, that progression is almost scientifically precise, well done. Mary, I don't know how you measure that .15, or what you do during that interval, but nice pacing on the 1/4 laps. Tim, maybe you have identified the problem. I think it was Bill who posted that the recovery run should be done just to the point where you feel like running again and then you should stop. I loved that thought. Was it you Bill who posted that first? It's great advice. Liz, wise choice. Drowned rat look is better than reinjury. Lamerunner, you posted late yesterday so I am not sure if everyone knows you are here, but you are a fine runner and it's good to see you here. Same goes for Mainerunnah who I know by a different handle on Active. Maine, you know that you are still my bitter enemy, and I am not too happy with your excellent job in the 20-miler. Knock it off! I did 4.4 slow on the dirt track. Saw the Saint out there doing part of her ten-miler, was envious I can't run with her.
                  All this demanding marathon talk makes me happy that I'm just jogging along for the fun of it, right now.
                  What is this "fun" of which you speak? Tongue

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

btb1490

Happy day after fools day everyone! Any good pranks to report? from yesterday.... enke- hang in there, these are the toughest weeks of the training cycle. Insomnia sure doesn't help. YOu were smart to scale back your workout, now is a prime time for getting sick or hurt. Stopping to pet a cat was a good sign that you were out there to enjoy yourself, which sounds like just what you needed. Thank you for the finger crossing, I appreciate it. Smile Mariposai- I toasted you with a glass of cabernet instead, I hope that was ok. Nice way to start your day yesterday, with the walk and the massage. halllar- too bad you couldn't get dropped off somewhere and run those 5 miles with a tailwind! Hope you had a good date night! Track coaching is a lot more demanding than X/C coaching in my opinion, plus you can run with your kids then! SteveP- anxiously awaiting word of your job prospect... Did the youngin' at the gym survive that comment he made to your friend? Best of luck with the estate sale prepwork.... lots of memories floating around I'm sure. JJJ- I can't imagine why you are so tired. :P dg- not much improvement on the ankle. Still looking like s'mores! I'm in the car on my way to Oz, I'll pick you up on the way, but only if we can stop for ice cream along the way. I was never happier to hear that someone aborted a run. It means you were out there doing it at least! Smile Ribs- you mean spaghetti doesn't really grow on trees? Next thing you know you'll be telling us that money doesn't either. fjordrunner- I'm sensing a lot of muddy shoes after your trek yesterday. I'm glad you liked the photos. I'm on the east coast, in NY. You're wondering how do you catch a sunset over the water on the easy coast. That's my secret! Wink Twocat- a day or two or three off for you could make the difference between getting to Boston in one piece or not. Do the SMART thing please. PJH- I can tell from your posts each day that you enjoy the gift without you having to say it. eliz- every once in a while, we all need those Barnes and Noble days. I hope you get your beach ache taken care of this weekend. deez4boyz- impressive recovery from your race this weekend! How is it you have an 18 year old son when you are only 30 years old yourself? Wink evanflein- your poor treadmill! You put it through the paces yesterday! Can you run while your son is having his practice? mainerunnah- Glad to have you posting, early or late! I'll throw in my "cute grandkids" comment too! Soon to be one more! from today... biketm- Wow, I guess you were at work early, based on your posting time. Have a good run later, and I'm glad you are seeing the importance of recovery runs. WRFB- Gotta love these early spring temperature swings. You'll be ready for anything at Boston. breger- ouch ouch ouch! My legs are burning just from reading about your workout. Very nice! perchcreek- your heartrate stayed pretty reasonable despite your pace increase. A good testament to your fitness level. hopeful4ever- you sure that cat was still alive? I was wondering if someone was playing a belated April fools joke on you. Very well done with your rediscovered speedwork sessions. Keep an eye on aches and pains please. Holly- starting your Boston carbo loading early I see... Wink Jeanne- sorry your bug lasted as long as it did. You were smart to ease back into things. Roy- take care of those aches and pains now, before they get out of hand. Feel better soon! Tramps- You're a great example of just going with the flow. When it comes time for you to adopt a more formal program, you will be so ready for it. dg- bad dg, bad. Avoiding your PT exercises. You'll have to tell me what a procioceptive training program is, then I'll let you know if I have a newer one. Happy sunny day to you too! Smile runningindc- you don't like my cootie legs? Ugh, I hate that sinking butt feeling in the water. I'm glad you are finding your cross training a challenge. Keep up the patience with your rehab, it will be so worth it! rochrunner- slow and steady is the name of the game at this point. Keep at it. Twocat- Please.... don't worry about a schedule and miles at this point! Throw the damn thing out for now and work on getting better. I'm getting on a ferry to CT otherwise, and you won't be happy when I get there. Mariposai- sometimes those sport massages leave you more spent than running itself. Also, running at a 5k pace is not easy either! PDR- did the wind effect your memory this morning? Wink CNY- bring some of those flowers and greenery back with you please. TomS- good to see you kicking it up a notch! Thank you very much for the well wishes Tom! evanflein- I've moved away from the easter egg things too. Unfortunately they've been replaced with snickers and reeses peanutbutter cups. Good move waiting for the freezing rain to do you run in... you need some toughening up! Wink Ribs- I take it your loops are 1.1 miles long? At the rate you are going, you'll be running with the Saint soon enough. Hang in there please. lyndenrunner- you're running but not posting... hope all is well. DDSS. Different day, same stuff. Acupuncture later. After work I'll hit the gym for some elliptical stuff. Was supposed to be the first day of lacrosse practice today, but it turns out that the 6th grade took a field trip to NYC to see Mary Poppins today, so most of the team is missing. Friday is the next practice, the forecast is for heavy rain. Sunday is the first game already! DOH! That may very well be our first practice as well! The new orthotics feel good. It's still very painful to walk though. At this point, I'll be happy when I can at least be able to get out and get some hikes in with pooch. Thanks for all the great posts guys! Keep them coming! Smile A good day to all!
                      Same goes for Mainerunnah who I know by a different handle on Active. Maine, you know that you are still my bitter enemy, and I am not too happy with your excellent job in the 20-miler. Knock it off!
                      Hey there Ribs, you don't know how good it is to be back. And of course I have no intention of "Knocking it off" except maybe to be knocking more PRs off! Wink And ahh yes Bitter Enemies to the end! Evil grin Hey CNYrunner - you aren't saying that you actually saw me are you? I'm not sure about you but that start at Eastern States cost me about 20 seconds! Our group was way at the back of the pack waiting for the "2 minute warning" before we were going to move up towards the front of the pack when I noticed movement out of the corner of my eye and saw everyone off and running! No warning at all crap that sucked, when I got to the end of the bridge and the guy was calling off our time I was at 8:02 and Garmin said 7:42. That was the only mile I had "officially" over 7:45. Oh well another lesson learned and I was quite happy with my official time of 2:29:03 which was a huge PR for me on what was really a final Boston Marathon Paced Long Run. Remember Ribs I Ain't Going Anwhere!! Tongue Edited to correct a spelling error - and to add that I'll be doing a 12 mile MLR when I get home, not sure if I'll get the miles posted by the end of the day though. It is often much easier for me to post in the early AM.
                        btb I'll toss out the schedule and the miles (not that it will take much prodding at this point) but if when I line up at Boston you better be there! Yes, that IS a threat! Smile

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

SteveP

SteveP

dg.

Steve, Cool btb, I've got napkins. I'm sitting on the curb. oops I can't spell. article describing benefits & research: http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/proprioceptive-exercises.html quote from above: "Most remarkably, PVV training tended to balance out strength in the right and left legs of the subjects, improving strength in the dominant leg but hiking strength in the non-dominant leg even more. In other words, PVV training corrected muscular imbalances between legs. Traditional strength training with leg presses and leg curls was unable to accomplish this; in fact, in many cases the traditional training tended to broaden the imbalances between legs." woohoo! the program: http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/proprioceptive-training.htm ok, now you can tell me.
                              Holy Toledo (where does that expression come from?) dg.. I just looked at that web page and the exercise list is nothing if not extensive! Wow! How long does it take to run through one routine? Off hand it looks like a 20 mile run will take less time! Surprised I can see how all those workouts would help. Thanks for posting the link.

....continuing my "run" down the coast where it is truly Spring! I am in Charlotte,NC now and waiting to board a flight for Hilton Head. No complaints....two more meetings and home tomorrow in time for dinner with a run near the ocean tomorrow. Some days this working stuff is just fine. Mainerunnah!.....not only did I see you, I was right behind you for a few miles. You were running with a guy in a cap for awhile and then a larger group came up and you zoomed away. I tried to match your shoulder swing, but alas you were too speedy. You were looking great! I can't imagine you noticed me---orange baseball cap and grumpy about the "silent" start as well! Great racing on Sunday and congrats on the PR. Now to race with both you and Spareribs in the same race! Wink CNYrunner