Masters Running

The All New Weekly Newbies, All are Welcome! (Read 665 times)

ah Mike. Well you know where to find the rehab thread.

Quick hello to all of you. Will catch up more later.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

BTY

Hi all,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in, all unsolicited and everything, but I like to talk about striders. Striders are my friend, and they can be your friend too. 

Typically, intervals are a workout in themselves.  You know, you go to the track, you warm up for a couple of miles, you run a lap or two around the track, trying to hit a prescribed time, you rest for a couple of minutes, do another one, rest, repeat; then you cool down.  There is a lot of variation, but there's your plain vanilla Intervals workout.

Striders are usually part of another workout, not the main ingredient. If I'm doing striders, chances are I am either at the end of a recovery jog, the day after an Intervals, tempo or Long run workout; or I just warmed up and am about to run a tempo or intervals workout; or maybe I just finished warming up and stretching before a race (anything shorter than a 10k for me), and am finishing preparing for the race. 

With the exception of  the day after a race, if my legs are stiff and sore from the previous day's "Quality" workout, striders rejuvenate my legs. 

I've often read the "right" way to do them, also,but I get good results just doing this:   (I can't seem to do what the magazines prescribe)

I start running at a fast pace, a bit faster than 5k race pace, but not like I'm sprinting to the finish line.  I know that once my legs are loosened up, 33 left heel strikes equals 100 meters for striders;  but on the first one or two striders, it might only equal 60 or 70 meters. In either case, that's about the point where, if I were to continue on at that effort level, I would start breathing more heavily; so that's where I begin to jog easier again.  By the time I've done 4 or 5, if I'm not back to 100 meters, I don't do any more because I just figure I'm asking for an injury; otherwise I do a total of 5 or 6 and feel much better for doing them.

Brian

HappyFeat

By the time I've done 4 or 5, if I'm not back to 100 meters, I don't do any more because I just figure I'm asking for an injury; otherwise I do a total of 5 or 6 and feel much better for doing them.

Brian

Brian, it's still murky for me.

What does this part mean?

How would this translate into a timed effort?

What if I don't have a "5K race pace" ?? Then what speed should I run?

How much should I rest in between the sets?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

HappyFeat, I think I get what he means... once you're warm, you run harder and faster than you can normally maintain for more than 10 seconds or so, sort of pushing it to a harder point for yourself but not so long that it would feel efforted. Does that make sense? That's the coasting/floating thing that I've heard mentioned, and up until just reading BTY's post, I never understood that part either. It's not about the form of your stride or how you're physically running that's floating, but the effort of it. A sort of "look Ma, no hands!' thing... but obviously the hands have to come back as you realize you're not going to have the gas to run that fast for any longer. I think I used to intuitively throw these speed spurts in at the end of a 5 or 6 miler in my younger running days. When you feel strong at the end of a decent run, you can play with bursts of speed that don't tire you out. I just never knew they had a name.

HappyFeat

OM, thanks for clarifying.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

OM, thanks for clarifying.

Um, I'm not sure I really did help, once I reread what I wrote.... but it made sense to me at the time! Smile

BTY

Brian, it's still murky for me.

What does this part mean?

How would this translate into a timed effort?

What if I don't have a "5K race pace" ?? Then what speed should I run?

How much should I rest in between the sets?

Ok, here's what I meant there.  I was a little briefer than I wanted to be in order to get out for my run.   Big grin 

If my legs are feeling pretty tight, especially in the hamstrings, then the striders I do (33 left heel strikes) are going to be shorter than 100 meters long, because each individual stride-length is shorter than it will be once I loosen up.  This is typical of the first few striders I do during a recovery jog, the day after a long hard run or a difficult intervals workout.  If simply running a few striders lengthens my stride on subsequent repetitions, then they are doing what I feel they are supposed to be doing at that moment.  If my stride does not lengthen, then my body is probably telling me to shut it down, and go rest. At that point, instead of being supportive of active recovery, they are more likely just breaking me down further.  Not what I want the day after a hard workout. 

For me - when I'm finally doing the "float" thing on the final repeats, I'm running at about the same speed that I would in 200 meter intervals - not a 200 meter all out race, but 200 meter intervals.  I use the McMillan tables to determine by pace in intervals.

If you don't have a 5k race pace, do you have a recent all-out performance at any distance?

Sometimes I run striders as the 2nd half of a 4 mile recovery jog. I'll stride for 100 meters, then jog easy to the next 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile marker.  If I'm doing them at the end of a regular workout, as part of my cool down, I'll stride for 100 meters, then jog for 100 meters.  A lot depends on whether the terrain and pedestrian traffic will safely allow me to run at that pace.

I'll also sometimes include them right in the middle of an Easy Run, in which case they are called surges rather than strides, but they're basically the same thing, the way i do them.   If I throw them into a 6 or 7 mile easy run, practicing surging and then returning to easy pace, it's easier for me to throw one or two of them into a 5k race, and then return to race pace.  If I only do them when I'm jogging slowly, I'm less likely to have confidence that I an use them in the middle of a race.  Simply from a strategic perspective, most people go out oo fast in a 5k race, so if you find a good race pace, then run a little faster for 100 meters, you separate yourself from the people that you are running alongside, and it makes it harder for others to pace off of you. But that's probably outside of the scope of the question. Sorry.

Brian

Rindaroo

Debbie - hi there!  Okay did Elliptical & weights again last night! shocking...  lol  actually it feels good because I can't run at all right now.  Its really bothering my neck, and I figure I need to get some decent exercise while Im strengthening the muscles around my neck..    Have another massage on Monday, so we'll see what she says.. well compared to 2 weeks ago.  How are you?  everything ok?

Beginner all over again

I'm making a come-back.

I don't know whether anyone remembers me, but I remember you all.

I took a six-month break from running

(...and gained twice as many pounds...)

but

I'm back.

And I'm a Newbie again!

Think I can walk-jog-slog through a HM six months from now?

We'll see... I'll give it a go in the training.  I don't mind a slow finish time

:-)

I'm lacing up and out the door.

I'll be back later to catch up with you all and meet the new folks

Smile

...Welcome Back Frances//.......I think we all take turns being Newbies.....

Run Smart.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Beginner all over again

...Welcome Back Frances//.......I think we all take turns being Newbies.....

Thanks!

Is that how this works, okay, my turn to Be Newbie again. Wink

And I'm back from my "Run" 

3 miles on my Log.

And I'm doing the LHR training so HR right in Target Zone.

Yay me Smile

HappyFeat

Frances! of course we remember youBig grin  Welcome back. You're doing great already with 3 miles. Sure you can do a HM in six months - we'll help!Wink

Beginner all over again

. Sure you can do a HM in six months - we'll help!Wink

Thanks everyone.

Today mark's my fourth "run" and last day of my week (Monday start)

I'm going to do my Hour Walk/Jog again.

I'm really feeling this effort, ugh!

It's not fun to start over, but I have my 28-week plan and I'm 1/28th done with it so far!

Wink

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Frances - glad I checked this thread in a Forum I am not very active in and kind of lurk my way thru... Welcome back and you can definitely finish an HM in 6 months. 

bob e v
                              2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

HappyFeat

I'm really feeling this effort, ugh!  It's not fun to start over,  

We all know the feeling, Frances. Don't let it get you down. You'll be over the hump soon. Have a great week!