Masters Running

Weds Boomer/Masters (Read 682 times)

Dave59

What does that sign say that Batman is holding? "Will Work for Suotoby Pants"???

Marathon Maniac #957

I think it may be "stretchy pants." Smile Mainerunnah - I THOUGHT you looked familiar. You're one of the FAST ones... Smile Are you going to WRFB's get-together in Boston? Yes that's an adorable group of grandkids you have. When the new one is born in May, feel free to post a picture... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks AAmos and BTB I am ok but don't get results for 7 days. There were alot of people who looked very ill so I was grateful I could just look at this as an inconvenience and then do my hilly run afterward. XT day only for me.
        TammyinGP

I'm no Spareribs that's for sure, but here's what I found: "The expletive, "Holy Toledo," refers to Toledo, Spain, which became an outstanding Christian cultural center in 1085."

Tammy

TammyinGP

no running for me today, nor tomorrow, nor friday, saturday, sunday nor monday. Strictly cross training for the next week til I am able to get a little issue checked out by my sports chiro. Tuesday is the soonest I can get in. So tonight will be 90 min of high intensity cardio - elliptical and cycling.

Tammy

....Mainerunnah!.....not only did I see you, I was right behind you for a few miles. You were running with a guy in a cap for awhile and then a larger group came up and you zoomed away. I tried to match your shoulder swing, but alas you were too speedy. You were looking great! I can't imagine you noticed me---orange baseball cap and grumpy about the "silent" start as well! Great racing on Sunday and congrats on the PR. Now to race with both you and Spareribs in the same race! Wink CNYrunner
              That guy in the cap is my good friend Brian, he and I ran the whole race together conversing as we traveled the scenic route...we finished 3 seconds apart. Now you have my curiosity...did you know who I was when you saw me...and if so why don't I know you. And at about what mile was it that I passed you...Brian and I weren't passed by hardly anyone the whole way ... about 8-9 guys most of whom I remember quite well and 5 or 6 of those came at about mile 16 or so when a group came upon us all dressed alike and running quite well...we didn't alter our plans and stayed true to our pace although we did slow a bit in the final miles since we were more than satisfied with our times and were pretty sure we wouldn't be placing in our respective age divisions. Your time was still pretty darned good a 2:38 is nothing to sneeze at! Wink
              dg.

Holy Toledo (where does that expression come from?) dg.. I just looked at that web page and the exercise list is nothing if not extensive! Wow! How long does it take to run through one routine? Off hand it looks like a 20 mile run will take less time! Surprised I can see how all those workouts would help. Thanks for posting the link.
                I don't know! um, again I don't know. Wink. just started it this morning, & I didn't get through the whole thing. hoping slightly less than a 20 miler. you're welcome. I hope it does help. sounds promising. I'm glad to get your opinion. one more tempting tidbit. "...ankle-muscle activity had become more efficient following proprioceptive training. Muscle activities which would have supported and reinforced extreme movements were restricted, leading to less total muscular activity during ankle inversion. This is the kind of change that might improve running economy, since unnecessary movement of the ankle would be controlled and energetic cost might be lowered. Both ankle inversion and eversion are normal parts of the gait cycle and thus represent opportunities for economy improvement. Runners who make such enhancements would be able to operate at specific speeds at a lower percentage of their max rate of energy consumption or max rate of oxygen usage, an effect which would make the effort easier to sustain." .. thanks Tammy. a little like "for Pete's sake". my mom used to say "for cracking ice". I have no idea.
                PJH

60 mins or 6.1 mi recovery run ... 9:51 pace ...131 hr. Off and running! Good day to you all! PJ
                    What does that sign say that Batman is holding? "Will Work for Suotoby Pants"???
                    I thought it was: "Will Work for Scooby Snacks"

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Mary, I don't know how you measure that .15, or what you do during that interval, but nice pacing on the 1/4 laps.
                      SR - I have my Garmin set up for the distances. During the .15 I do a fast walk to get my heart rate down and then about 1/2 way through I start a slow jog to get ready for the next interval. Is that a okay?

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

SteveP

Poor Brinkley!!!!! Glad you're feeling better Jlynne I had a really good 2nd interview today. I'll know if there's a final one Thursday. I've got two 2nd interveiws and an assesment as well. Nothing is written in stone yet. Things are coming together. I've been picky about what positions I've applied for. It's cause some concern with DW. This should be my last week on unemployment. Which is kewl. I'm exhausted. After the interview today, I stopped at a store that sells Batman shirts. They're closing up shop and going purley online and collecters convensions. SO the Batman shirts were buy one get one free!!!!! DW is gonna kill me. They also have a 5ft tall Batman free standing Batman cut out. Now that they're closing shop, I gave him a good home. DW is gonna kill me. I hope that Batman Cut out is comfortable on the couch. FIL and MIL are back from AL. Their dog and I went 4.3 miles. In that time, 5 dogs came after us. UGH!! When kids are off of school, dogs are more of an issue around here. 5 is a new record though.

SteveP

SteveP

I'm no Spareribs that's for sure, but here's what I found: "The expletive, "Holy Toledo," refers to Toledo, Spain, which became an outstanding Christian cultural center in 1085."
                          Actually, the term came from an issue of Detective Comics. The story was called "Ghost of a Flea". The Dynamic Duo got hoplessly lost and that marks the point where they decided to get GPS.

SteveP

runningindc - just wanted to congratulate you on your willpower. That was like having a chocolate bar in front of you and turning it down. My 5 yr old daughter informed me that money does grow on trees. She said, "money is made from paper, and paper is made from trees, so you are wrong Mom!" Tammy - what's up?? alignment problem again? IRC, frosty at first, but it warmed up considerably, and was blue blue skies again. Smile I did 12 hilly miles this morning, pretty slow (10:48 pace), but I probably should be going slower than that. I'm kinda sore now. Good news is my pace doesn't seem to slow down at the end of MLR or LR's anymore, the way it used to about a year ago. Other good news, I saw a number on the bathroom scale after my run (a little dehydrated) that I haven't seen in 25 years! Third good news, I SAW HIM TODAY! The octagenarian! He is a fellow that runs the same local trail as I do, however I haven't seen him since last June when he took a spill during a 5K race. We were running in opposite directions today, but I think he runs about the same speed as me! Embarrassed Since he is stooped to one side and drags one of his feet, I can usually spot his signature footprints on the trail, even if I don't see him, but I hadn't detected even those since last year and was kind of worried. Guess he is ramping up to win all those 80+ age group awards this spring/summer. Smile Happy whatever day.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Other good news, I saw a number on the bathroom scale after my run (a little dehydrated) that I haven't seen in 25 years!
                              Now I know where to send all this darn Easter candy.... Big grin Congratulations, btw...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Enke: http://www.runningingp.blogspot.com/ but I refuse to whine or complain or become discouraged! Your run-in with the octagenarian reminded me of someone I ran with for a bit on my run last night. He was an older gentleman, maybe 50's or so? (and by older I simply mean older than me - not old), and is both mentally and physically challenged in some way. Sort of appeared to be mild CP? He was out running, I caught up with him but he was keeping a solid pace of a little under a 10 min mile. I commented to him that I could barely keep up with him and he was sure running strong. Well, he made small talk, said bye and sped up. I guess he wanted to prove me right that I couldn't keep up with him! LOL After a few minutes I didn't want to hold my pace back anymore, yet I didn't want to pass him by either, but I did slowly gain on him, passed him up but told him what an awesome runner he was. He smiled, thanked me and said "good run!" Sometimes it's just a few words like "good run" and the big smile on a fellow runner, knowing that despite a disability he is still out there doing what he loves, that makes the most impact and gives a renewed sense of appreciation to embrace the gift.

Tammy