Masters Running

Wednesday, August 24...... (Read 479 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Holy Humidity! I thought we were done with this stuff. 3.5 miles with Brinkley, just trying to keep it slow and easy and he was okay with that today. I am glad that everyone is okay after the eathquake yesterday. A good way to get the blood flowing without even going for a run!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tramps

Thanks for starting us off, Mary.

We're all cleaned up here.  Some schools closed due to structural damage.  Quite a few historical buildings in nearby Fredericksburg were damaged--chimneys toppled over, brick facades collapsed, and the like.  But it could have been much, much worse.  A solid 4.2 aftershock last night that was more the vibration-type earthquake I've experienced before.  None of that rolling, suspension bridge feeling. 

Now we gear up for the weekend hurricane. Smile

A true recovery run this morning on tired legs: 6 miles @ 9:12.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

Probably just a rest day here.  Going through a little bit of a life change (no not that kind).  Older daughter is teaching as a graduate assistant and also taking classes and her schedule is weird.  Class last night from 7-10, and teaching this morning.  So I put the grandkid to bed last night and helped get her off to daycare/preschool this morning.  I'm going to have to readjust workout times when I get this thing figured out a little better.

Ribs - Hope you had a great birthday yesterday.

People around here in Midland Michigan claimed to have felt the earthquake.  They must be super-sensitive types.  With the washer and dryer going on the other side of the wall from my office, and a full pot of coffee in my system, things would really have to rock for me to notice.

TomW - "Lets not jump to conclusions" had me chuckling all day.  It's those simple one liners, delivered at the exact perfect moment that I enjoy the most.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Tramps - good to hear that damage was minimal.

Day 3 of the great hotel soap bar experiment.  Aboslutely no scent whatsoever.  But the lather was still plentiful, so I guess I'll use it again tomorrow.

I really hate clingy shower curtains that attach to your legs.  The manufacturer knows there's a problem, because they have the little magnets sewn into the bottom of the curtain.  Unfortunately, it's made for a shower inside a tub, since the magnets are about 8 inches from the bottom of the curtain.  And this gym  has stand-alone shwers, so the magnets are drawn to skin, not surface.

Enough of the petty ranting.  Lift, step, spin this morning.  Sweaty fun.

Mike E

MM #5615

It always amazes me that I can love so many people with all of my heart.  Yesterday was my oldest daughter’s birthday and, today, my youngest daughter turns 33.  Larva.  Her real name is Lori but she’s been called Larva or Larv since she was in third grade.  Larva and Missy are so completely different and, yet, they are best friends.  And I love them both with all of my heart!

Larva was born with a dislocated hip and blind in one eye.  We got the hip taken care of early on but, of course, we could do nothing about the eye.  The thing that has always impressed me about Larv is—she never used her little disability as an excuse for not being able to do something.  She was MVP on both of her high school and college soccer teams and, as a basketball player, she once won an award in high school for having the highest percentage of made free throws in our conference. 

Today her passion is coaching soccer.  She coaches her daughters and nieces during the summer and fall, a U-13 premier team in the summer, and she’s the high school’s JV coach.  And the girls love her.  There have been girls who have intentionally not made varsity just so they could play for her.  I think Larva is my hero.

Here she is with the kids...

And with her JV team...

I told you they loved her....

And she loves goofing around with them...

At their end of year banquets, she always surprises them with something different.  Here she is as Erma Peasly...it's a long story...

And here are my girls...Larva and Missy...

How could you not love these girls?!

Okay--that's it.  My next kid's birthday isn't until October so you get a little break...

Dave59, check your messages.

Beautiful daughters Mike.  I have 2 DD's also (and a DS) and cannot imagine not having them around.  They are both different and special in their own ways.

No earthquake was felt down here.  I've never felt one ever for that matter, not even on my trips to California.  I've been through Hurricanes though.  If I never go through another Hurricane that will be just fine with me.  Those of you up the East Coast, keep your eyes and ears open.  Get prepared as you are able.  Irene looks to be a big one.

Wednesday is Tempo MLR day for me.  I lengthened the MLR a bit and turned up the Tempo Pace a notch this week.  11.3 miles with miles 7, 8, 9, and 10 at tempo pace.  (HM Pace basically.) 78° and 78%.

Mile Pace Avg HR
              7 8:08 153
              8 7:57 158
              9 8:06 159
              10 8:00 161

Normally during the 2nd Tempo mile I might try to get into a Cruise groove.  But this morning there was another guy running on the other side of the road and I certainly couldn't let him stay with me.  So I pushed a bit.  A very good workout for me today.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

..beautiful family Mike//..........hiking and poolrunning ( done seperately) in about an hour......

.............good running guys

ps

''hi'' hpoeful

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

lamerunner

Good morningl More nice photos Mike. Tramps, glad there was not worse earthquake damage. My mother is fine,  was out diong errands and did not feel it but said her neighbor was taking a nap and the bed shook. They may be hit harder with Irene. We shall see... I think we may get it SUnday afternoon or Monday.

Easy 5 miles this morning; planning some tempo intervals at lunch.

Happy Wednesday!

Tramps glad you and your home are fine post earthquake.  Kind of amazing that so far I have not heard of any injuries.  I saw something on the news saying that the earthquake was felt so far away, relative to a west coast quake, because the land out here is a lot denser.  Yet another bit of useless information to add to my mental collection!

Quick rant on innumeracy:  I want ads to stop saying, "Contains four times less fat . . ." and the like.  Here is what that means.  If product A has 3 grams of fat and your product contains "four time less" that would be -4*3 = -12.  I seriously doubt any product has minus 12 grams of fat!  Angry  How come they cannot just say the product contains one-fourth as much fat?  That is actually accurate!  Grrr....  Okay nobody cares other than me but it really bugs me.

Today was elliptical day.  Done.  Now back to work.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Right on Twocat!   That is like those spray butters that say zero calories ..... for what, one squirt?      It is deceptive advertising.

hi TW!! 

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

King of PhotoShop

I like the word "innumeracy." I have John Allan Paulos' book of that title right next to me on my bookshelf. He is a professor of math at Temple I think and a wonderful guy. We shared some correspondence at one time on this subject.

Great daughters Mike.

Thank you all for the b'day wishes.  Yes, it was sensational, and the messages I got on Facebook were just amazing.  My RP sent me a beautiful card and on the front was this quote I wanted to share with you:

"I ran and ran every day, and I acquired a sense of determination, this sense of spirit, that I would never, never give up, no matter what else happened."  Wilma Rudolph

Bill, that was some nice tempo run.  I ran similar pace, but in an interval workout. I figured that my 5K pace is about 7:43, so I wanted to do half-miles at about 4 minutes or so.  Today was 6 x 1/2 mile with a quarter mile jog rest at 7:58  pace.  My RP, who is way faster than I am, did this alongside me and talked the whole way.  9.2 miles today.  Very happy with this.

Tomwhite, that line made me laugh because of the movie "Office Space."    Spareribs

BTY

I'll be back....but I noticed in my log that I went over 1,000 miles for the year yesterday, and that is the earliest (by far) that I have ever done that.   My mileage goal for 2011 is 1500 miles, and this means I'm over a a week ahead of schedule. 

I have a six-miler planned 20 minutes from now that includes 4 miles at my target HM race pace.  I've done 3 miles at pace the past two weeks.  Adrenaline is flowing almost as if I had a 5k at lunch time. 

Breathe, Brian, Breathe.......

Mike E

MM #5615

I'm sneaking out at lunch to get my run done.  I've got stuff going on after work  today.  I'll only have time for 6 miles, so that will just have to be enough. 

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike - I love the pictures of your family!

BTY - very nice mileage!

Breger - excellent tempo run.  I have a question for you about the 5k plan.  The next workout you listed is one mile at 5k pace, recovery, then 1/2 mile at 5k pace.  Is that all?  Doesn't seem like enough of a workout...

Yesterday I did another 3.55 slow miles during DD's soccer practice.  86 degrees and my wolfed-down veggie burger during the quick turnaround after work didn't sit well, so I didn't push it.

4 easy-pace miles for me this morning in a refreshingly breezy 74 degrees.

14yo DS cut himself shaving this morning and was concerned that it was noticeable on his face.  I assured him that, even if it was, it was a "manly wound" and "I cut myself shaving" was better than "my little sister whacked me with her Barbie" or some such.  Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Breger - I have a question for you about the 5k plan.  The next workout you listed is one mile at 5k pace, recovery, then 1/2 mile at 5k pace.  Is that all?  Doesn't seem like enough of a workout...

Run some miles at EZ pace at the beginning (3 to 6 maybe) to get nicely warmed up.  Then, of course, run a mile or so at the end as a cool down.  It is fairly typical when running harder workouts to sandwich the harder stuff inside some easy paced miles.

Think about it this way ... you will be running about 1/2 the distance of a 5K race at 5K pace.  I think you'll find when you finish that last 1/2 mile @ 5K pace you will know you've done something.  Wink

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong