Masters Running

Saturday, 6.6.15 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Lots of good commentary yesterday, caffeinated or not.

Slo, congrats to you and the rest of the bureaucratic butt kickers! That's a fantastic project, and it is terrific that each year's class will make a contribution. Great planning, and great work!

Good luck getting your wallet back, Tet.

Good luck in today's 5K, Roch - don't hurt anything!

And good luck to Holly in today's 50K too!

Welcome back, Marj & Henrun - sounds like you had a great trip! It's amazing that you ate and drank your way through France and came back weight-neutral - well done!

Gorgeous pizza, Mariposai!!

5.7 moderately-easy RW miles in 51F temps, and under cloudy, spritzy skies as an overnight rain squall moseyed out to sea. I've stretched and showered, and DW and I are heading to our favorite dive for breakfast, before I have to scoot up to Portsmouth for this morning's racewalking training/coaching session.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Morning Jay,

Good run for you on this beautiful day. Went out and ran in an unofficial 5k free run they have every month in Ottawa around the Experimental farm. Ran an unofficial 19.49 for my first race in 6 years on little training (17minute 5ks are in the past). That was hard and I have to say I let people pass me and did not fight for position like I use to. Twenty pounds, injuries, little to no running over the years has made running much more difficult. Love to run, not sure I love to race like I use to...

Have a great day everyone and hug your family and close friends.

Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Dave59

Hey Tall - breaking 20 is nothing to sneeze at.  Great running.

Since my race limit is a half marathon, my 12 mile runs are like the 20 milers people do for their marathon training. Today was another 12 miler. So much nicer than last Saturday when it was 70 & humid. Today was 50 and crisp. That made me about 5 minutes faster, but the best thing is I felt good at the end. My legs feel trashed, but I don't feel sick and wiped out.

I sure hope Holly has similar weather down in Ohio for the 50k.

I'll be close to another PW in the race in 3 weeks (depending on the weather) but I believe I'll be able to finish without much trouble. I feel bad sometimes about the shape I am in, but with work being crazy and the house stuff going on, there are times I am also pleased that I haven't just quit and gave up on the running.

Our open house is tomorrow and the Cottonwoods are at peak shedding time. We have drifts of the white stuff all around the edges of the driveway. I am going to try and scoop up what I can with the lawnmower so it looks a little nicer outside and less of it gets dragged in the house.

The other task is cleaning up the bird crap which seems excessive this year. Big blotch of it on my bedroom window. Not too appealing when you open the blinds.

Other than that we are already in good shape for tomorrow so it won't be a very busy day of cleaning.

mrrun

King of PhotoShop

Welcome back to Henry and Marj. I am really happy to have them home as they were making me seriously angry.

Tall, what Dave said about sub-20.  Very nice time.

Beautiful job Mariposai.  What temperature did you do the pizza at to get that beautiful browning?

I am glad you won last night Aamos.  Would be tough to lose to a pitcher who is ambidextrous.  What a fun thing that must have been to watch. He has a special glove to use on either hand.  I would like to see him pitch.

Saint and I did 3+ at the park this morning just to get our weekly quota, 35+ for me, 33+ for her.  Steamy out there.  Spareribs

Henrun

71 yo world record for mile (Henrun to write more)

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/06/05/concord-track-meet-like-other/mVLdPY0Mi6nYMntacb0iNM/story.html

We're so proud of our New England 65+ Runners Club president. She keeps setting AG world records and is a very humble and gracious woman.

Having completed our 'back to reality' shopping we're about to head out for a run.

Jay, thanks for welcoming us back. Tall, congrats on being back to running and, even if you don't feel like racing again, you had a great time and you'll enjoy your runs even more.

Henrun

Welcome back to Henry and Marj. I am really happy to have them home as they were making me seriously angry.

it's a tough life, but someone has to suffer

Welcome back mrrun and henrun.

Tallrunner that is one seriously fast time!

In good news the Rosie Ruiz Relay Team just signed up its 9th member!  If you want in, now would be a good time to pull the trigger!

In less good news, I had planned to go running with the local Joggers Club.  But my hamstrings were sore and stiff.  I will not take any chances with them, so it was an hour on the elliptical instead.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hey friends!!  So wiped out here!! Worked 2 double shifts this week as we are short staffed while learning this new computer documentation -- think I am done with the doubles until after Patriot on 6/20 - they really are draining!!

Ran my 1st 6.2 mile run since Christmas on Thursday and my heel did ok -- a little sore in one spot but the chiro thinks that might be where the heel spur is rubbing against soft tissue. It's still making progress and I'm feeling optimistic.

Today 60.6 miles on my bike and I survived my 1st crash thanks to a careless van driver who rolled right thru a stop sign -- I didn't have one on my side but slowed because I had a feeling he wasn't stopping. Tried to turn and almost turned right into the van but went down pretty hard - of course the driver never stopped! A few other drivers did to make sure I was ok and I was able to get back on my bike and continue -- just a few scrapes and bruises thankfully!! Also ran 5.2 miles to get in a good brick workout!!

Now if only it was time for bed - LOL j/k

Have a wonderful weekend all!!

denise

mrrun

Deez - that's really scary - glad you weren't hurt - tho you will ache tomorrow.  Biking is lots of fun, but can be dangerous.

Tall - that's super fast, enjoy the time

Jay - happy coaching and racewalking

twocat - prevention is always a wise move and most of the time we ignore it

Ribs - nice consistent mileage for you and saint

ran 5+ this morning. finally caught up on all the return-home errands, so monday i can get to the archeology dig that stumpy referred to. it's happening in downtown Boston at the old city hall and getting lots of publicity.  what henry didn't mention is that our 71 yo friend ran a 6:37 mile, 10 seconds faster then previous world record.

marj

Mariposai

A lot of fun activities going on here.

I hope Holly is not having the 90f weather we are having here today.

Spareribs,  the pizza is baked at 425. The secret is to prebake the dough  for like 8' first before you put the ingredients on top. Also using a pizza stone helps. I didn't last night.

11 muggy miles for me this morning. I left for my run at 8 and it was already too warm for a pleasant stroll. The Steady Pacer joined me for the last 5.

Tall, that is one speedy race. It is so good to have you back here again.

Dave, good luck with the house.

Off to prepare my chocolate fountain for a grad party.

Cheers

Posie.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave, I've also been scooping up that cottonwood fluff out of my garage. It's tough to corral since the slightest breeze sends it flying.

Scary stuff, Denise! I hope nothing aches when you get up tomorrow, which is usually when you find out what got hurt. I have a couple of tricky intersections around here where I have to be careful due to drivers turning right on red without either stopping first or looking.

I wish I had Tallrunner's problem of being "so out of shape" and barely breaking 20 minutes in a 5K. Sheesh!

As it was, I made my take-it-easy goal of just breaking 30 minutes in today's 5K and ran a 28:46. I'm getting used to the idea that what used to be my EZ training pace of a few years ago is now my race pace! I actually ran faster than that in the 5K on Pi Day in March, but I was totally out of condition over the winter and that's how I got hurt.

Anyway, I felt good afterwards and nothing is hurting, so mission accomplished. The time was only good enough for 7th out of 20 in the 60-69 AG (I think the walkers were lumped in there). The winner was 67 with a 24:15 time. Being put on by the senior center this run attracts a bigger group of oldsters than is usual.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Ran an unofficial 19.49 for my first race in 6 years on little training

Nice!

Marj and Henry - your trip sounds wonderful!  Can you post some pics?

Deez - Yikes!  Glad you weren't smushed!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

I'll be close to another PW in the race in 3 weeks (depending on the weather) but I believe I'll be able to finish without much trouble.

Dave - you do realize that the race is just an excuse for the party, right?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Holly, and you wont tell us how your 50k went?

I just read Deez4boys' post. I am so glad you are Ok. 62 miles of biking would put me to sleep all day. Nice job.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard