Masters Running

Alaska Maniac Runs Boston (Read 392 times)

Way to go Erika! I am thrilled for you and also not surprised. Your speed in the last months was right there and your training through tough conditions and up and down the hills served you well. I too am surprised and sorry we didn't run into each other (yeah, I laughed when I read that in your post.... Big grin) Thanks for the great report and congratulations on re-qualifying like a 35 year-old while looking strong and beautiful the whole way. 3:30 at Boston '09 Karin
      Great Job! And nice RR.
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
      coastwalker

Hi Erika, To travel from AK and run a BIG PR and requalify at Boston is amazing! You rarely hear of people setting a PR at Boston, and to beat your previous best by 11 minutes is simply outstanding. Congratulations on a magnificent race! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!! amazing race from an amazing marathon maniac!! congratulations!!

denise

Head Procrastinator

Great report and great PR! Not many PR in Boston let alone even meet their time goals. You've definitely got another PR in you. It was great meeting you and Peter. Sorry we didn't see you at the water stop, don't know how we could have missed you in that maniac jersey though. PS, about those LONG URLS, this will make them smaller for you http://www.tinyurl.com Barb
            ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
              An eleven-minute PR??? On the Boston Marathon course??? What an amazing run, Erika! And you really do write an excellent RR to go with it. I'll be interested in following your career over the next few years. Make sure you stick around the forum!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mariposai

I waited for a morning of solitude to read your report Erika because I wanted to really savor every word of it. I must confess, I read the report twice, once for the heart and once for the mind and probably will read it again before the weekend is over. I just love the way you described your experience to us. Speed did not hinder your enjoyment of the moment. WTG girl. You really nailed that race as I knew you would. A PR of 11 minutes in Boston is something to be proud off. Congratulations my friend.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Erika.. You nailed it!! Way to go! You lost me in the "just a hilly training run" part. You really stuck to that pace. What I can't believe is afterwards when you told me your quads were not sore and squatted up and down to prove it. I had a hard time with the 6" curbs! You are one strong runner and you have alot of faster races ahead! Congratulations on an excellent finish!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

seemomgo

You go girl!!! Terrific race for you. I am so happy for you! I don't know how you do it with all of the travel and the training in Alaska! You definately are the toughest one here. So nice that you were able to run with Perch, see Bob and enjoy the atmosphere! Congratulations - you so deserce this great Boston experience!!!
                      Wow, Erika, what a strong race! Congrats for you, big time! No sore quads? So are hills your secret? Weight training? Sorry you had to wait around for so long after the race. But everything else went pretty smoothly, and fast! Those Alaska runners sure are fast, must be some special air you got going up there.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Awesome job, Erika! I can live vicariously through your marathon experience! I really may just run a marathon one day due to "knowing" you! Your report gave me goose bumps. Teresa
                        huskydon

Wow! You ran an amazing race! Congratulations! And all the way from Alaska, no less. Thanks for the wonderful report! huskydon
                          btb1490

She's a maniac, maniac on the course And she's running like she's never run before She's a maniac, maniac on the course And she's running like she's never run before I knew you'd do well! Smile You worked really really hard for this one, and it payed off big time! On a tough course! On a warm day! With blisters! Yep, they breed 'em tough where you come from! I'm really happy for you and very impressed with your run. It was a real honor for me to be able to share a few steps of it with you, thank you so much for tracking me down out there Erika and Steve. Please take a well deserved rest. You have many more PR's to come, I predict! It was nice to finally meet you and your husband.
                              What a great race report and fantastic PR... at BOSTON, no less. I'm so glad you found everyone and went to Rock Bottom -- I'm still feeling guilty about the W thing. 3:38 is a great time, if I say so myself Smile . Well, an 11 minute PR really is wonderful, especially in the heat you must have felt -- I was hot and I'm a lot more used to it than you are. It was great meeting you and we're looking forward to seeing you again soon. Lou

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

What a great race you had, Evan. You met a bunch of boomers, beat the heat, got a big PR, and another BQ. It sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed the whole trip. Congratulations. TomS