Masters Running

Weds Boomer/Masters (Read 682 times)

King of PhotoShop

SR - I have my Garmin set up for the distances. During the .15 I do a fast walk to get my heart rate down and then about 1/2 way through I start a slow jog to get ready for the next interval. Is that a okay?
    Well of course it's okay. The idea with intervals is the way you calculate what you are going to do during that interval, or rest period. For the type of exercise you are doing, a brisk walk then a slow jog for such a short period of time is quite beneficial because it means that you are sustaining a pretty high HR through the entire workout (after the warmup and before the cooldown). You may contrast this workout with repeats, or repetitions, which are commonly done at very fast speed, with full recovery, meaning you can actually stand still until you get your wind back. These kinds of workouts are often done at the end of a training cycle, or when the runner wants to focus on speed and form. You are doing just fine where you are, which is why I commented. Here is another area of comparison for you: some people, myself among them, prefer to do 800 to 1000 meters with a bit longer recovery, say 200 meters, but as I look at your workout, that short .15 interval kind of keeps you working in more or less the same way. Nice work Mary. Spareribs

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Thank You Spareribs!! I really value your input. ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Dave59

Just messing around today with a 1 mile run. I have this strange desired to run at least a mile everyday no matter how tired or busy I am. I'm sure it will pass soon enough. Speaking of candy, someone has gone and combined 2 of my favorites. It is called "Reese's Malted Milk Balls". I finally broke down and got a box and they were pretty good although I'd rather eat each type of candy separately.

btb1490

Steve, Cool btb, I've got napkins. I'm sitting on the curb. oops I can't spell. article describing benefits & research: http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/proprioceptive-exercises.html quote from above: "Most remarkably, PVV training tended to balance out strength in the right and left legs of the subjects, improving strength in the dominant leg but hiking strength in the non-dominant leg even more. In other words, PVV training corrected muscular imbalances between legs. Traditional strength training with leg presses and leg curls was unable to accomplish this; in fact, in many cases the traditional training tended to broaden the imbalances between legs." woohoo! the program: http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/proprioceptive-training.htm ok, now you can tell me.
          dg, good stuff. Love those websites! Thanks! In your spare time, look at some books by Mark Verstegen. I have a couple of his training books, and he deals a lot with proprioception. To me, he is "the man" when it comes to cutting edge conditioning exercises. He also does a video series on my cable TV service. If there is something in particular you are looking for, let me know and I'll record it for you and send you a copy. I know last month he did a whole series just on ankle conditioning. Good luck with this stuff, I hope it helps you. Smile And thanks for the renewed interest in it for me that you've sparked.
            I had a really good 2nd interview today. I'll know if there's a final one Thursday. I've got two 2nd interveiws and an assesment as well. Nothing is written in stone yet. Things are coming together. I've been picky about what positions I've applied for. It's cause some concern with DW. This should be my last week on unemployment. Which is kewl. I'm exhausted. After the interview today, I stopped at a store that sells Batman shirts. They're closing up shop and going purley online and collecters convensions. SO the Batman shirts were buy one get one free!!!!! DW is gonna kill me. They also have a 5ft tall Batman free standing Batman cut out. Now that they're closing shop, I gave him a good home. DW is gonna kill me. I hope that Batman Cut out is comfortable on the couch. FIL and MIL are back from AL. Their dog and I went 4.3 miles. In that time, 5 dogs came after us. UGH!! When kids are off of school, dogs are more of an issue around here. 5 is a new record though.
            Hey Steve, glad to hear the 2nd interview was a good one. We're all crossing our fingers for you...I went through what you're going through during 2002-2004. You're amazing for staying so upbeat during these times. See, that 5-foot Batman cutout was meant to go home with you. 5 is the magic number--It's a sign from the gods. DW will understand and you will not be killed Wink Do any of you use this type of Stair Stepper, the one with revolving steps instead of the paddles you push up and down? It reminds me of a mean gerbil wheel but designed for humans. I hate this thing. 10 minutes on this and I wheeze like I am playing the bassoon again, but without the bassoon. The LED says "HAVE A NICE WORKOUT" after I punch in all the data that will make me sweat and wheeze. One day I saluted the message rather rudely Evil grin....my workout friends in the corporate gym cheered. So now when I get on that beast, my peeps say DO IT SISTER! SALUTE IT! Tongue See you at 6pm, STAIR THING!
              Today was the worst "I hate my job day" that I've had in quite a while, and I've had some momumental ones, and as I drove home (after leaving school at 5:30!) my allergies went crazy. Pollen count must be off the charts. I'm taking some time to decompress, doing some yoga later, and going to bed early. I'm off tomorrow (planned before today's day from he$&), so I'm going to do a mile or two in the morning when the pollen is hopefully still sleeping. Also have running class tomorrow, so it may be my first 2-workout day. Reading your posts cheered me up more than usual today, so I wanted to pop in and thank you for letting me share in your amazing running accomplishments, jokes, antics, etc. And thanks for making me smile on a day when I really needed a lift. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Eliz, sorry about the carpy day, But now that thats out of the waY THE REST OF THE WEEK IS GOOD TO GO! Big grin Btb , You are so helpful and inspirational to me and a lot of people here I wish I had some great advice for your problem but you are doing everything and more ( accupuncture) that I would recommend. Please take your time and come back stronger and even more determined. I feel for you knowing how much this meant to you and your little friend, things usually work out for the better if we just relax and take it as it comes. You seem to be a master of that! Positive as you always are. My run tonight was a MLR of 8 miles in about 1:15:00. My left calf has been a little sore this week and I almost took tonight off but the sun and warth pulled me outside. It went fine my calf never really got any worse and after some stretching and ice it feels pretty good right now. If I can talk my wife into a nice leg massage later it will really help a lot Wink Ribs , you sound like you are about ready for the big show again Roch, you seem to be improving also. I hope to meet up with you at the Crim and Brooksie so get better ASAP I must say all this interval talk is very good and after my marathon I will probably use some of this advise to try for some PRs at the shorter distances. Right now just putting in the miles is plenty on theses old tendons. Thats why I have stayed either lurking or posting for so many years there is so much to learn and relearn here. Good runs for everyone

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

I Can Go The Distance

A little late in posting today. Ran at 6 am on the street today. I did an easy 4 miles in 40:35@10:09 pace. Hope everyone is having a great day. Good luck with tomorrow's runs! Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

12 Mile Medium Long Run after work at about 4:00 PM - I was looking to run about 1 minute over marthon pace which is a 7:38. 12.02 miles - 1:43:53 (8:38) I nailed this one which wasn't easy considering the extreme winds we are having, there were times I was being battered from side to side and then backwards as I had to fight the wind and work a little harder on the second six miles. It was work, but not a struggle. I think these kinds of runs while battling the elements really makes you stronger both physically and mentally for those tough times in the latter stages of the longer races. It was bright and sunny with winds of 25 mph gusting to 40 mph and higher with a temp of 40 degrees. I feel completely recovered from Sunday's 20 miler, no stiffnes or muscle soreness at all.
                    SteveP

Today was the worst "I hate my job day" that I've had in quite a while, and I've had some momumental ones, and as I drove home (after leaving school at 5:30!) my allergies went crazy. Pollen count must be off the charts. I'm taking some time to decompress, doing some yoga later, and going to bed early. I'm off tomorrow (planned before today's day from he$&), so I'm going to do a mile or two in the morning when the pollen is hopefully still sleeping. Also have running class tomorrow, so it may be my first 2-workout day. Reading your posts cheered me up more than usual today, so I wanted to pop in and thank you for letting me share in your amazing running accomplishments, jokes, antics, etc. And thanks for making me smile on a day when I really needed a lift. Smile Eliz
                      Liz, After seeing this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=rmULz03wdQ0, I realized that I've never had a bad day at work.

SteveP

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Enke: http://www.runningingp.blogspot.com/ He said the distal tibia is stressed, and although he didn't think I had a stress fracture, he said it's prime for getting a stress fracture if I keep running right now. He recommended I stop running for one week but do heavy cross training, such as cycling or the elliptical (if it doesn't bother the area) to maintain my fitness level. He also recommended I get back in to see Scott, my sports chiro, and have him check it out. The soonest I can get to see Scott is next Tuesday. So we'll see what he has to say.
                        Tammy - okay, go ahead and quit running for a week and do a one hour run this weekend and then 2/1/2/1 until Eugene. No tempo or endurance or anything like that though; you've already done that and just need to keep the muscles primed for Eugene. By not running more than two hours, any discomfort you feel will be because of pain and not soreness/tiredness from running so quit running right away and walk or stop so it doesn't get worse. Tell your sports chiro you can't see him until May 6 'cause he's not gunna say anything now except to stop running for a while (which is what I would say too but I know you wouldn't do it) and they might say DNS and start running on May 10. however, since you don't have any A races this summer, John and I can make sure that you run Eugene slowly enough without exacerbating any digital tibialis or whatever name they say you might have and, if you don't DNS Eugene and can't run after that until June 10, or July 10, or August 10, so what? I know someone that wanted to run 12 marathons last year when he shouldn't have and had to DNS some of this year's marathons but he's happier to miss them than not get the 12-in-a-year. You are going to be miserable if you don't finish Eugene in some time and so am I. It might mean six hours or eight hours but, if you want, we can make sure you do it without getting any worse than if you don't do it. Sorry, but the way I feel, if you are not at the starting line, we are going to go find you and carry you all the way. so there! Big grin

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

steve p - thought of you today ........ there was a car in the parking lot at my sons school and on the hood of the car was a huge batman symbol - also had a few smaller ones on the side and windshield!! btb - i have NO idea how i have a 3rd son turned 18 when i am only 29!! dh even gave me a 29th b-day card this year!! lol holly - i so hear you with the candy, between Easter, my b-day, sons b-day i have totallly overindulged - one more family dinner tom. night with my mom and sister then I am seriously getting back on track - trying a different tactic and starting with Friday instead of waiting for a monday!! no run today - even tho i only worked an 8 hour shift last night i had a very difficult patient and went in on no extra sleep - i was totally beat this morning when i left work and had to stop at the supermarket to pick up things for son's b-day dinner ......... yes, i slept in the parking lot for 15 minutes before going in -- NO LAUGHING BTB!! Blush mainerunnah - nice to see you posting!! that was definitely a strange race start Sunday - i didn't hear a start announcement either - i was on the sidewalk close to the naval base - and had no idea what the real start line was to start my Garmin, but it did say exactly 1 mile where the guy was yelling out the 1 mile times. oh - i was asked to be a volunteer for the Women's Olympic Trials day before the marathon, but had to turn it down because i'll be on my church retreat til later that morning - figures!! but really looking forward to the retreat.............and BTB we definitely have a date for that afternoon and for anyone else who wants to join us -- runners get to pick the outing............short walk around part of the Charles River? Faneuil Hall or North End for a bite to eat?? let me know.........i'll be around and will have a car for transportation!!

denise

Teresadfp

One day at a time

mainerunnah - I'm impressed that you ran today! I have to admit that I was really happy it was my rest day, because I don't think I would have run in that wind. DS15 ran 8 miles in it, wearing shorts and short sleeves. He actually admitted to being a little cold! And of course he and his teammates ran the "wrong" way, so they were facing into the wind on their return leg.
                              Oh my gosh, Steve, I can hardly breathe I'm laughing so hard. (Does that count as cross-training?) A friend at work and I play a game - every Monday, we try to come up with a job that would be worse than ours. (OK, so our jobs really aren't THAT bad; but we ARE having fun with it.) Last week hers was "cleaning toilets in the rest stops on the NJ turnpike." I can't wait to send her this video! Thanks for making me laugh! Big grin I know I'll find the right job, or figure out how to deal with this one, eventually. Meanwhile, I wish you the best in the new job I hope finds you soon. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

GreenMan

Dromi, I'm touched by your avatar. Godzilla has always been one of my heroines. A victim of bad press in my opinion. I still have my model from the early sixties in the attic. Tam, Tet is making an offer you can't refuse. Planks - 5 x 1 mins (one min rests) walked a mile in the woods with DW to our favorite picnic spot. Quads should be runnable by tomorrow, toes are crossed. My calves are bucking like spring calves to get back on the trail. SteveP, you're a one man riot! Big grin jjj
                                Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.